Random Track Talk

TimTheAzn

1 hour ago, Jester_ said:

Would be cool to race at night, looks like fun. Here is a video from Saturday at nelson.

A Superbike expert

It's fun until the dew starts to form on the track at around 11pm to midnight lol. I think that track used the same sealant that Mid-O used. Had a pretty good highside earlier that day, which I wasn't feeling too bad during the night races, but the races the next day I started to feel a bit off... yesterday and today I can't lift a coffee cup to my mouth using my right arm. Don't want to do that again. I ended up 3rd in the race posted, 3rd in points overall. Gotta start winning - that kid in front of me weighs 70lbs wet and walks big bore bikes on the straight with his "stock" setup. He's dirt slow in the corners but really tough to pass as he will not cede the inside line even if you are right next to him wheel to wheel, he will run right into you.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TMC Customs said:

Well, showed up to the track day today and  it was cancelled. Would be nice if they would tell people that. 

Yeah as I was packing up I heard the announcement. What kinda shit is that? They didn't tell you wtf happened just "no PTR sessions for Tuesday?"

Monday was nice and chill. First session in intermediate I don't think there was even 10 people. Same for last session? I've never been to an event that deserted. Hope they don't take events off the calendar!

47 minutes ago, RymerC said:

Monday was nice and chill. First session in intermediate I don't think there was even 10 people. Same for last session? I've never been to an event that deserted. Hope they don't take events off the calendar!

First session was probably empty because everyone knows not to go out the first session at mid ohio :)

Last session - people are tired and packing up.

19 hours ago, RymerC said:

They are !

I got there Monday for the private twilight prepared to camp because i registered  for the next day.  At about 4pm they said over the loud speaker that the next day was canceled. 

I think they dont want bikes there and are trying to deter people.  They have a new rule if not enough people pre register they just cancel the day .  I kinda understand that but......now it makes people more afraid to sign up.  So i  plan to take off work and set up m schedule just for you to pull the plug at 4pm the day before?  No thanks!    Or i cant imaging people who traveled far to get there .   Track is garbage so of course nobody signs up. There is always a risk of rain but other orgs/tracks sell out weeks in advanced  because you could ride if you wanted. Even with full on wets nobody is riding Mid Ohio.  I plan on have a full wet set up next year because i will ride in the rain if need be  just not there .

Edited by jhughes

On 7/8/2020 at 1:02 AM, what said:

some hot grom action. yes that's half a roll of duct tape holding my leathers together. they take a beating 😐

IMG_1120.jpg

lol the direction of your bike needs to catch up with the direction of everything else going on. idk how you did this haha

On 7/8/2020 at 9:01 AM, jhughes said:

They are !

I got there Monday for the private twilight prepared to camp because i registered  for the next day.  At about 4pm they said over the loud speaker that the next day was canceled. 

I think they dont want bikes there and are trying to deter people.  They have a new rule if not enough people pre register they just cancel the day .  I kinda understand that but......now it makes people more afraid to sign up.  So i  plan to take off work and set up m schedule just for you to pull the plug at 4pm the day before?  No thanks!    Or i cant imaging people who traveled far to get there .   Track is garbage so of course nobody signs up. There is always a risk of rain but other orgs/tracks sell out weeks in advanced  because you could ride if you wanted. Even with full on wets nobody is riding Mid Ohio.  I plan on have a full wet set up next year because i will ride in the rain if need be  just not there .

I can understand them cancelling for low enrollment but they sell gift certificates that expire so the sessions should already have some built in cushion in case people don’t show. It really sucks for people coming in from out of town but I had to convince my wife to waste a day of her vacation to watch the kids so I could go to the track. Try convincing your significant other to do that, haha, it’s rare when it happens.  

What really ground my gears was that they blasted out an email to everyone on their email list telling them there was a track day and that they needed to sign up by sending an email to Gwen because the site wasn’t working. Then when it was cancelled, they didn’t blast out another email saying it was’t happening. Also, if you can’t sign up on the website and you are not a frequent rider, you would not know to email Gwen so you have to show up the day of to sign up.  They also are not taking calls from what I can tell so they had no idea how many people they where  screwing over. 

if any of you know the mid-o folks, please politely let them know how f’d up that was. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

lol the direction of your bike needs to catch up with the direction of everything else going on. idk how you did this haha

Pretty sure this was taken in turn 15/16, it's a long double apex.

msr.png

21 minutes ago, blue03636 said:

That omrl line on the entry to 15 doesn't look like the best idea. 😂

There's a big paved runoff patch on the entry to 15 that we use as track surface, it's just not on the map. The first apex shoots you way out to the edge of the track mid-corner, that photo was taken just after the first apex.

8 minutes ago, what said:

There's a big paved runoff patch on the entry to 15 that we use as track surface, it's just not on the map. The first apex shoots you way out to the edge of the track mid-corner, that photo was taken just after the first apex.

Right but I think what Craig is saying is you arent even close to being pointed at the second apex.

This is what I see:
image.png.0d59ee1eebd95ca92a7e7b5eb453ac70.png

The red line represents where your bike is pointing. The Green line represents where I think your bike should be pointed approximately. The blue line represents the "time lost" meaning you are having to wait for your bike to find direction to point to the next apex. The longer you have to wait for direction - the longer you theoretically have to wait to stand the bike up, get on the fat part of the tire, and open the throttle. It looks like you may be pin'd already but did you have to increase lean angle while pin'd to find that direction? Probably - which opens you up for more risk. You may be able to get away with this running mini's but on a big bike this wouldn't work out as well. You'd have to increase or stay at lean angle to find the proper direction and therefore make you wait longer to open up the throttle, and you are spending extra time in the riskiest zone (high lean angle).

Your body looks good! 

Edited by TimTheAzn

24 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

This is what I see:

The red line represents where your bike is pointing. The Green line represents where I think your bike should be pointed approximately. The blue line represents the "time lost" meaning you are having to wait for your bike to find direction to point to the next apex. The longer you have to wait for direction - the longer you theoretically have to wait to stand the bike up, get on the fat part of the tire, and open the throttle. It looks like you may be pin'd already but did you have to increase lean angle while pin'd to find that direction? Probably - which opens you up for more risk. You may be able to get away with this running mini's but on a big bike this wouldn't work out as well. You'd have to increase or stay at lean angle to find the proper direction and therefore make you wait longer to open up the throttle, and you are spending extra time in the riskiest zone (high lean angle).

Your body looks good! 

The line pushes way wide (yellow). But who knows maybe I blew the corner for this photo, I never know if I'm going to make the turn or not 100% because yes, the line pushes you out to the edge of the grass. I've run off there a few times carrying too much corner speed trying to set up a pass or fighting someone off who tried to take the inside. And yes, I use throttle input to turn the bike mid-corner. I can ham-fist it on the minis for the most part but it's much more subtle on big bikes.

Edited by what