M_Quick

I have a new electric smoker on the way. I've always loved smoke fish, & beef brisket. I know that's just a couple of things you can smoke but those are my 2 favorites. I've never smoke anything before, so I'm looking for any tips & advice. Also wondering the best type of wood chips and best place to purchase, that others recommend. I will be trying some of the Weber brand mesquite chips, with a beef shoulder roast to start. My smoker won't be delivered until next Monday, so I'm doing some research and looking for tips from other smokers, thanks

:camping:.

I've got an electric smoker also, and for me the chips work better than the chunks (apple, cherry, hickory). Ribs, Pork Shoulder, Brisket come out great. Low and slow is the way to go. I will do ribs for about 6 hours, brisket or pork shoulder for a minimum of 12 hours...

Brisket...

20160529_085239_zpsqxt9jj2t.jpg

Pork shoulder, ready to be pulled...

6-13%20001_zpsjxl0zt92.jpg

...and Ribs...

20161001_150420_zpsvleekpxj.jpg

• Upvote 3

Tasty looking!

I don't have a real smoker...yet.  Using a kettle grille with the heat on one side and meat opposite side.  I just got a digital meat thermometer with a timer.  Up to now I've been guessing and apparently lucky.

I did a pork loin a week ago.  Marinated it for about 6 hours before hand, and used chunks of hickory.  I cut a pear tree down earlier this year but the wood won't be seasoned and ready 'til next spring.  I'll have some pork butts in the freezer by then, and a decent barrel smoker.  Don't know how pear  wood will work but I'll be finding out.

Later this week I'll be smoking some salmon...either feast like a king or the dogs will eat good, lol!

On 11/1/2016 at 7:27 AM, El Toro Joe said:

I've got an electric smoker also, and for me the chips work better than the chunks (apple, cherry, hickory). Ribs, Pork Shoulder, Brisket come out great. Low and slow is the way to go. I will do ribs for about 6 hours, brisket or pork shoulder for a minimum of 12 hours.....

Thanks for the info and pictures. I've read you need to season the smokers? Is this a one time thing or do you need to do it more often? And how long do you soak the wood chips? I've read anything from a couple hours to 24!

25 minutes ago, Bad324 said:

Seasoning it is a one time deal and as you smoke more it will season more

ive done chips with no soak, an hour soak and several hours and really don't see the difference 

Agreed. I have soaked them, and have used them without soaking. And the smoke comes on quicker, without.

Agreed. I have soaked them, and have used them without soaking. And the smoke comes on quicker, without.

It makes sense that the chips would smoke quicker without soaking, but on the other hand wouldn't they burn up quicker?

16 hours ago, M_Quick said:

Thanks for the info and pictures. I've read you need to season the smokers? Is this a one time thing or do you need to do it more often? And how long do you soak the wood chips? I've read anything from a couple hours to 24!

Season your smoker just the initial time before using to cook and then you are done...I usually do my rubs the night before and let the meat sit 15-20 hours before cooking. As far as my chips i just put them in the water the morning of cooking. I have found that a pork butt is pretty easy piece of meat to start to learn to cook on. I have done chicken also that usually turns out good, one thing i have found though is chicken can get dry if not careful so i use a mister bottle now and mist the chicken with apple juice every couple of hours to keep the moisture.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bowdog said:

Season your smoker just the initial time before using to cook and then you are done...I usually do my rubs the night before and let the meat sit 15-20 hours before cooking. As far as my chips i just put them in the water the morning of cooking. I have found that a pork butt is pretty easy piece of meat to start to learn to cook on. I have done chicken also that usually turns out good, one thing i have found though is chicken can get dry if not careful so i use a mister bottle now and mist the chicken with apple juice every couple of hours to keep the moisture.

Thanks for info. Now i need recommendations on a quality meat thermometer, as well as one for the smoker, as I have read the ones on the doors are not very accurate. Also wondering where's a good/cheap place to buy the wood chips?

I use a basic battery operated portable thermometer...Basically it has a probe that goes into the meat and the other end plugs into the base of the thermometer base, then the base sits there and you can carry thermometer with you if needed...I believe mine works a couple hundred yards from the smoker. The one i have has different meat selection. basically you set it on what meat you have, how you like it cooked and what temp (medium, well etc) and then you just go from there. I purchased at Walmart for around $30, you can also purchase your chips from there or any like store. I have found best results for pork and such is to cook for about 4 hours then I like to wrap in foil and cook another 3-4 depending on the meat, when it comes to smoking everyone has a system they like, you will just need to play around and figure out what works best for you.

10 minutes ago, M_Quick said:

Thanks for info. Now i need recommendations on a quality meat thermometer, as well as one for the smoker, as I have read the ones on the doors are not very accurate. Also wondering where's a good/cheap place to buy the wood chips?

I have a Maverick of some sort that was maybe $50. Has a probe that goes in to the meat and a probe you attach to the grate. Thing works flawlessly

16 minutes ago, M_Quick said:

Thanks for info. Also wondering where's a good/cheap place to buy the wood chips?

Wood chips are pretty inexpensive everywhere. I get mine at The Rodmakers Shop in Strongsville. I'll check the brand when I get home...probably can find them online.

Thanks for all the tips guy's. I'm geeking to get my smoker. And Giant Eagle has pork loin on sale this week! I looked online at wally world for thermometers and chips. They sale a shit load of thermometers online. And the chips are like 2 or 3 lbs bags. How long would a 3 lb bag last, 1 2 or several smokes? I'm hoping they have some apple for the pork, but if not I'll hit up a h/ware store.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/index.html

Even if you don't have this kind of unit there is a crap ton of useful info on this site. Gander Mountain sells smoking supplies. As far as meat goes. Find a nice butcher shop they can provide you with a superior product. Thanksgiving is coming. Get cracking  

image.jpeg

• Upvote 2

I've been using a Masterbuilt electric smoker for a few years now, and love it.  Here is the thermometer that I bought recently.  Seems really decent quality, and can't beat the price.    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0188XZBMC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

10 hours ago, M_Quick said:

The price of the chips at walmart is around the same price that I get them for, that bag will usually last  3-4 times. As far as thermometers go I do have one of the fancy wireless remote ones that I rarely use. The type I like best is just the simple kitchen thermometer. similar to the one that I have linked...

https://www.happychefuniforms.com/thermometer-red-one-size.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw4_DABRC1tuPSpqXjxZwBEiQAhMIp6-oz0CtzUmhSjaNNYA6fo5DRBEjeu5x_fxAY9_m_lLkaAm5I8P8HAQ

Well shit, I was thinking I needed the higher dollar one. To keep from opening the door to check meat temp. Maybe get the remote one and verify temp with a good quality kitchen probe, like the last 2 linked in this thread.

16 hours ago, Al Z. Heimer said:

http://virtualweberbullet.com/index.html

Even if you don't have this kind of unit there is a crap ton of useful info on this site. Gander Mountain sells smoking supplies. As far as meat goes. Find a nice butcher shop they can provide you with a superior product. Thanksgiving is coming. Get cracking  

That website got me started since I had a weber bullet smoker first. IT's an amazing site you should reference often. Loved that thing and smoked some of the best stuff I made but was a ton of work so I ended up with my current propane one

14 hours ago, M_Quick said:

I think that's exactly the one I have had for 5 years. love it. The door mounted ones are not to be trusted. Mine reads 30-40* higher than actual

Edited by Bad324