Random Track Talk

TimTheAzn

54 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Had a good time at Pitt Race this weekend and we had a surprise guest @dpgasser. Holy crap man, it was good to see you. Really cool to be able to ride with you again. Thanks for coming out, I hope you had fun.

I had a blast! Awesome to see you again and great to be back on a track after 2+ years. Was there to support my cousin Victor who was doing his third track day, and I have a feeling he is catching the track bug, Lol.

• Upvote 1

On 9/13/2019 at 9:01 AM, F4iguy said:

Tried to follow Nathan @Limitedslip7 for about 1/2 a lap - that didn't work out.  Then @DerekClouser comes flying by me at 2:59.  Still a fun day hanging out and riding.

I love the fact that you waved to me after I went by.... lol

30 minutes ago, Jester_ said:

I struggled to get a clean lap. With coaching and only being the 2nd time on the R1 this year I was happy with the results. Sloppy lap but about as good as it got for me this past weekend. 

Your mpg is really being affected by the way your ride mannnnn

19 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I am sorry, but I really don't think this bike should be on the track. Although cool has hell and I would love one.

1965-Honda-Super-Hawk_3-5.jpg

Could be if in good mechanical condition. There are still races with those older bikes going on!

1 hour ago, NinjaDoc said:

Are there any suspension experts in neo area that can help set up suspension on a bike? Are there any folks who show up at track days who work on suspension settings like that dude Dave moss in all those west coast videos.

What do you need done?

Edited by TimTheAzn

2 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

Are there any suspension experts in neo area that can help set up suspension on a bike? Are there any folks who show up at track days who work on suspension settings like that dude Dave moss in all those west coast videos.

Paging @Blitz

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

What do you need done?

Just setting stock suspension to my weight and style of riding. For tracer i followed manual/ forum/ magazine setting etc for my weight. This is because of difficulty setting sag alone, it can be done but it’s so much hassle and chance of error. And these time I thought it was good but the bike was unstable doesn’t hold a line etc, the difference was highlighted as soon as I switched ride with @Skinny guy After that I took hundreds of miles solo riding and kept tinkering with it and bike feels entirely new. So much easier to ride.  Just made we wonder how good it might be when a proper expert does it. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

Just setting stock suspension to my weight and style of riding. For tracer i followed manual/ forum/ magazine setting etc for my weight. This is because of difficulty setting sag alone, it can be done but it’s so much hassle and chance of error. And these time I thought it was good but the bike was unstable doesn’t hold a line etc, the difference was highlighted as soon as I switched ride with @Skinny guy After that I took hundreds of miles solo riding and kept tinkering with it and bike feels entirely new. So much easier to ride.  Just made we wonder how good it might be when a proper expert does it. 

Well lets start by asking:

What is it doing that you like? (Ex: I like the way it turns in.)

What is it doing that you don't like? What are you doing when it does the thing you don't like? (Ex: I don't like mid corner stability when holding maintenance throttle.)

Some things I may be able to comment on based on some of the simple things I've learned, but it may be over my head. 

32 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

Ive tried setting up bike via the "by the book" method and it never works. Ive set sag and made adjustment do what the so called experts say and always end up hating it. In the end you have to set it up by what feels good to you and the type of riding and roads your on. I know this is a track thread and i'll probably get flamed for this post but you can't always go by the book. I like my set up stiff and harsh and most would say its garbage, but those same folks might have issue hanging with me on the same tarmac. And vise versa, some have bike set up that feel like shit to me but they might ride circles around me. 

You want the fastest set up and want to knock off lap times. Take that shit to the track. On the street set that bitch up for real world riding. 

Edited by 2talltim

25 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Ive tried setting up bike via the "by the book" method and it never works. Ive set sag and made adjustment do what the so called experts say and always end up hating it. In the end you have to set it up by what feels good to you and the type of riding and roads your on. I know this is a track thread and i'll probably get flamed for this post but you can't always go by the book. I like my set up stiff and harsh and most would say its garbage, but those same folks might have issue hanging with me on the same tarmac. And vise versa, some have bike set up that feel like shit to me but they might ride circles around me. 

You want the fastest set up and want to knock off lap times. Take that shit to the track. On the street set that bitch up for real world riding. 

Suspension settings are situational to the rider, the track, the bike, the tires, the temperature, etc. "By the book" or canned settings you find online are generally trash, you have to have someone with a feel for all of the things listed above either tell you what to do or do it for you for a properly set up suspension. @Hoblick was just telling me that Dave Moss offers a remote suspension service for a nominal fee. Ryan is also good with setting up suspensions, so if you're (Doc) ever down this way on a ride I'm sure he'd be willing to help you out. Here I am volunteering his time for him 😂

Edited by what