Thinking About a .45

ScubaCinci

Now that the bikes are put away...

Between the wife and I, we have 4 different 9mm pistols..few Glocks, Kel-Tec and a SIG P229. I had stuck with 9mm because the ammo is cheaper than the larger calibers so I figured I'd get more practice in. Now that ammo prices have come back down a bit, I've been thinking about picking up a .45 for the house, no C&C with it so a full size pistol. I want a little variety and having some extra stopping power won't hurt.

I'm not a fan of 1911's and I haven't handled many of the different .45 models. I've shot a Glock 21 (Gen 4)...it was OK, it's a Glock. I have two, I'd like to get something different. I also used an H&K HK45 which was super nice, very balanced, little recoil. Both were range rentals at a Cincinnati gun shop. While I really liked the H&K, it's >$1000 (maybe closer to $1200, haven't seen one at the local shop yet) so there's that.

I stopped in the shop up the street from my house and handled a few that they had - Springfield XDm - Felt nice, I wasn't been a big fan of the trigger pull on them (I fired a 9mm in my C&C class that another guy in the class had). Beretta PX4 Storm - One sexy pistol, seemed very light. The back strap that was on there was a little big for my hand to comfortably reach the mag eject and slide release so it was hard to get a feel for it. I don't know a lot about Beretta's. Being light, it may have more kick but it has a rotating barrell which is supposed to offset the recoil. Seems like it'd wear easy if not kept super clean.

They were busy and I didn't want to take up the guy's time "window shopping" so I didn't check out any others but they had S&W M&P's, a Taurus (not sure which model) and some Rugers (again, didn't check the models).

They didn't have the SIG P220 which is probably a lot like my P229 that I'm fond of (again >$1k) nor the H&K which I already know I like but I can nearly get 2 of the less expensive ones for the price. Still, these both carry a premium for a reason. I can afford either, just don't care to spend a lot extra unnecessarily.

Long story short, I know we have a lot of firearm guys and gals on here so curious as to what .45 you shoot and if you had to choose a new one, which would it be (or keep what you have)? I know it's going to come down to how they feel in my hand, the features (or lack thereof i.e. safety), and how it fires but I'm sure I'll find a few that feel pretty good to me. Maybe this is an oil thread :rolleyes:

F&N's FNX model. It is the smoothest shooting 45 I have ever shot. Very easy to shoot, my wife who is small and weak and not a gun nut is deadly with it. Decocker so it can be ready to go DA for the first round then SA after that if you want.

They come ambidextrous everything if you need that.

I'll admit to being a 1911 fanboy. I have two, a Kimber custom carry and a Springfield.  I "had" an XDM in 45 also and found I couldn't hit with it.  Everyone I let shoot it, shot the dumb thing better than me.  It found a new home.  I am really wanting to try the HK in a .45 next as I have heard good things about them.  Not sure on the others you mentioned, it's hard for me to put the 1911's in the back of the safe.

Guess I'll be that guy. Love the xdm. Had the 45 and have the 9mm both in the 5.25" barrel with target rear and fiber optic front sight. Those guns are very well suited for burning through hundreds of rounds of ammo popping steel plates. That's why I only have the 9mm now. 

I have a Springfield 1911 and an early West German Sig P220 both in .45.  Anytime I leave the house I take the Sig.  While the Sig is not an absolute tack driver it digests any load (including handloads) I feed it.  The Springfield is nice, but doesn't fit my hand as well as the Sig.  Let me hit the Lotto, and tomorrow I'd buy a new P220.

Another one I've shot (in 9mm) is the Sig P320 compact.  This is unique in the fact the trigger assembly is serialized and the BATF counts that as the gun.  You buy different frame kits and swap it back and forth.  Depending on what you think you need, you can go sub compact, compact, or full size.  It's offered in .45 also, so Lotto winnings would bring one of those home too.

Whatever you choose, practice, practice, practice.  Clean and repeat.  That's how you develop skill and confidence in it.  I've put over 5000 rounds through the P220.  I'm decent with it; but the gun's better than I am.

Oh...I run vegetable oil in my vehicles.

