Emergent Help/ SW ohio/ stranded rider

NinjaDoc

EMERGENCY 

Dave/ Scorpion ninja just called me on phone. His bike broke down and he is stranded around here. Poor guy is from Michigan and headed back there when this happened. He doesnt have any tools with him either it seems. He is thinking may be a dead battery since its old one 

401 Cherry Blossom Way

Georgetown, KY 40324

His bike is sort of surging and stopping, not sure whats going on. Is there any one from around this area that might be able to help him out? 

His number is 586 817 0879 > he doesnt have txt function. 

Any one from around this area who can help them out? 

Edited by NinjaDoc
  • Upvote 2

Scorpion ninja 

Good to hear you found a way home. If you can charge that battery when you get home do that and meter voltage. After that fire up the bike and check voltage. If voltage drops while running it's not the battery. From there you can meter the voltage at the stator pigtail it should be 40-70 ish no mater which of the three wires you check. If all checks out its pointing to the rec/reg You may already know that stuff but if not I hope it helps. Those 650's are pretty solid and don't usually let you down. Have a safe trip home. 

• Upvote 2

Were home. We got home at about 2AM. Wednesday morning!!! :(

Work sucked, running on a TIRED 3 hours sleep.

All the AWESOMENESS from the first 4 days, was 99% SUCKED AWAY after yesterday/night!

Thanks Nivin,Tim,Jim for lending me a hand!

I met some Awesome folks in KY, that helped me out to get my bike home!

After Jim & TIm left, I rode I-75 towards the #182 Exit trying to limp it to the Kawasaki Dealer.

We made it to I-75 Exit #154 when the issues kept getting worse and more OFTEN! Pulled into a Shell gas station!

While dawns battery was getting low trying to find nearby shit/help on Goggle/interwebs, a Lady offered to give me a lift.

She drove me to a U-haul place, but when we got there it was out of business. Got 411 from a local person of a storage place further up the road.

She dropped me off there. Then they ONLY had a 24' truck. Lady felt bad for me and wasnt gonna RAPE me renting a huge truck for just a motorcycle. So she called a friend/dude that owned a Rental place off Exit #166 I-75. She told me to drive the 24' U-haul beast to Kevin and he will swap with his fleet and get me a 14' truck instead!

Got the keys, drove to a nearby Walmart, bought some Ratchet straps for $12. Drove to Kevins rental place, swapped trucks.

Went back to pick up dawn and my bike. Kept in touch with her to make sure she was ok.

Everything worked out, cost me ALOT MORE then what my budget for this trip was for, but oh well.

Thats life!

Well hope to see yall soon next season's rides!!!

On 10/19/2016 at 7:02 PM, Scorpion-Ninja said:

and the Ninja . . . dropped it off at my local Kawasaki Dealer! They have done me right so far in the past fixes! They havent looked at it yet, as they are booked with ATV, 4x4 shit being Michigan Fall/Hunting season rolling out!

If you have a good dealer/mechanic, then they'll tell you for sure, but it sounds like it could be the stator. I only say that because it's a known weak point with those engines. Lots of people have had stators burn up and mine crapped out on the way home from MotoGP last year and left me alongside I-70 with mosquitoes sucking my blood while I waited for roadside assistance to scare up a tow truck on a Sunday night. Glad you made it home and good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the bike back from the dealer last Monday 10/31. The bike did not do what it was doing to us on that eventful trip!

Battery is good, stat/ref check out, fuel pump is good, etc, etc blah!

I guess bad gas? I dunno wtf at this point!

When Tim and Tonik came to lend a hand, I rode the bike and followed tonik for a short ride down the road and back. bike seemed fine!

2 different techs at the dealer took my bike out for 30min rides. Both said bike ran fine, no surging or engine dying at all, etc.

Same for when I rode my bike home from the dealer last week. SAME for a short ride yesterday AND then TODAY again . . . bike runs, idles, shifts, etc just fine man!!!

So... I wonder if the problem is due to when my GF is on the back. Along with the fully loaded bike, if were just too fucking HEAVY for the engine to handle? Causing it to die out n shit? