Random Track Talk

TimTheAzn

47 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

I group is still waiting to do that to you...

Cant pass on the inside in I group. 

I rode Intermediate last time I was at Mid Ohio in like 2016. If I ever go back I wont be in that group. 

If you ever make it out to a track day anywhere lmk.

5 hours ago, MidgetTodd said:

Just got the 675 suspension and tires addressed. I’ll probably have it at Mid O soon. I’m too cheap to take it anywhere else lol. I ride there for free

was a great day out there today, besides getting shit on by jake's new GSXR. fuck that bike and its 180rwhp. 

Perfect day.  Met @TMC Customs, I think we have a new OMRL rider.  We'll see if he shows for the next round at G&J on July 27/28th.  Its free to preregister...  

Aside from just beautiful weather and hanging with some friends being not at work, I made it into the 1:45s today.  That's ~2 seconds faster than where I was last year.  I can see dropping another couple next time out.  Waiting on @DerekClouser's data acquisition and analytics to see where I'm the biggest weenie.    Only one oh-shit moment coming into turn 1 a little hot, took a humble ride in the grass, through the sand pit, through the grass again, and square into a haybale where the bike stood upright until the end of the session.  

Perfect day.

• Beer 1

12 hours ago, what said:

was a great day out there today, besides getting shit on by jake's new GSXR. fuck that bike and its 180rwhp. 

If its the new new one just wait til he flashes that bad boy, one of my buddy's has one had it moves the fuck out. Sounds pretty good too.

13 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

If its the new new one just wait til he flashes that bad boy, one of my buddy's has one had it moves the fuck out. Sounds pretty good too.

It's been flashed, tuned, pipe and filter.  Makes ~185 at the wheel.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Yeah it's a monster. He blew my doors off at about every section of the track that he wanted. 90ftlbs of torque means you go fast whenever you want to go fast. 

I did learn that the CBR is gentle enough on rears that I should be able to get 3 or so days out of a Q4 rear, at least at Mid-O. More abrasive tracks, I don't know. Want to try SC slicks next to compare, though I doubt I'll feel much difference where I'm at, which says a lot for the Q4s.

13 minutes ago, what said:

I did learn that the CBR is gentle enough on rears that I should be able to get 3 or so days out of a Q4 rear, at least at Mid-O. More abrasive tracks, I don't know. Want to try SC slicks next to compare, though I doubt I'll feel much difference where I'm at, which says a lot for the Q4s.

Would be interesting to see the wear at Nelsons or PIRC where the pavement is newer and is more abrasive.

SC's are awesome. 

1 hour ago, what said:

i think i can get 3 days on the sc2  my wear finally looks good after hoblick gave the suspension some love.  That gsxr moved out I had to really give it the business to stay behind him on the back straight.  I think it had slightly more top end then my rsv4 

3 hours ago, what said:

Yeah longevity is my biggest concern with the Q4s. I know I'd get more life out of an SC2 or 3 rear for about the same cost per tire. 

Looking for longevity go 3. I cannot tell the difference and I have one of each spooned onto two different rears right now. My buddy with the new gsxr 1000 also is using the sc3 rear and he puts way more to the ground than I do.

Edited by TimTheAzn

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

Looking for longevity go 3. I cannot tell the difference and I have one of each spooned onto two different rears right now. My buddy with the new gsxr 1000 also is using the sc3 rear and he puts way more to the ground than I do.

The 3 is supposed to be just as sticky as the 2 but with better wear. I imagine the 3 requires a bit higher track/air temps though since it's a slightly harder compound. 

3 hours ago, what said:

The 3 is supposed to be just as sticky as the 2 but with better wear. I imagine the 3 requires a bit higher track/air temps though since it's a slightly harder compound. 

The 3 isn’t as sticky as the 2 and doesn’t have the edge grip of the 1or2. It’s not a bad tire. I’d do track days on it for sure but no way I would race on it it. The rear reminds me of Michelin evo’s. The front people love. Mark Junge actually races with the 3 and it’s his preferred front. He’s trying to convert me over to it but I prefer the 1 on the front. Pirellis and temps are kinda the opposite of what most people think. The softer tires work better in high temps

50 minutes ago, OSUYZFR1 said:

The 3 isn’t as sticky as the 2 and doesn’t have the edge grip of the 1or2. It’s not a bad tire. I’d do track days on it for sure but no way I would race on it it. The rear reminds me of Michelin evo’s. The front people love. Mark Junge actually races with the 3 and it’s his preferred front. He’s trying to convert me over to it but I prefer the 1 on the front. Pirellis and temps are kinda the opposite of what most people think. The softer tires work better in high temps

Yeah, talking to Jake yesterday had me considering the 3s. I think Mark was after him to give them a shot and he seems to like them pretty well. 

2 hours ago, OSUYZFR1 said:

Speaking of the evos, I used them for the first time yesterday and loved them.  Initially had the front a couple lbs too high on pressure, but otherwise felt great.  I'm looking forward to seeing how they do after a few more days.

8 hours ago, jacobhawkins said:

Speaking of the evos, I used them for the first time yesterday and loved them.  Initially had the front a couple lbs too high on pressure, but otherwise felt great.  I'm looking forward to seeing how they do after a few more days.

I really liked the power cup evo's as well. I've spooned on a handful of sets of those and never had an issue.

I spooned on an sc3 rear for the Nelsons 4hr endurance and after over an hour of riding it barely looks like I ran 2 trackday sessions on it.

It really all depends on your riding style and what you want out of your front and rear tire.

Edited by TimTheAzn
  • Upvote 1

Just a friendly reminder, you can take pretty much anything on track. It'll teach you skills that might help save your life on the road. But to some, that benefit is outweighted be the fact that it's boring going in circles. That just means you arent going fast enough.

image.thumb.png.432961800aebe32cbd07f577441714af.png

Sc3 front is my favorite front aside from the V1271. I would do trackdays and coach on an sc3 rear but the grip is not there when trying to race or throw down a fast lap. Il always sprint race on a 1 or 0 rear. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jester_ said:

Sc3 front is my favorite front aside from the V1271. I would do trackdays and coach on an sc3 rear but the grip is not there when trying to race or throw down a fast lap. Il always sprint race on a 1 or 0 rear. 

If I can get comparable grip to the Q4s out of an SC3 rear I'd be happy. I don't plan to race big bikes so pushing the very limits of grip isn't really something I'd like to toy with - I have enough fun doing that and trying not to eat shit on the little bikes. 😊

Edited by what