Mel Pics016.jpg

Edited by Wandering Soul

Before ammo became hard to get (thanks Obama), I had gotten rid of almost all my handguns that weren't 9mm.  At the time, it seemed like 9mm would always be the most available ammo.  Of course that changed quickly.  When there were ammo shortages, I seemed to always see .40cal available in stores.  I've never been a big fan of .40, but I bought one for just that reason.  I went with a XDM 5.25.  

I've owned or fired just about every pistol that I care to.  In my hands, the XD/XDM platform seems to be the most accurate.  

• Upvote 1

I know the shop up the street from me is going to have a big BF sale on S&W...I might have a look at the M&P.

Looking around the web, there aren't many models from the mainstream manufacturers that would be considered bad. I'm just going to have to go shoot a bunch and see what feels best. I'm not too concerned about longevity in terms of # of rounds fired which seems to be the biggest selling point of the more expensive options. I don't shoot a ton...I should do more but competing interests and all.

10 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

Looking around the web, there aren't many models from the mainstream manufacturers that would be considered bad. I'm just going to have to go shoot a bunch and see what feels best.

Yea, this really isn't an oil thread...as all oils are the same.  This is more of a 'whats the best bike thread'.  It's a personal preference and what's important to you.

• Upvote 1

If you already have a lot of 9mm, there's the Armscore TCM series that has a drop in 9mm, and has the 1911 form factor.  It shoots the 22 TCM which is similar to the caliber secret service uses due to penetrating bulletproof vests and high capacity.  

And it shoots fireballs...

https://goo.gl/images/xJjSP7

• Upvote 1

I went through a 1911 phase in the 90s - several springfield government models, a few colts and a very nice Colt Combat Elite with competition enhancements. Fun guns and there's nothing like a 1911, but I'm so over them these days. I don't compete, so the Elite was traded long ago and lesser models lost their charm. Today I have a Kahr CM45 that shoots great and is accurate enough to get a passing compliment from Mike See, plus it's eminently carry-able. For home defense, I'd opt for a higher cap .45 than what a 1911 offers.

7 hours ago, smccrory said:

Today I have a Kahr CM45 that shoots great and is accurate enough to get a passing compliment from Mike See, plus it's eminently carry-able.  For home defense, I'd opt for a higher cap .45 than what a 1911 offers...

Carry weapon and home defense are apples and oranges.  For home I keep a Remington 870 pump with a 21" barrel and extension tube.  Loaded to the gills with first 4 rounds being birdshot and the last two 00 buck.  The birdshot won't penetrate drywall to the next room.  If I go through that all bets are off; somebody's going to get an boo-boo.

Although the sound of a pump racking a round in will make the average home invader/methhead/crackhead rethink his career choices.  I've had a front door kicked in; I take these things seriously.

35 minutes ago, Wandering Soul said:

...rounds being birdshot and the last two 00 buck.  The birdshot won't penetrate drywall to the next room.  

I've found that I prefer 7.5 shot when I shoot clays.  I get too many smokey clays that don't break with 8 shot.  It seems crazy that there's that much of a difference.  But yeah, my rattley Mossberg 500 tactical is great for home peace of mind. 

36 minutes ago, smccrory said:

Plenty of YouTube vids than contradict the theory of birdshot staying behind a couple layers of drywall. Still gotta know what's behind your target.

True.  But I've played with this in my backyard, and damage past that second layer is substantially reduced.  Now that it's just me and the wife, chances of anyone but the target(s) getting some of it is greatly reduced.  Wife has her marching orders; in case of a break in she retreats to our bedroom, closes the door and assumes a position facing the door crouched behind the bed and armed.  I will not go through that door after she's in there.  Like I said...I take this stuff seriously.  She's been through similar stuff; she does too.

Edited by Wandering Soul
  • Upvote 1

+2 for the M&P...I own a "couple of handguns" and have shot many more. I find the M&P to be very reliable and comfortable to shoot. I also love my Kimbers and 1911's but they are not everyday carry guns. Basically it is personal preference, all the new models are pretty well made. My everyday carry is an M&P compact chambered in 9mm.