M_Quick

So, this thread is not about the weed?

Yeah you gotta have something to do while you're waiting on the smoker. But if you smoked weed all day, you would end up passed out before the brisket was ready. And wake up the next morning to a lump of charcoal.

2 hours ago, M_Quick said:

Yeah you gotta have something to do while you're waiting on the smoker. But if you smoked weed all day, you would end up passed out before the brisket was ready. And wake up the next morning to a lump of charcoal.

Not totally true. Back when I worked at a place that I could skip the random drug tests and not get in trouble I partook often and would wake up early get the smoker going then take a wonderful weed nap and eat up good meats

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bad324 said:

Not totally true. Back when I worked at a place that I could skip the random drug tests and not get in trouble I partook often and would wake up early get the smoker going then take a wonderful weed nap and eat up good meats

lmao! Hey my smoker arrived early, wasn't supposed to be here till Monday. Book that came with it says to preseason smoker run on high for 3 hrs with no water or wood, and last 45 mins add 1/2 a cup of wood. I thought I read somewhere to rub inside walls down with some sort of oil?

15 minutes ago, Bad324 said:

I used olive oil because I'm well I'm Italian and that shit works for everything 

Thx, that's what I'll have the wife pickup later tonight along with some meat and seasonings. On my way home I picked up a cheap meat probe thermometer, 3 different kinds of wood chips, meat shredder, marinade injector, and a chicken holder. Should be able to smoke something this weekend! From what I can tell I have a cheaper smoker, so I hope it works okay. The main reason I say its cheaper is, there is no door seal. Some I've seen have a seal similar to oven doors. I don't know what the wife paid for the unit yet, but I will once the credit card statement arrives. This was a b-day gift, I will post pictures tomorrow sometime.

• Upvote 1

I have a masterbuilt too but propane version. There are a million modifications out there for it so if you wanna upgrade it just google search and you'll be fine

youre making backyard BBQ and just starting, thst unit is more than fine to get you on your feet 

The pre seasoning directions I followed called for a half a cup of wood chips for the last 45 minutes of the 3-hour burn time. The half a cup only seem to smoke for 20 minutes or so, it wasn't very much wood at all. Barely if covered the bottom of the burn bowl. Is that all you're really supposed to put in there at a time, like I've read never no more than a half a cup?

I've been using a Masterbuilt electric smoker for a few years now, and love it.  Here is the thermometer that I bought recently.  Seems really decent quality, and can't beat the price.    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0188XZBMC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm wondering how accurate or inaccurate your door thermometer is? I plan on getting a dual probe remote one, but for now I just have a digital meat probe.

I woulld not count on the door thermometer...stick the meat probe in there after about 10 hours, and see where you're at. The door thermometer is only gonna tell you the temp inside the smoker, not the internal temp of the meat. I threw a 7.5 lb pork shoulder on at 8:00 pm, and will let it go till 8:00 am tomorrow. 

Edited by El Toro Joe

I woulld not count on the door thermometer...stick the meat probe in there after about 10 hours, and see where you're at. The door thermometer is only gonna tell you the temp inside the smoker, not the internal temp of the meat. I threw a 7.5 lb pork shoulder on at 8:00 pm, and will let it go till 8:00 am tomorrow. 

Yeah I know the door thermometer is just for internal temp. And I will use meat probe to tell when to wrap meat and when it's done. You say you put a pork shoulder in for 12 hrs and let it go? Does that mean you don't have to mess with adding chips or basting? I wanna do a pork but tomorrow.

I'll check on the chips after two hours, and add if needed. After that I'll let it go till the morning...this ain't my first rodeo.

Lol, it is going to be mine. And I was afraid to let it go over night. Do you simple add chips when it stops smoking?