Truck or Trailer?

imagineer

Would you buy a cheap P.O.S. pickup, or a single axle 1500lb - 2000lb capacity trailer?

Here's the deal. Maybe 6 times/year, I need to pick up or deliver something that's too large/heavy to fit in my car. On these occasions, as much as it pains me to do so, I'll borrow my father-in-law's pick up (90's S-10, 2wd). Most of the time, when needing a truck, I'm trying to move a motorcycle, or retrieve plywood, drywall, gravel, mulch, etc.

Despite our constantly taking care of my in-laws, their needs, house and grounds; lately my father-in-law has become an a$$hole about loaning out his beloved truck; and combined that the truck is a piece of crap, makes me really reluctant to ask again.

Since what ever I end up getting will probably sit outside for months untouched, I'm either going to buy a cheap, POS pickup or a new kit trailer. I'm not too keen on having another vehicle to maintain, but I know nothing about light trailer ownership and maintenance.

I drive either an Outback wagon or a Jeep Wrangler and both have class 3 trailer hitches. 

So, you are me, and have a $800 budget, what would you get, a truck or trailer?

For that kind of money, I'd look for a nice used trailer.  POS trucks that you can buy for $800 are gonna be nothing but headaches, especially if it sits outside and unused 95% of the time.  Dead battery, moisture intrusion into the ignition system, rusty drums/rotors, flat/rotten tires, mice in the air filter...or some combination of the above.  Trailers will rust, but it'll be mostly a cosmetic issue for quite a few years.  Tires will dry rot over the course of 5-7 years, but you can slow it down a bit by getting cheap tire covers from HF.  Yearly tags are a bit cheaper, too.

32 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I'll sell you my 5x8' trailer for $800. Already equipped with condor chocks and anchor points. It's a 2000 lb axle with bearing buddies, LED lights and square tube top and ramp. PM me for details and pics if you're interested. 

Are you not providing trailering service any more or did you upgrade?

2 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I'll sell you my 5x8' trailer for $800. Already equipped with condor chocks and anchor points. It's a 2000 lb axle with bearing buddies, LED lights and square tube top and ramp. PM me for details and pics if you're interested. 

Someone better jump on this unless they already have one or a truck.

Also a better bet than your daddy-in-laws S-10.  You know what the "S" in S-10 stands for?

A Sample of a truck.  :D

Edited by Wandering Soul
  • Upvote 1

My utility trailer sits out behind my house 24/7.  Put a few cinder blocks under the wheel springs and throw a couple cheap covers over the wheels and you'll be fine.  Way cheaper than buying an actual vehicle. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

This is a fantastic deal. So much more worth it than a POS truck

Another vote for a trailer.  I bought a high side 6x12 single axle new for $1800, insure it for $30 a year and it can haul pretty much anything.  Plus, basically no maintenance.  I have it set up to haul 3 motorcycles easily if needed.  I only use mine a half a dozen times a year for picking up building materials and firewood.  So far its been a great investment.