Random Track Talk

TimTheAzn

8 hours ago, ludwb675 said:

Yesterday ended up being a perfect day at Mid-O. Rain held off until the last session was over (except for novice). They were lined up in the pits as it was sprinkling but i think the coaches made the right move and cancelled the last session. 

I set another PR for the year with a 1:44.2. I was consistently running in the 44-48's without traffic. It's hard to explain but i think the more experienced riders will understand. But as i was riding faster, everything seemed to slow down. I was carrying a lot more speed through the corners but it felt slow; maybe slow isn't the correct term. I'm assuming this is just from experience and learning the track more. 

Either way, I greatly improved my turn 8, 9 and 13 corner speeds. The next corners to work on is 1 and 11b? (the right hander over the hill going into thunder valley). Those are both fast turns i know i slow down too much for. 

Brian, @ludwb675

had a great time riding and hanging out with you.  As promised, here is that sweet pass you made on the gray bike after the carousel.  It's at about 2:10.  After that - you were gone!

Edited by F4iguy
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, F4iguy said:

Brian, @ludwb675

had a great time riding and hanging out with you.  As promised, here is that sweet pass you made on the gray bike after the carousel.  It's at about 2:10.  After that - you were gone!

It was nice meeting you and riding with ya.

Thanks for posting that! It was nice to get some footage of my body positioning. Looks like i still need to get my head out a bit more. I watched the pass about 10 times! Made it look like i know what i'm doing. haha! 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone trying to make it to Mid-O tomorrow? Weather looks to be breaking. Thinking about it. 

Also, who was at Fathead's on Friday night? Noticed a PTR shirt at the bar walking out. 

Edited by ludwb675

2 hours ago, ludwb675 said:

Anyone trying to make it to Mid-O tomorrow? Weather looks to be breaking. Thinking about it. 

Also, who was at Fathead's on Friday night? Noticed a PTR shirt at the bar walking out. 

I'm headed down there tonight to camp and then ride tomorrow. It will be my 1st track day. Can't wait. 

@ludwb675 I enjoyed it. During my 1st session I found myself wanting to go faster. There were only 3 of us in my group in novice and 2 of us mentioned to our CR we felt we could definitely handle a faster pace easily. The next time out the CR picked up the pace and we caught up with the group that left before us. Definitely more enjoyable. In the 3rd session the 3rd guy in our group who was over thinking everything imo (made me think of some folks that post on OR) went down basically right in front of me. He got off in the grass. In the 4th and final session of the day I felt I was starting to improve on sections of the track. I really was enjoying winding through the final 2 turns before the front straightaway. All in all I had a good day. I plan to go back, but it probably won't be until next year. I was going to try to go to Pitt Friday for the free intro but they're calling for rain. 

Edited by durk
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

We went to G & J today. Had fun and did pretty good. Hellmutt is at less than 50 sec lap times I am at under 60. I worked on my turns and shifting.

Down side was I had an issue with the bike on the last lap (throttle stuck - could of been me and not the bike). Overloaded the front and washed out. No damage to the bike (just the stickers) and my boots and visor are trash. Slow speed wash out since I was slowing down.

• 3 weeks later...

Turn 13 at Nelsons. Slower right hand turn. Feels like I'm getting my head off the bike more than this; but apparently I'm not.

So how close am I to running out of lean angle? 

59a03ceb8a579_675pic.jpg.78572e7679611aaed7eefc3a7701399d.jpg

Using my handy dandy cad skills at work, i'm roughly at 52 degrees. I guess i still got a little bit further before i should start loosing grip. But i'm close enough where i feel i need to really start working on better body positioning. I can probably get my ass off the seat a bit more but need to make sure my head follows. Also need to get my torso closer to the tank with my head down by the handlebars. 

59a0778828576_675leanangle.JPG.94d660198a14d534281935f05ab9054b.JPG

Edited by ludwb675
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:10 AM, ludwb675 said:

Turn 13 at Nelsons. Slower right hand turn. Feels like I'm getting my head off the bike more than this; but apparently I'm not.

So how close am I to running out of lean angle? 

59a03ceb8a579_675pic.jpg.78572e7679611aaed7eefc3a7701399d.jpg

Using my handy dandy cad skills at work, i'm roughly at 52 degrees. I guess i still got a little bit further before i should start loosing grip. But i'm close enough where i feel i need to really start working on better body positioning. I can probably get my ass off the seat a bit more but need to make sure my head follows. Also need to get my torso closer to the tank with my head down by the handlebars. 

59a0778828576_675leanangle.JPG.94d660198a14d534281935f05ab9054b.JPG

what is your current pace? that lean angel to that BP is excessive even at an advanced pace.

18 hours ago, TwiztedRabbit said:

what is your current pace? that lean angel to that BP is excessive even at an advanced pace.

My lap timer was not working last time i was there. I had someone using a stop watch and if i remember right it was in the 1:17's. But i could be wrong. 

I run in the mid 40's at Mid-O. 

My goal next year is to consistently get even more off the bike.

Edited by ludwb675

5 hours ago, ludwb675 said:

My lap timer was not working last time i was there. I had someone using a stop watch and if i remember right it was in the 1:17's. But i could be wrong. 

I run in the mid 40's at Mid-O. 

My goal next year is to consistently get even more off the bike.

solid pace at both those tracks... any faster and (currently) your flirting with disaster...  not  ness. in mid corner but as you  trail brake in or get on the gas out.. you are really close to edge of traction zones. it truly is keeping you from obtaining more corner speed as  physically at that angle you cant go faster.

• Upvote 1