Random Track Talk

TimTheAzn

Has anyone done the Lean Race School? I am looking for a bit more info than they have on their site and figured some of you may have tried it. I ride middle of the pack in intermediate so I am probably not competitive enough to race but thought it might be interesting to try out the school. Also, it says it is all Advanced but I think that is speaking to your bike setup and not necessarily your skill level. 

7 minutes ago, TMC Customs said:

Has anyone done the Lean Race School? I am looking for a bit more info than they have on their site and figured some of you may have tried it. I ride middle of the pack in intermediate so I am probably not competitive enough to race but thought it might be interesting to try out the school. Also, it says it is all Advanced but I think that is speaking to your bike setup and not necessarily your skill level. 

No experience with LEAN race school but I have been through N2's. I'd imagine they are similar. You run normal track sessions with shirts on designating you being in the race license class in the morning with mandatory classroom sessions in between. There is a mock race just after lunch (you must complete this without incident). So long as you pass the paper test and don't bin it in the mock race you get a certificate you can then present to WERA or CCS to obtain a provisional novice license. After that you must run 2 race weekends (can only do 1 race 1 weekend if you wish) without incident to graduate to full novice status, at least in WERA.

I can help you get this setup with N2 if you'd like. You can email in to support@n2td.org

Cost is $100 for the race school on top of the track day cost.

On 3/28/2019 at 12:59 PM, TimTheAzn said:

No experience with LEAN race school but I have been through N2's. I'd imagine they are similar. You run normal track sessions with shirts on designating you being in the race license class in the morning with mandatory classroom sessions in between. There is a mock race just after lunch (you must complete this without incident). So long as you pass the paper test and don't bin it in the mock race you get a certificate you can then present to WERA or CCS to obtain a provisional novice license. After that you must run 2 race weekends (can only do 1 race 1 weekend if you wish) without incident to graduate to full novice status, at least in WERA.

I can help you get this setup with N2 if you'd like. You can email in to support@n2td.org

Cost is $100 for the race school on top of the track day cost.

What if you are slow? 😀 All i gotta do is pass a written exam and not crash?  Shit i can do that hahahahaha

1 hour ago, jhughes said:

What if you are slow? 😀 All i gotta do is pass a written exam and not crash?  Shit i can do that hahahahaha

Pretty much anyone can get into racing if they have the money and time. Not everyone is successful, though. :lol:

I was content taking parade laps in my mock race until I realized I knew the chick I was behind, had to give her the business after that. So I was in fact not last place in my mock race like I had planned. 

Mock Race 1.PNG

Mock Race 2.PNG

2 hours ago, jhughes said:

I  have zero desire to race i just thought it was interesting that its that easy to get a race license.

Pretty easy! Plus we need this sport to grow! Kids that grow up with a racing addiction cant afford to have any others and will work to feed that addiction! :lol:

it certainly is easy, though in all fairness most instructors that will be testing you for your race license want to see that you are atleast smooth and consistent , you dont need to be fast,  just a very good handle on how tracks work and the ability to run good lines... that plus passing a test and not falling down are all you need...

fwiw, I have tested quite a few people and you would be surprised how many cant make it through the day with out crashing... that said in my own race class waay back in 2011 we had 2 guys  wreck in the first session .. 1 never made it out of the pits.. 

12 hours ago, TwiztedRabbit said:

fwiw, I have tested quite a few people and you would be surprised how many cant make it through the day with out crashing... that said in my own race class waay back in 2011 we had 2 guys  wreck in the first session .. 1 never made it out of the pits.. 

lawwwwdddd.

Idk how those guys are ok with crashing. Crashing sucks.

I crash a few times per weekend on the minis, but that's because I am pushing that bike way past what they were built to do, with 20 other riders doing exactly the same thing right next to me. I'm curious how the Grom will do this year with decent suspension, tires and brakes. I'm not expecting my pretty plastics to survive the season, but I'm going to (in theory) take more care on that bike than I do on the indestructible XR100. (of course that's always the plan until you're fighting for a position and are pretty god damn sure you can keep/take it if you just push that 1% harder 😂)

Big bikes - I would not be pushing to that point. 

Edited by what

I crashed in my race school, but it wasn't during the mock race so I still got a license haha. 

209 GPA front, 50 degrees, rain, and the front tire warmer wasnt on, the instructors knew I was gonna be creeping around anyways but I survived about 10 turns before I crashed... the good ol days.

• Haha 1

On 4/3/2019 at 11:24 AM, Jester_ said:

I crashed in my race school, but it wasn't during the mock race so I still got a license haha. 

209 GPA front, 50 degrees, rain, and the front tire warmer wasnt on, the instructors knew I was gonna be creeping around anyways but I survived about 10 turns before I crashed... the good ol days.

That was Nelson Ledges, right?  I think I was in that one, too.

haha nice... yeah if you crash period unless taken out) you get a fail and can retake as early as the next event 

during my race  testing we had those 2 guys then total of 5 out of 10 others wreck over the day... it was  40 as the high and whatnot but sheesh

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, jhughes said:

Anyone thinking of going to Mid O  next Monday? (22nd)  I'm sure the weather will change 15 times between now and then but there is a day scheduled 

No Mid O for me yet.  Planning on going to NCBike first weekend in May.  Anyone else?

Edited by F4iguy

21 hours ago, jhughes said:

Anyone thinking of going to Mid O  next Monday? (22nd)  I'm sure the weather will change 15 times between now and then but there is a day scheduled 

Weather permitting, I will be there. Last year they cancelled the April session. 

Il be at summit main that Monday, its too early for me to start thinking about Mid Ohio. 

Following weekend will be nc bike with n2, then WERA at Nelson's ledges, then N2 at pirc. Busy /expensive few weeks of riding ahead...

Edited by Jester_
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jester_ said:

Il be at summit main that Monday, its too early for me to start thinking about Mid Ohio. 

Following weekend will be nc bike with n2, then WERA at Nelson's ledges, then N2 at pirc. Busy /expensive few weeks of riding ahead...

That's my schedule too. 😁