M_Quick

On November 3, 2016 at 6:41 AM, M_Quick said:

It makes sense that the chips would smoke quicker without soaking, but on the other hand wouldn't they burn up quicker?

i've done both ways. Doesn't seem to make much difference. Some people get fancy, and soak them in juice/whiskey ect. I can't tell much difference. I typically add chips every hourish. If I'm using dry chips, i do the same. Once the meat gets up into the 140+ internal temps I quit adding wood, as I believe all the smoke absorption is ready done. 

Edited by oldschoolsdime92
  • Upvote 1

On 11/5/2016 at 9:24 PM, M_Quick said:

I'm wondering how accurate or inaccurate your door thermometer is? I plan on getting a dual probe remote one, but for now I just have a digital meat probe.

I'm not real sure as I just have an internal probe that is hooked to the smoker for remote viewing.  It is typically pretty close for pork butt/shoulder.  For thinner meats, I use the one I linked above.

Looks/sounds like it turned out great!  Good job!

I also agree with oldschools thoughts on wood chips.

Edited by Ron505

2 hours ago, oldschoolsdime92 said:

i've done both ways. Doesn't seem to make much difference. Some people get fancy, and soak them in juice/whiskey ect. I can't tell much difference. I typically add chips every hourish. If I'm using dry chips, i do the same. Once the meat gets up into the 140+ internal temps I quit adding wood, as I believe all the smoke absorption is ready done. 

Thx, I've read/herd anywhere from 2-6 hours of smoke, I did about 3hrs.

1 hour ago, Ron505 said:

I'm not real sure as I just have an internal probe that is hooked to the smoker for remote viewing.  It is typically pretty close for pork butt/shoulder.  For thinner meats, I use the one I linked above.

Looks/sounds like it turned out great!  Good job!

I also agree with oldschools thoughts on wood chips.

yeah turned out well, was a big hit with the kids. And it was just a cheap piece of meat $0.88 lb, can't imagine what fresh from the butcher would be like.,

Yep!  Can't lose with the 3-2-1 method on ribs.  Always turn out great!  Good time of year to pick up smoking meats!!!  We will be smoking almost every weekend from here until the end of the year.

Turned out awesome! Kids all ate seconds, and asked if we could have it for dinner tomorrow! Idk what kind it was, just that it was a big pork but.

e70036afc449ce4c12946ef22c9500cf.jpg&key=0bcbf08e8e66ed6f2e1a5675048a5d0f21452e555557b70434cef6cb589c01b6

Looks great... I see the bone so it should be a Boston. They also have what's called a picnic roast without the bone. Personally, I like the Boston more than the picnic. Best way to know when it's done is to pull a little on the bone... if it slides out super easy, it's done. Enjoy the smoker and try different cuts. It's a lot of fun.

I did ribs yesterday, smoked them for 2 hours between 240-250 then wrapped in foil and cooked for another two and then sauced and cooked for one more hour. Cook turned out great and they were fall off the bone but i needed a better sauce.

15 minutes ago, bowdog said:

I did ribs yesterday, smoked them for 2 hours between 240-250 then wrapped in foil and cooked for another two and then sauced and cooked for one more hour. Cook turned out great and they were fall off the bone but i needed a better sauce.

Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce is the best bottled sauce i've used on ribs

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hellmutt said:

Mmmmm, love me some Famous Dave's Devils Spit BBQ

FUnny enough had Famous Dave's for dinner yesterday and lathered it all with the Wilbur's Revenge. Best part of it all was my $20 burnt ends and ribs combo ended up free because they brought it out when the rest of my family was pretty much done eating

2 hours ago, M_Quick said:

I picked up a small and large Butterball turkey yesterday for $0.99 a lb. I figure I can experiment on the little one and if it don't turn out good the wife can still make the big one the traditional way.

Been looking for deals on turkeys.  Where do you find the deal?  We'll be cooking 3 on the spit this year, and smoke 2 pork loins. 

Turkeys_zpsxkyydyq9.jpeg