M_Quick

Hope I don't offend the purists or large kettle/spit guys, but Cabella's has the Masterbuilt 30 electric smoker I've been enjoying all summer on sale for $149. It ain't no self-feeding pellet-powered Trager but wow is it easy to use with a low entry cost. That, some wood chips, meat, rub and/or marinate and you're in business.
07d7c753185483e2518590c5e762c281.jpg
802938717b515a65f33c30fa0406a789.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hope I don't offend the purists or large kettle/spit guys, but Cabella's has the Masterbuilt 30 electric smoker I've been enjoying all summer on sale for $149.

Wow that smoker looks brand new still, in fact it don't even look like it wa seasoned before adding the meat! And alot nicer than the one I got, for just about $30 more. So I'd say that looks like a great deal at $149 Did it come with a meat probe thermometer? I can see the built-in controls on the top rear.

• 2 weeks later...

Smoking some beef eye of the round today. And reading anywhere from internal temps of 125 to 160! I was thinking around 145 but looking for what you all recommend, thx and this is time sensitive as I'm at 110 degrees now.

On 12/4/2016 at 11:35 AM, M_Quick said:

Smoking some beef eye of the round today. And reading anywhere from internal temps of 125 to 160! I was thinking around 145 but looking for what you all recommend, thx and this is time sensitive as I'm at 110 degrees now.

So what temp did you end up taking it too, and how did it turn out?

• 2 weeks later...
So what temp did you end up taking it too, and how did it turn out?

150, it was still plenty rare. Had a strong smoke flavor. It was still good but the kids didn't like it. As fast as it cooked I probably didn't need the 2nd batch of wood chips.

I'm looking for a beef brisket to smoke around Christmas time. $8 a pound at my local giant eagle.

20 hours ago, M_Quick said:

150, it was still plenty rare. Had a strong smoke flavor. It was still good but the kids didn't like it. As fast as it cooked I probably didn't need the 2nd batch of wood chips.

I'm looking for a beef brisket to smoke around Christmas time. $8 a pound at my local giant eagle.

I get most of my meat at Sam's Club.  I've also been told that The Anderson's has some really good stuff.  

One thing that I don't see mentioned here is the water pan.  Keep that sucker full!  When doing an overnight smoke, I get through a couple cups of chips (couple hours) then set my remote thermometer to alarm me at about 250 degrees.  If it gets that high, it's because the water pan went empty.  I fill the water pan and go back to sleep.  

When I do brisket. I usually take it up to about 190 degrees so that it will be nice and tender, falling apart.  A trick that I learned from a local BBQ restaurant is after the smoke, seal it up in a plastic bag (such as a crockpot liner, or baking bag) with some juice, or water and let it go until it's at temp.

I went to a small place downtown called Meat Packers Outlet. They had beef brisket for $4.99 a pound. Gonna smoke it sat for the game. Not sure if I will cook it all to pulling temp or not. Thinking about cutting a couple lbs. off of it when it reaches 185 and then let the rest go to 205. Idk if that's a good idea or not. So we may just cook it all to pulling temp. I downloaded a temp chart and it shows 205 for Brisket pulled. Also says about 1.5 hours per pound at 225. To 250. Degrees.

1 hour ago, Bad324 said:

I'm not a fan of pulling brisket. Seems like a waste of brisket to me. I like nice thick slices of brisket. So damn good

My handy chart says 195 degrees for thick sliced. What do you cook yours till? 

I smoked salmon in mine for the first time this week.  Wow, I'm going to do that again!  210 degrees for 3 hours, though I think I'll go a little shorter, add water to the drip pan and wrap aluminum foil over the tops to keep more moisture in.

3 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Every time I see this thread bumped I get excited, then I remember it's about cooking food. Which still excites me, but I'm far too lazy to do this...

It's honestly pretty easy especially if you start with an electric one. Get a piece of meat, throw some rub on it, throw it in the smoker and pretty much forget about it a few hours. When I first got my smoker, I would throw the meat in then have a smoke then a nap and when I woke boom meat is ready to consume

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bad324 said:

It's honestly pretty easy especially if you start with an electric one. Get a piece of meat, throw some rub on it, throw it in the smoker and pretty much forget about it a few hours. When I first got my smoker, I would throw the meat in then have a smoke then a nap and when I woke boom meat is ready to consume

Well when you put it that way...............

8 minutes ago, Bad324 said:

Bad324 is spot on.  If I can learn from YouTube and a few online recipes to produce very nice results, anyone can.

On 12/29/2016 at 10:54 AM, bowdog said:

I will be smoking a prime rib for the first time this Saturday for the game...Anyone have any suggestions on a good rub?

How'd it turn out? My brisket was was to done for out liking, but was still tasty good. I cooked it to 185 and there was little to no pink inside. Next time I think I will pull it around 170'ish and have a peek inside.

27 minutes ago, M_Quick said:

How'd it turn out? My brisket was was to done for out liking, but was still tasty good. I cooked it to 185 and there was little to no pink inside. Next time I think I will pull it around 170'ish and have a peek inside.

Yeah, if you want it to have pink on the inside, you'll have to pull it much sooner than that.  The point of letting brisket go so long though, is that it is a pretty tough cut of meat, and "overcooking" it helps, as long as it's kept moist.  IMHO, it's brisket, not steak. ;)  That's the cool thing about BBQ, you can do it however YOU want it to be!

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, M_Quick said:

Absolutely tremendous!! made my own "paste" and smoked a 5.5lb rib for about 3 hours until the center was 140 ish. I wont eat prime rib any other way after doing this. I will try and posts some pics if i can figure it out.

• Upvote 1