Wouldn't shift?

Casper

I went for a spin today. Everything was fine until about two miles from home when suddenly the bike wouldn't shift. I went from first to second, but it went to neutral. I thought I missed the shift, it happens. Then I tried to go to second but it just grinds. Tried several times with no luck. Then suddenly it started working again. Wtf? 

Try applying some fresh lube to any external shift linkage points. 

If the joints don't have decent lubrication they'll get cranky when the weather turns cold. 

attachment.php?attachmentid=64312&d=1427077076

This happened to me in Nov 2013 shortly after I bought the bike used, and I thought the transmission was toast.

Try spray-on lithium grease. Not WD-40.

• Upvote 1

never had an issue with the triumph's clutch. your cable good? have the triumph quick shift installed? your oil good? good for cold weather?

45 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Well, if this was a ducati, I'd have a guess of what the problem could be.

Just now, what said:

never had an issue with the triumph's clutch. your cable good? have the triumph quick shift installed? your oil good? good for cold weather?

Oil only has like 2k miles on it, but it's going to be my first step. Has the quick shift yes. Cable should be good, seems fine. What do you mean good for cold weather? Never had this problem in cooler temps before. 

the more viscous the oil, the longer it will take to get up to proper operating temps and stop being goupey. it's a stretch but who knows.

also, not sure how the quick shift would affect a regular clutched shift since all it does is cut the engine power for a split second but again, who knows. 

3 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

You still using that (SC)AMSOIL ? I swear that vstrom shifted 1000 times better after I changed the oil in it and taking that stuff out of it right after I got it.

Nada. Castrol Power RS Racing 4T 10W/40. I never had a problem with the Vee shifting. 

Just now, Casper said:

Nada. Castrol Power RS Racing 4T 10W/40. I never had a problem with the Vee shifting. 

Yea that's good stuff.

It was just smoother after the oil change in my opinion, it never failed to shift.

• Upvote 1

Scamsoil...I like that.  How long did you run that stuff before you switched to Castrol?

Reason I bring it up is that I've seen a clutch get "sticky" with certain fluids.  But, if it doesn't do it again after shooting the linkage with white lith, maybe the connections there just need a good clean 'n lube.

1 minute ago, Wandering Soul said:

Scamsoil...I like that.  How long did you run that stuff before you switched to Castrol?

Reason I bring it up is that I've seen a clutch get "sticky" with certain fluids.  But, if it doesn't do it again after shooting the linkage with white lith, maybe the connections there just need a good clean 'n lube.

Never used AmsOil in this bike. Only Castrol. 

7 hours ago, Wandering Soul said:

Then I blame this guy...as you were.

He said he's never used it in his current bike. But he used to in previous bikes. That's why I ask him if he were still using it.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Casper said:

Owning a Triumph has shown me why quality electronics aren't manufactured in England. 

Don't know about the new ones, but Lucas Electrics were used on the '60s-'70s.  The joke goes...Why do the English drink warm beer?

'Cause Lucas makes refrigerators too...

Once you got a factory wiring diagram, and got familiar with them it wasn't too bad to repair one.  Still...

"Lucas; Prince of Darkness". :D

• Upvote 1