Random Track Talk

TimTheAzn

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:42 PM, TimTheAzn said:

Not that going through traffic is an excuse for poor body position, but what about this one, same corner minus me lurking through traffic. Foot still needs to be higher on the peg.

image.jpeg

better, but honestly very similar its hard to get the whole picture from just a picture... like what I did there... but you toe  screams  don't hit me don't hit me.. you should move it back more. place the  outer edge/tip of the rear set peg   right about  the spot between your  big toe and middle toe... right on the meat.

I would comment more on the upper body but  I cant tell if its  pre apex post... or any of that jazz

I know a lot of you guys are into racing a lot deeper than I am these days, but it seems like people's plans and expenses are expanding faster than the universe...

Do you guys ever take a step back and just think about going back to packing the bike in the bed of the truck?  I was pushing the wife to endorse a 6x12 enclosed purchase, but I backed off when I started trying to rationalize the cost to her.  Smaller investments (nicer generator, high quality sleeping pad, etc.) made way more sense - and I can use the trailer money to build a bigger shed/garage.

3 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

I know a lot of you guys are into racing a lot deeper than I am these days, but it seems like people's plans and expenses are expanding faster than the universe...

Do you guys ever take a step back and just think about going back to packing the bike in the bed of the truck?  I was pushing the wife to endorse a 6x12 enclosed purchase, but I backed off when I started trying to rationalize the cost to her.  Smaller investments (nicer generator, high quality sleeping pad, etc.) made way more sense - and I can use the trailer money to build a bigger shed/garage.

This is why this subforum's name was changed to Track is Crack. Ya do it once and you jump feet first into a world of expensive things.

I got a trailer because I wanted to be independent where if I go to a track by myself, I can unload everything and load everything by myself. Getting a bike into a bed of a truck is tricky by yourself. Plus a member of this forum gave me a good deal on my trailer. Enclosed trailers have the added benefit of being able to sleep in it and keeps your stuff dry and snow free (if you are like me and are picking up a bike this weekend.)

I do need a generator but I'm not sure if I'll have one before Road A, which is going to be interesting since from my understanding there isn't much if any power in the paddock.

1 minute ago, TimTheAzn said:

I do need a generator but I'm not sure if I'll have one before Road A, which is going to be interesting since from my understanding there isn't much if any power in the paddock.

I plan on Steve bringing his and I'll have mine. They will both run 3 sets. If you don't piss us off you could probably use a plug. :) 

• Upvote 1

Just now, blue03636 said:

I plan on Steve bringing his and I'll have mine. They will both run 3 sets. If you don't piss us off you could probably use a plug. :) 

..uhhh which one of your plugs are you talking about. Paul has told me the stories.................

Just now, blue03636 said:

They were plus I wanted to hound you a little.

Well, I kinda had to lol, it was perfect timing. 

See everytime I wait (procrastinate whatever you want to call it) to buy something, 90% of the time I find a deal.

46 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

This is why this subforum's name was changed to Track is Crack. Ya do it once and you jump feet first into a world of expensive things.

I got a trailer because I wanted to be independent where if I go to a track by myself, I can unload everything and load everything by myself. Getting a bike into a bed of a truck is tricky by yourself. Plus a member of this forum gave me a good deal on my trailer. Enclosed trailers have the added benefit of being able to sleep in it and keeps your stuff dry and snow free (if you are like me and are picking up a bike this weekend.)

This all sounds totally reasonable to me. People start losing me when they're making payments on a hauler, a bigger truck to pull the hauler, and a bike that is sharper than they will ever be. 

I love racing. I love hanging at the track. I don't love making racing more expensive. If you're really riding 2-3 weekends/month with 2-3 buddies splitting costs, then I start to understand. 

I just Look back at the 80's and 90's paddock pics, and I see a lot more tents than trailers. A lot more bikes too. Wondering if the two things are related. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, redkow97 said:

This all sounds totally reasonable to me. People start losing me when they're making payments on a hauler, a bigger truck to pull the hauler, and a bike that is sharper than they will ever be. 

I love racing. I love hanging at the track. I don't love making racing more expensive. If you're really riding 2-3 weekends/month with 2-3 buddies splitting costs, then I start to understand. 

I just Look back at the 80's and 90's paddock pics, and I see a lot more tents than trailers. A lot more bikes too. Wondering if the two things are related. 

I have a tent that I crash in. One night in the back of my explorer told me to get a tent and an air mattress. That setup is perfectly fine for me. Of course if I won the lottery, I'd have a hell of a toy hauler.

