Random Track Talk

TimTheAzn

4 hours ago, blue03636 said:

Seriously though, they aren't an issue. 

This is what I've heard directly from Dunlop and Pirelli reps as well. It just comes down to the amount of rubber left on the tire, as that has a direct effect on how the tire heats up and distributes that heat. 

I did the barber TD one year, then last year was there for the GNF. It's a pretty crappy drive, as good as barber is as a track I'm not sure it's worth the drive from up here. However if you stay another day and check out the museum then that may be worth it. Unfortunately I have never been in the museum. 

The trip to Tally last year was fun but yeah it was quite a haul for 3 days. It was pretty chilly down there too, like 40's and 50's. Still, it was a day at the track at the very end of November so /shrug 

Today I found out the grom crashes pretty well, except for the foot pegs. Adjustable rearsets already ordered. Race grom giveth, and race grom taketh away(my money). 

Edited by what

This was an awesome day and a great experience. @TimTheAzn   @Jester_  Can’t thank you guys enough for making a very memorable day out for me. Without you guys around it would have been stressful and Impossible to get done as riding in and riding back etc. .  Esp  Need to thank Tim who set the ball rolling and my mind cranking to get this done. It’s been almost 8-9 yrs since the last time I tried a track day. This was esp better since got to spend with friends who I haven’t seen for such a long time. Plus got to meet @F4iguy as well few remaining OR folks I need to meet face to face.   

I don’t think I will be out right track junkie, but this was really enjoyable to the point I will be coming back to do this at least 4-5 times a year. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

This was an awesome day and a great experience. @TimTheAzn   @Jester_  Can’t thank you guys enough for making a very memorable day out for me. Without you guys around it would have been stressful and Impossible to get done as riding in and riding back etc. .  Esp  Need to thank Tim who set the ball rolling and my mind cranking to get this done. It’s been almost 8-9 yrs since the last time I tried a track day. This was esp better since got to spend with friends who I haven’t seen for such a long time. Plus got to meet @F4iguy as well few remaining OR folks I need to meet face to face.   

I don’t think I will be out right track junkie, but this was really enjoyable to the point I will be coming back to do this at least 4-5 times a year. 

Didn't you also have a first this weekend? :banana: Glad I got to witness that, as well as your reaction (which is totally normal the first time) which made me laugh in my helmet all while screaming "yeaaaaahhhh Nivin!"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tonik said:

And we lose another one to the track. I predict a trailer and full on track bike by spring. Hell, maybe before winter. Barber has a day coming up I believe.

Road ATL and Barber Thanksgiving weekend are the 2 N2 weekends left.

"We" are done for the season. It twas a great season. Learned a lot. I did 18+ days this year with N2 and Lean combined.

18 minutes ago, Tonik said:

And we lose another one to the track. I predict a trailer and full on track bike by spring. Hell, maybe before winter. Barber has a day coming up I believe.

I can totally see Doc being a track fago.......hom....person. He loves the thrill of going fast at the same time wants to do it in a controlled semi safer environment. Most road riders speed is secondary to just being out in the world and seeing things. Doc seem more like a speed/thrill first kind of guy. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

I can totally see Doc being a track fago.......hom....person. 

You really hate the track don't you. Since you've never done it what could you possibly have against it besides it stealing your friends :lol:.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Tonik said:

13 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

I can totally see Doc being a track fago.......hom....person. He loves the thrill of going fast at the same time wants to do it in a controlled semi safer environment. Most road riders speed is secondary to just being out in the world and seeing things. Doc seem more like a speed/thrill first kind of guy. 

Naaaaaaah, no way guys. If I wanted to be full on track junkie I would have become one long ago when Ryan and jester both were deep into it and Ryan always telling me how much fun it is and pulling me to try it non stop. I like going fast in streets only in certain scenarios and only certain moods, most time when I am out by myself am just enjoying the travel. I believe one of my best asset as a rider is my ability to have a photo memory of maps. I never used gps for any street rides in the last 10 years, except once we reach a city area. And I love exploring the roads that way, just look up map and go out and enjoy, stop take tons of pics and videos. And most importantly meet new people. For example in the last few days I been out riding have met some other new riders who is just like us “ full gear full long day twisty riders” already have their contacts and stuff and most likely building up a network of like minded network like this. 

now regarding track, I am 100% certain I enjoyed this way more than last time was because of the people around. The one time I tried in nearly a decade ago, I was new new to every thing. New to OR, new to America, new to track. Only person I knew was @jbot he went above and beyond to help me get there and try track and feel included. But I was just too reserved shy and hiding social anxiety and track anxiety lol But this time literally everyone I knew for years, felt like coming back home, these guys were giving me tow around makes you feel privileged compared to other novice guys. 10/10 would recommended any street riders to give a track day one try just for experience. Pretty sure @Skinny guy will contact you next year Tim. 

at the track I was just enjoying them corners, in the straight I was not even opening up. Literally riding like street style with attack corner and cruise straight 😂  I like the acceleration part, shooting out of corner but don’t feel good about the velocity part like full on high speed. Don’t have a competitive urge or that kind of personality which I think you need a bit to get absorbed into track days. If not you can be pleasantly involved just running intermediate group and enjoy for ever. As for me, all I see in future is just trying novice days once in a while just to come explore the limit of bike and train myself a bit more to trust the bike in a controlled environment. 👍 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Didn't you also have a first this weekend? :banana: Glad I got to witness that, as well as your reaction (which is totally normal the first time) which made me laugh in my helmet all while screaming "yeaaaaahhhh Nivin!"

