Random Track Talk

TimTheAzn

On 10/9/2020 at 10:29 PM, redkow97 said:

The fast guys are in the 1:05’s now. 

anyone under 1:08 can complain about the surface. 😘

Surface is junk

Kidding.. I will say the patches are in a pretty bad spot but overall the surface is great. I will also note that I dont think the actual patches have the grip of the normal asphalt, cant get near the drive out of the turns while on the patch that you can on the normal surface. 

Edited by Jester_

Great way to end the season at my favorite track.

Yes I finally did replace that damn slip on. But it was put on sunday morning and I was still too hazy from saturday night to ride.:lol:

PBM_0069-(ZF-3464-37661-1-001).jpg

PBM_0072-(ZF-3464-37661-1-002).jpg

PBM_1305-(ZF-3464-37661-1-003).jpg

PBM_3004-(ZF-3464-37661-1-004).jpg

Edited by TimTheAzn
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OSUYZFR1 said:

Nice. What do you like better about it? I think I’m switching it up next year also. Probably gonna keep the R1 as well

To be honest I like pretty much everything about it more than the R1 except for the electronics. I like how stable it is in the corners, I like the power delivery more, it feels like it has way more mechanical grip... very confidence inspiring but some of those things are personal preference. The stock GSXR electronics suck, this has the Yosh EM-Pro "like the YEC ECU for yamaha". This is a KWS built bike, has lots of little upgrades on it but the EM-Pro has the KWS flash on it for TC\Wheelie control. It is nowhere close to the R1 in terms of wheelie control but I have heard the TC is close to the R1 I just didnt quite push the bike hard enough to get a feel for it yet. The first day on the bike just cruising around at PIRC on Road Atlanta gearing and I was only a half second off the times on the R1 and I still have to re spring the bike as well as make a few other adjustments to it. I cant wait to get used to this thing though, I really think this is a better platform for me. 

18 minutes ago, Jester_ said:

To be honest I like pretty much everything about it more than the R1 except for the electronics. I like how stable it is in the corners, I like the power delivery more, it feels like it has way more mechanical grip... very confidence inspiring but some of those things are personal preference. The stock GSXR electronics suck, this has the Yosh EM-Pro "like the YEC ECU for yamaha". This is a KWS built bike, has lots of little upgrades on it but the EM-Pro has the KWS flash on it for TC\Wheelie control. It is nowhere close to the R1 in terms of wheelie control but I have heard the TC is close to the R1 I just didnt quite push the bike hard enough to get a feel for it yet. The first day on the bike just cruising around at PIRC on Road Atlanta gearing and I was only a half second off the times on the R1 and I still have to re spring the bike as well as make a few other adjustments to it. I cant wait to get used to this thing though, I really think this is a better platform for me. 

That’s interesting about the power delivery. I love the way the crossplane comes out of corners. I need to see if Mark J will let me ride his sometime.

30 minutes ago, OSUYZFR1 said:

That’s interesting about the power delivery. I love the way the crossplane comes out of corners. I need to see if Mark J will let me ride his sometime.

Again some of it is preference but the GSXR isn't as brutal on power delivery, I think it helps you control wheel speed and then there is that top end power. My bike is an SS build, has ceramic transmission bearings and tuned for MR12 or pump but on pump it is an absolute missile when you get into the power band. 

I think at the club level they are really starting to figure these bikes out, it just took a couple years. Even look at the grid at road atlanta a couple weeks ago, mostly GSXRs or ZX10s in the expert field. 2 years ago it was all R1s.

Edited by Jester_

11 minutes ago, Jester_ said:

Again some of it is preference but the GSXR isn't as brutal on power delivery, I think it helps you control wheel speed and then there is that top end power. My bike is an SS build, has ceramic transmission bearings and tuned for MR12 or pump but on pump it is an absolute missile when you get into the power band. 

I think at the club level they are really starting to figure these bikes out, it just took a couple years. Even look at the grid at road atlanta a couple weeks ago, mostly GSXRs or ZX10s in the expert field. 2 years ago it was all R1s.

The brutal power delivery you mention was probably your throttle map. Did you modify it or just use someone like superbike unlimited’s flash? My bike isn’t brutal at all but Mark and I spent a good amount of time getting this right. 

Nah not the on off throttle or anything, the power delivery was as smooth as I think it could be given the crossplane crank. When I had the engine done I had the camshafts degreed  to bump the power up in the rpm range and the tune was really well done. Maybe its just another of those preference things. 

