Random Track Talk

TimTheAzn

I have a random question that seems like it might be okay for this random thread:

I've been riding Novice at Mid-Ohio for a while now.  My question is, what is the criteria the coaches use to determine if you're ready for Intermediate?  I'm not asking because I necessarily think I'm ready, but I want to know what they look for so I can focus on those things.

Novice is still fine for me, but I do find myself getting less challenged.  I know my BP still sucks and my bike might be under-powered for Intermediate, but I'm curious about what they want to see before they move someone up.

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, Sellius said:

I have a random question that seems like it might be okay for this random thread:

I've been riding Novice at Mid-Ohio for a while now.  My question is, what is the criteria the coaches use to determine if you're ready for Intermediate?  I'm not asking because I necessarily think I'm ready, but I want to know what they look for so I can focus on those things.

Novice is still fine for me, but I do find myself getting less challenged.  I know my BP still sucks and my bike might be under-powered for Intermediate, but I'm curious about what they want to see before they move someone up.

Thanks.

In no particular order: pace, lines, consistency, decision making.

Bike size doesnt matter, its how you ride it. I pass $20k machines on my clapped out sv650. 

Edit: Mid-Ohio's novice group is very structured. You play follow the leader too much (imo). Other orgs will do that the first few laps of the first 2 sessions then let you run your pace.

Edited by TimTheAzn

On 9/3/2020 at 11:33 AM, Sellius said:

I've been riding Novice at Mid-Ohio for a while now. 

I have no idea how people keep their sanity in novice for more than a day or two. If you register in novice next time, make sure to tell your coach ASAP you want to be moved up. Monday we had 2 novices join us in intermediate with coaches, and they did totally fine but they only got in the last session of the day and they would have gotten a lot more out of it had they moved up sooner.

Intermediate is good fun passing on the outside and moving at a faster pace but it's often REALLY crowded and traffic is a huge problem especially this past year. If you're like me and don't have the power to pass on most of the straights, you'll have to get it done under braking (easy) or in the corners (hit and miss). There's also a massive difference in pace, some people are running low 1:40s and others well above 2:00.

I'll try to do that next time, or at least try to get into a faster novice group.

I don't have any idea what my pace is.

Do they break you up into groups in Intermediate and let faster people go out first?  Or is it just random based on who lines up in the pits first?

5 hours ago, Sellius said:

I'll try to do that next time, or at least try to get into a faster novice group.

I don't have any idea what my pace is.

Do they break you up into groups in Intermediate and let faster people go out first?  Or is it just random based on who lines up in the pits first?

Nope just grid up whenever and go out in a big group. They typically let like the first 5ish or whatever people go, hold 5 seconds, send the next little group, hold 5 seconds, etc.

If I somehow manage to grid at the front I expect to get passed by like 5 people while I pussyfoot around on cold tires. If I sit and wait for everyone to go out, the first group is coming around the carousel LOL. If you want a clean run, many sessions you might need to pit in and wait 10 or 20 seconds or whatever, then go back out. Other days like that 95 degree day in July there was almost nobody out there and it was great.

There are still coaches around if  you need coaching, just find one at the riders meeting or in the grid.

Never get footage of myself but this weekend I did (I'm the one in front)! Towing one of my buddy's around Nelson's ledges on my sv. Blake's FZ makes me realize how under-powered my SV is 😪.

Edited by TimTheAzn

59 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Never get footage of myself but this weekend I did (I'm the one in front)! Towing one of my buddy's around Nelson's ledges on my sv. Blake's FZ makes me realize how under-powered my SV is 😪.

Watching this makes me realize how painfully slow my corner speed was this past weekend. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ksands22 said:

Watching this makes me realize how painfully slow my corner speed was this past weekend. 

I'm about 2 seconds faster during a race vs. a trackday.

Literally we all start somewhere. Keep coming out and always make a plan before each session, what am I going to work on (pick 1 or 2 things) and work on them. Speed will come.

16 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I'm about 2 seconds faster during a race vs. a trackday.

Literally we all start somewhere. Keep coming out and always make a plan before each session, what am I going to work on (pick 1 or 2 things) and work on them. Speed will come.

I spent some time with Chris on Saturday and he had me focus on my hand grip and that helped me a ton feel more comfortable. I hope to make it to Pitt Race in October. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, TMC Customs said:

Can’t say I have seen someone use just one lever guard before. 

Someone hits my clutch side, eh I may loose some drive or something. Someone hits my brake - I could go over the bars. It's more common than you think at the budget club racing level.

Edited by TimTheAzn
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, TMC Customs said:

Looking at the WERA link, it appears they do not separate 600 and 1000 bikes during the race. Maybe I am reading it incorrectly. 

For the most part you are reading it incorrectly. There may be a few races where 600's and 1000's are gridded together. Keep in mind they are still in separate classes so you will have a winner for the 600 class and one for the open (1000) class. Senior superbike being one that i can think of off the top of my head. This class is for racers over 40 so for the most part everyone rides responsibly. You can race a 600 in the 1000 class if you want to and some people do that. A classes are for 1000's and C classes are for 600's. I've never seen those classes on the grid together.

• Upvote 1

On 9/26/2020 at 8:56 PM, durk said:

@TimTheAzn how’d it go today?

2nd on saturday and a 3rd on sunday. I had a better race that was way more fun on sunday.

Wrapped up 3rd overall in the North Central Region in LWT SS.

Depending on who shows up to the GNF I might get a 3rd overall nationally.

I'm hiding behind Ian in this photo from Sunday.

B429980A-8E06-44F8-B3D4-9B70B818C7C2.jpeg

Edited by TimTheAzn
  • Beer 1
  • Upvote 2