Haha 🤙🏽 That was a great. I was not even trying and never expected to start dragging by second session. Once you get hooked to that sensation of gentle vibration and scrap sound it’s pretty addicting. I can’t lie, pretty vain i know , but have to admit that was a really really good feeling of achievement lol 

but my aim for the day was to improve my left handlers, Problem is mainly hard left handlers. I don’t think much changed in that aspect with only few left handlers we got. Need to work on it streets itself I guess. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

Once you get hooked to that sensation of gentle vibration and scrap sound it’s pretty addicting. I can’t lie, pretty vain i know , but have to admit that was a really really good feeling of achievement lol 

I bury my knee every chance I get, and leave it there. :lol: Still hasn't gotten old.

Thats why I have rain pucks.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

You really hate the track don't you. Since you've never done it what could you possibly have against it besides it stealing your friends :lol:.

Never said i hated it, just said it's not my thing. I do find it hilarious that some get so defensive about it and can't take a little rib jab every now and then. All (my)road fiends I can think of that tried the track and came right back to the road. They learned the lesson for me that I think I already know. Road>Track (for us anyway)  Some like you and other obviously feel different. I've never told any one that the road is the best and only way to ride for everyone. But I've heard many on here say track is best and only way to ride and if you don't try it your a poopoo head, over and over again.

• Upvote 1

After my amazing experience yesterday I would say I would go back to track at least hand full of times a year. Just like doing a gap trip etc. it’s just an experience. Don’t have to be 100% involved in it. To me the best possible combination seems like thousands of street miles for the endorphins and few hundred track miles for the adrenaline load a year. Lots of good and bad in both sides. Lucky are the few who get to do either one and blessed are the few who get to be involved with both. 😇

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

I believe one of my best asset as a rider is my ability to have a photo memory of maps. I never used gps for any street rides in the last 10 years, except once we reach a city area. And I love exploring the roads that way, just look up map and go out and enjoy, stop take tons of pics and videos. And most importantly meet new people. For example in the last few days I been out riding have met some other new riders who is just like us “ full gear full long day twisty riders” already have their contacts and stuff and most likely building up a network of like minded network like this. 

Nail on head. 

Just last weekend during my Mental Health ride. I added 6 new friends to FB and hope to meet up and ride with them again. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think anyone is saying track is superior to street riding, they are two totally different things. I will say that investing myself in track/racing over the last couple seasons has led to a pretty significant amount of growth in my ability as a rider overall (at least I feel like it has, other people can fill in for me whether or not it's true). Something I would not have been able to achieve if I were only riding street. Think of it as combining multiple similar disciplines to make your overall riding ability better and ultimately safer in any environment. 

That said, I have never ridden dirt, and dirt is also an amazing training/learning environment. That's on my to-do list at some point for sure. 

Edited by what
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

Naaaaaaah, no way guys. If I wanted to be full on track junkie I would have become one long ago when Ryan and jester both were deep into it and Ryan always telling me how much fun it is and pulling me to try it non stop. I like going fast in streets only in certain scenarios and only certain moods, most time when I am out by myself am just enjoying the travel. I believe one of my best asset as a rider is my ability to have a photo memory of maps. I never used gps for any street rides in the last 10 years, except once we reach a city area. And I love exploring the roads that way, just look up map and go out and enjoy, stop take tons of pics and videos. And most importantly meet new people. For example in the last few days I been out riding have met some other new riders who is just like us “ full gear full long day twisty riders” already have their contacts and stuff and most likely building up a network of like minded network like this. 

now regarding track, I am 100% certain I enjoyed this way more than last time was because of the people around. The one time I tried in nearly a decade ago, I was new new to every thing. New to OR, new to America, new to track. Only person I knew was @jbot he went above and beyond to help me get there and try track and feel included. But I was just too reserved shy and hiding social anxiety and track anxiety lol But this time literally everyone I knew for years, felt like coming back home, these guys were giving me tow around makes you feel privileged compared to other novice guys. 10/10 would recommended any street riders to give a track day one try just for experience. Pretty sure @Skinny guy will contact you next year Tim. 

at the track I was just enjoying them corners, in the straight I was not even opening up. Literally riding like street style with attack corner and cruise straight 😂  I like the acceleration part, shooting out of corner but don’t feel good about the velocity part like full on high speed. Don’t have a competitive urge or that kind of personality which I think you need a bit to get absorbed into track days. If not you can be pleasantly involved just running intermediate group and enjoy for ever. As for me, all I see in future is just trying novice days once in a while just to come explore the limit of bike and train myself a bit more to trust the bike in a controlled environment. 👍 

you were awesome then, and you're awesome now.  never doubt your awesomeness, Nivin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Never said i hated it, just said it's not my thing. I do find it hilarious that some get so defensive about it and can't take a little rib jab every now and then. All (my)road fiends I can think of that tried the track and came right back to the road. They learned the lesson for me that I think I already know. Road>Track (for us anyway)  Some like you and other obviously feel different. I've never told any one that the road is the best and only way to ride for everyone. But I've heard many on here say track is best and only way to ride and if you don't try it your a poopoo head, over and over again.

i, too, enjoy going into threads where i have no 1st hand knowledge of the subject being discussed and talk shit about it, and then accuse other people of being defensive when they call me out for more or less acting a fool.  i, too, am a man of culture.

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, jbot said:

i, too, enjoy going into threads where i have no 1st hand knowledge of the subject being discussed and talk shit about it, and then accuse other people of being defensive when they call me out for more or less acting a fool.  i, too, am a man of culture.

Capture.JPG

• Upvote 1