A reason some might take the leap and buy/make payments on a hauler; family, especially with ones with younger children. It allows them to escape into the AC on those hot days and still have room to entertain themselves. Same goes for the significant other. It allows the whole family to join in on the weekend or day and keep everyone happy and comfortable. For those that coach for organizations I see the benefit of having a place you can relax without having to pitch it and take it down at the end of the weekend. I'm far too poor for a toy hauler, closest I see myself coming to one is an enclosed trailer.

As for the whole getting a bike that is sharper than that rider will ever be, well I am now in that now boat soo..... :lol:

• Upvote 1

A good canvas tent costs $600 and will hold heat and/or AC pretty damn well.  That is the route I am planning to take at some point.

http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/10-x-14-ft-flex-bow-canvas-tent-basic/

Aerobed brand air mattresses (or anything with integrated inflation) plus a window AC unit (cut a hole at the base of a wall to fit your AC unit, then wrap it snug with a ratchet strap) makes a tent damn comfortable. 

I spent 24 hours waiting in line for a hotel lottery (college.  spring break.) in February.  Someone had a large, old, canvas tent. We had a small propane heater, and were totally comfortable despite the gusting winds and sub-zero temps.  The weight of the tent makes wind (and daylight) a non-issue. They ARE heavy though.  Like 80 lbs.  More if it rains.

44 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

A good canvas tent costs $600 and will hold heat and/or AC pretty damn well.  That is the route I am planning to take at some point.

http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/10-x-14-ft-flex-bow-canvas-tent-basic/

Aerobed brand air mattresses (or anything with integrated inflation) plus a window AC unit (cut a hole at the base of a wall to fit your AC unit, then wrap it snug with a ratchet strap) makes a tent damn comfortable. 

I spent 24 hours waiting in line for a hotel lottery (college.  spring break.) in February.  Someone had a large, old, canvas tent. We had a small propane heater, and were totally comfortable despite the gusting winds and sub-zero temps.  The weight of the tent makes wind (and daylight) a non-issue. They ARE heavy though.  Like 80 lbs.  More if it rains.

Hmm, never thought of a canvas tent.

God help the ones that pit next to me if it becomes ridiculously hot. Clothes will start to come off. :lol:

Another thought for tent/shelter at the track. I have used my ez-up wrapped in tarps multiple times for Atv trips with friends. Just placed the ez-up over the trailer, wrapped it in tarps , and threw an air mattress on the trailer bed. Slept through more than 1 storm with no issues. I'm thinking this may be the route I go when I head to mid O this year. 

9 minutes ago, durk said:

Another thought for tent/shelter at the track. I have used my ez-up wrapped in tarps multiple times for Atv trips with friends. Just placed the ez-up over the trailer, wrapped it in tarps , and threw an air mattress on the trailer bed. Slept through more than 1 storm with no issues. I'm thinking this may be the route I go when I head to mid O this year. 

Gonna do multiple days in a row down there this year? Lemme know when you head that way, I may have some certs to burn.

I technically don't have a trailer right now, but my buddy parks his in my driveway and in return I can use it whenever. 

I would love a toy hauler. Having a wife and kids they aren't real excited about sleeping on an air mattress with no access or heat or ac or pretty much anything and they would like to go on longer trips with me, maybe even extend some trips. Jennings could turn into Disney for example if you extend the trip for example. I was hoping to get one this year but my old truck went TU and I got a new one instead of a toy hauler for this year anyways. Also we have lots of camping trips planned that we would love to have a camper for, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon etc... 

But yes there are certainly cheaper ways of getting to the track, Ryan showed us that with his Saturn. But last year Ryan, Brandon and I went to road atlanta and back last year and I think between the 3 of us it was $70 a piece for fuel, doing 20ish days a year that helps out. So more than one way to skin a car I suppose. 

Edited by Jester_

1 hour ago, Jester_ said:

I would love a toy hauler. Having a wife and kids they aren't real excited about sleeping on an air mattress with no access or heat or ac or pretty much anything and they would like to go on longer trips with me, maybe even extend some trips. Jennings could turn into Disney for example if you extend the trip for example. I was hoping to get one this year but my old truck went TU and I got a new one instead of a toy hauler for this year anyways. Also we have lots of camping trips planned that we would love to have a camper for, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon etc... 

This is my ultimate plan for the wife and I.  Get a toyhauler to tote the bikes out west, see the sights, ride Pikes Peak and some other prime riding locales, take in our bucketlist trackdays at Miller/Laguna Seca/COTA.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jester_ said:

I technically don't have a trailer right now, but my buddy parks his in my driveway and in return I can use it whenever. 

But yes there are certainly cheaper ways of getting to the track, Ryan showed us that with his Saturn. But last year Ryan, Brandon and I went to road atlanta and back last year and I think between the 3 of us it was $70 a piece for fuel, doing 20ish days a year that helps out. So more than one way to skin a car I suppose. 

Dont miss Glacier NP while you're at it!

• Upvote 1