Random Track Talk

TimTheAzn

1 hour ago, MidgetTodd said:

Really. They make very little on PTR and it is last priority of all events 

Motorcyclists are second class citizens there.

1 hour ago, OSUYZFR1 said:

Honda commercial is what I heard.

Well it may be worth the money hahah

That’s the lowest paying event they hold. 

I didn’t say they don’t make money. Said they make little. They cut two of our staffing numbers in medical because of it. 

Car events bring almost double that. 

And 10K is not much when account for what it costs to run the facility for the day. That’s why they rely on volunteer coaches 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

That’s the lowest paying event they hold. 

I didn’t say they don’t make money. Said they make little. They cut two of our staffing numbers in medical because of it. 

Car events bring almost double that. 

And 10K is not much when account for what it costs to run the facility for the day. That’s why they rely on volunteer coaches 

So teen driving school makes more than 10K per event? :) 50 riders is a lighter day so this is on the low end. PTR is part of the school. It's the highest revenue generator for the school from what I'm told. The school as a whole has to be peanuts compared to the major events the track holds but that goes for any track in the country. I don't think Car track days bring in more money for MidO since the track is rented out. I've heard numbers thrown out in the past and it's not 20K.

Do you know of any org that is paying their coaches cash for track days? Let me know I'll go coach for them. :)

• Haha 1

I mean, it's been known for a while bikes take the back seat to cars there. Everything falls on deaf ears when it comes to feedback from riders. Like a repave. Shit they could potentially have a MA round there if they repaved and updated their facilities. The layout is good.

18 minutes ago, OSUYZFR1 said:

So teen driving school makes more than 10K per event? :) 50 riders is a lighter day so this is on the low end. PTR is part of the school. It's the highest revenue generator for the school from what I'm told. The school as a whole has to be peanuts compared to the major events the track holds but that goes for any track in the country. I don't think Car track days bring in more money for MidO since the track is rented out. I've heard numbers thrown out in the past and it's not 20K.

Do you know of any org that is paying their coaches cash for track days? Let me know I'll go coach for them. :)

You’re not wrong on your thinking but you’re missing some things. 

The teen driving is generally scheduled concurrently with another event so there’s two incomes and they do not have medical  on for teen school so one less expense. 

And on the car club days, no they don’t pay 20k that’s not where my almost double comes from. I’m speaking bottom line. 

When a club rents the facility they carry their own insurance and they pay medical so Mid O is not paying those two bills. Basically the same deal when WERA runs, they bring their own insurance instead of Mid O and they pay medical. That’s why 16yo can race at VMD but not at PTR because it’s not Mid O insurance coverage. 

All of us on medical are not on Mid O payroll, we’re contracted. Mid O pays us on major events and track sponsored events such as PTR. 

The clubs pay the medical coverage bill on those days. Same as when OSP rents the facility for training. They do it concurrently with another event and pay part of medical. 

Take Medical and Insurance out of the days expenses and that is a sizable bump to the net income for the day. 

13 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

You’re not wrong on your thinking but you’re missing some things. 

The teen driving is generally scheduled concurrently with another event so there’s two incomes and they do not have medical  on for teen school so one less expense. 

And on the car club days, no they don’t pay 20k that’s not where my almost double comes from. I’m speaking bottom line. 

When a club rents the facility they carry their own insurance and they pay medical so Mid O is not paying those two bills. Basically the same deal when WERA runs, they bring their own insurance instead of Mid O and they pay medical. That’s why 16yo can race at VMD but not at PTR because it’s not Mid O insurance coverage. 

All of us on medical are not on Mid O payroll, we’re contracted. Mid O pays us on major events and track sponsored events such as PTR. 

The clubs pay the medical coverage bill on those days. Same as when OSP rents the facility for training. They do it concurrently with another event and pay part of medical. 

Take Medical and Insurance out of the days expenses and that is a sizable bump to the net income for the day. 

Right i think it’s like 10k to rent the track. I’d bet there are numerous days where PTR nets more than 10k. Sold out days are over 100 riders. I’ve heard numbers for medical but not insurance but either way I stand by my statements. :) 

You gonna be up there much this year?

37 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I mean, it's been known for a while bikes take the back seat to cars there. Everything falls on deaf ears when it comes to feedback

The corner workers are part of this problem. I’ve got into it on several occasions over shit they say on the radio and in med center when they come in for lunch. They bitch all the time about bikes and having to work PTR. The majority of them are car people and most forger I ride too and am listening. 

A handful of assholes over the seasons have created that. The bike guys run the flag to get one more lap in more than cars do and the bike guys argue more about getting back out on track after a crash and it pisses them off. 

5 minutes ago, OSUYZFR1 said:

You gonna be up there much this year?

Yea more than last two seasons since I’ll be home this year instead of on the road with Gav doing MA. I’ll be at all the major events and at some of the evening stuff. Probably not working any of the day PTR unless absolutely needed but going to ride more of them 

34 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

The corner workers are part of this problem. I’ve got into it on several occasions over shit they say on the radio and in med center when they come in for lunch. They bitch all the time about bikes and having to work PTR. The majority of them are car people and most forger I ride too and am listening. 

A handful of assholes over the seasons have created that. The bike guys run the flag to get one more lap in more than cars do and the bike guys argue more about getting back out on track after a crash and it pisses them off. 

They don't have to work PTR. They can find another job or another place to volunteer.

I'm just wondering if Mid Ohio will get their shit together and fix what needs to be fixed before they start loosing the cars too. 

40 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

They don't have to work PTR. They can find another job 

While I don’t disagree with you, I see their side too. Riders are definitely bigger assholes to them than the car guys. 

That being said, Mark, Brian and Bill have absolutely cracked down on it and been kicking guys out way more than Todd ever did so its not as big a problem anymore. 

Some of them still hold a grudge though. 

19 minutes ago, jacobhawkins said:

#redflagbandits

@DerekClouser @what @kbrok

Taking another lap on a checker flag is bad, on a red flag its really bad; just imagine being the guy that went down, and actually got hurt and having to wait that much longer for medical personnel to get to you because people arent paying attention..... gotta move with some pace to get the hell off track.

Always have those guys going 50mph around the track when the red comes out. You can try and signal to them to speed up but it normally doesnt do much good. 

Edited by Jester_

3 hours ago, what said:

heard rumors of a repave in the next year or 2

1 hour ago, ludwb675 said:

That's been the rumor for the last 3 years....

1 hour ago, MidgetTodd said:

At least last 3 years. Probably closer to 5/6 years. Right after the last round of superbike. 

All true statements but I’ve heard the same from someone that would be in the know. Never heard this from him previously. 🤞 

1 hour ago, OSUYZFR1 said:

All true statements but I’ve heard the same from someone that would be in the know. Never heard this from him previously. 🤞 

Yeah it's from a pretty reliable source this time round.