Barber is pretty cool... not my favorite track but most everyone else loves it. It just isn't as fast as you would think it would be... has cool elevation change, was just repaved, and the facilities are the best in the business. 

CMP was also just repaved, and I think the lay out looks more fun to me but that is all subjective and the facilities are nowhere near as nice as barber. I am still trying to get to a weekend at either of those 2 tracks, maybe we can ride share if things work out. 

3 hours ago, Jester_ said:

Barber is pretty cool... not my favorite track but most everyone else loves it. It just isn't as fast as you would think it would be... has cool elevation change, was just repaved, and the facilities are the best in the business. 

CMP was also just repaved, and I think the lay out looks more fun to me but that is all subjective and the facilities are nowhere near as nice as barber. I am still trying to get to a weekend at either of those 2 tracks, maybe we can ride share if things work out. 

I just booked the Nov 21st at CMP. I was not able to make it to Barber for the N2 event. If that ends up working for you let me know. We're not too far apart. 

• 1 month later...

Went to Carolina Motorsports Park this past weekend for Saturday only. Well worth the 9 hour drive. Facility was great and pavement was excellent. Still a lot to work on with body position. Intermediate had a rough day and was red flagged almost every session. 

3145784.jpg

3145785.jpg

3145786.jpg

Edited by ksands22
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ksands22 said:

Went to Carolina Motorsports Park this past weekend for Saturday only. Well worth the 9 hour drive. Facility was great and pavement was excellent. Still a lot to work on with body position. Intermediate had a rough day and was red flagged almost every session. 

Some constructive feedback from what I see in that short video:

I see the your nose diving a lot under braking. It goes up and down and up and down. Try to be smooth on that first 5% of braking. Also be smooth on that last 5% when you're coming off of the lever. When you aren't - you upset the chassis which upsets the bike which fucks with the contact patches your tires have to the pavement. (Something you want to avoid.)

Also you can think "lighter longer" meaning you are on the brakes lighter but for a longer period of time. You don't need to get all of the braking done when you are straight up and down. Ultimately once you start applying the brakes - you want to carry the brakes and trailing off of them all the way to the apex. Not on/off on/off. Now don't get me wrong, you can't carry a bunch of lean angle and a bunch brakes at the same time. You'll tuck the front. That is why we trail off of them as we add lean angle.

You'd be amazed at what just putting the pad to the rotor does for slowing the bike when you are leaned over. These bikes are designed to be steered on the brakes. Get a feel for putting pad to rotor in the garage pushing the bike around. Just walk it and then gently pull the brake lever until you can hear/feel the pads touch the rotors. That is the kind of sensitivity I'm talking about.

A front tire can take more than you'd expect. But it won't if you're abrupt with it, you have to load the tire before you work the tire.

Speed = Radius. As you slow you are able to get your radius tighter aka your bike pointed where you want to go. The faster you get your bike pointed the faster you can then reduce lean angle and add throttle. The longer you're on the throttle around a track the faster you'll go (obviously). With you being on a liter bike this is really important. We don't call those 1k bikes point and shoot for no reason :). 

Try to focus on being smooth. Smooth with your application (on and off) of the brake. Smooth with the application of the throttle. Smooth bar inputs. You'll get there, just keep coming out and you'd be surprised at when you can do!

Edited by TimTheAzn

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Some constructive feedback from what I see in that short video:

I definitely welcome your feedback and what you are saying and watching a full session back makes a lot of sense. I did think in my head I had to slam on the brakes to get slowed down for the slow corners and was hard at the time to ease on the brakes and flow through the corner. 

Thanks for the link as well. I am really looking forward to spending a lot of time at PIR next year. 

• Upvote 1

I will be putting the Riders Discount Triumph 675 up for sale next week or two...let me know if anyone here or that you know of is interested. Would love to see it stay local...with a 4 year old i have no time to use so it needs to go to someone that will. Trades and or cash welcome.

• Beer 1

22 minutes ago, bowdog said:

I will be putting the Riders Discount Triumph 675 up for sale next week or two...let me know if anyone here or that you know of is interested. Would love to see it stay local...with a 4 year old i have no time to use so it needs to go to someone that will. Trades and or cash welcome.

I will offer you 5 handy's.

I have tiny asian hands so anything I hold with them makes that object look bigger. It's a bonus. 

• Haha 1