Thinking About a .45

ScubaCinci

1 hour ago, alienpi said:

I've found that I prefer 7.5 shot when I shoot clays.  I get too many smokey clays that don't break with 8 shot.  It seems crazy that there's that much of a difference.  But yeah, my rattley Mossberg 500 tactical is great for home peace of mind. 

I always shot Ounce and a 1/8 of 7.5s for years trap shooting from the 27. I'd load a couple hot shells when doing long shot or buddy shoot.

7 hours ago, Wandering Soul said:

Carry weapon and home defense are apples and oranges.  For home I keep a Remington 870 pump with a 21" barrel and extension tube.  Loaded to the gills with first 4 rounds being birdshot and the last two 00 buck.  The birdshot won't penetrate drywall to the next room.  If I go through that all bets are off; somebody's going to get an boo-boo.

Although the sound of a pump racking a round in will make the average home invader/methhead/crackhead rethink his career choices.  I've had a front door kicked in; I take these things seriously.

I have reservations about using any kind of long gun for indoor defense.  It seems like there's a possibility of a struggle over the weapon in such close quarters.  I do like shotgun shells though.  I have been looking at the Taurus Judge and S&W Governor.  They seem like a viable options for home defense.  

Edited by Tpoppa
  • Upvote 1

Since .45 is more than just ACP........here is a counter view. Go for a wheel gun in .45 Colt. Ruger offers the RedHawks in 45ACP/45 Colt convertible, Blackhawks as well. S&W offers wheel guns in 45 Colt. 

45 Colt can range from mild "cowboy" loads to some serious heavy hunting loads. Just make sure you have a wheel gun made for the heavy loads. 

IME 45 Colt is an accurate hard hitting round even with factory loads. If you have a convertible like the RedHawks, you can shoot 2 different calibers. 

Try it, you may be surprised......

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

I have reservations about using any kind of long gun for indoor defense.  It seems like there's a possibility of a struggle over the weapon in such close quarters.  I do like shotgun shells though.  I have been looking at the Taurus Judge and S&W Governor.  They seem like a viable options for home defense.  

I shot a judge at the range.  1 shot.  It was an early model, and the wadding would sometimes prevent the cylinder from rotating, rendering an otherwise dead-nuts-reliable design flawed.

There are shorter 410 shells now, specifically to prevent that issue.  On new Judge models, they also made the cylinder longer, so the issue is alleviated on standard 410 rounds. 

If you're going to be buying personal defense 410 rounds anyway (the ones with the little smarty-sized disks rather than buck), I doubt the shorter ones are hard to come by.  If you're just going to be sticking standard bird shot into a judge though, you'll want a newer model.

This is all per the report of the guy who owned the one I shot, btw.  He's a police officer, and leaves the Judge in his personal vehicle. 

IWI Jericho in .45ACP.  The preferred sidearm for Israeli officers.

Have shot with just about every type of .45, and this one feels like a 9mm as far as recoil goes.  Also makes a decent carry.

....and in the immortal words of one nut on another forum "It's been tried on Palestinians daily"

• Upvote 1

Hmmm...I've never heard of them but I'm admittedly not well schooled in firearms in general. I know how to operate and maintain the ones I have and my knowledge goes downhill after that. My son is in the army and knows a lot so I bounce stuff off him from time to time.

They sound really nice...likely not something I can hold and/or go shoot locally to try it

Edited by ScubaCinci

Dunhams is running a similar deal on Remington 9mm (115 gr and 124 gr).   Sale price is $9.99 per box, and there is a $5.00 rebate per box (up to 40 boxes).  My son and I each bought 40 boxes last night.  Rebate forms mailed today.   After the rebate (and including sales tax) , it works out to roughly 11 cents per round.   

We did get a lot of strange looks wheeling a shopping cart around the store last night with 4,000 rounds of ammo.  :-)

Edited by Wahoo
  • Upvote 1

Well, look what followed me home today...:cool: Got a good deal. Technically I was working from home today so I literally went over at lunch to see what they had on sale and bought it so I didn't have time to hit the range but I will tomorrrow! Several of the guys working there commented that they really liked it and have heard nothing but good things which matches what I've read online.

The shop also had .223 for 5.99 a box (20) so I picked up a handful of boxes.

px.jpg

• Upvote 2

Congratulations on the PX-4, I still regret not buying one... Rural King had them at a huge discounted price a few months ago.  Have you ever considered a 10mm, my Glock G29 can be uncomfortable for some with hot rounds, but, in my opinion, certainly worth a look.

Thanks. Took it to the range this evening and put 100 rounds through it (cheapos, no issues) and it fires great. Feels more like a mid-sized 9mm. My wife and I are going to the range tomorrow so she can fire it as well. She's bringing her Glock 19 and  I'll bring my baby Glock and Sig P229 9 mils as well since they need some love to.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, LINK said:

Congratulations on the PX-4, I still regret not buying one... Rural King had them at a huge discounted price a few months ago.  Have you ever considered a 10mm, my Glock G29 can be uncomfortable for some with hot rounds, but, in my opinion, certainly worth a look.

10mm is a great round.  I'm surprised it isn't more popular.  I had a long slide Glock 40MOS.   Recoil wasnt bad at all and it has enough power to drop a deer at 50 yards.

• 1 month later...

Thought I would update this thread now that I've put a few hundred rounds though it.

Really liking this Baretta. It doesn't feel like a .45. In fact, my son is visiting for Christmas and he's active Army infantry. We went shooting the other day and he brought his Sig 9mm and I also had my Glock 26 9mm along with the Baretta, We got to the lane, I loaded up the .45 and let him try it after shooting the other two. When he was done, he went to load it and looked down at the ammo box and said "hey, did you know they gave you .45 and not 9mm?" :lol:He thought it was a 9mm by the way it fired...I never mentioned to him that it was a .45. He really liked it a lot and was impressed how smooth it is.

I had accuracy issues early on, I was a little high off to the left (I'm right handed). I adjusted how my finger was placed on the trigger (more towards the tip, on the pad) and that fixed it. It's a little different position than I use on the Glock 26 which is what I shoot the most because it's my carry weapon and I want to stay in practice with it.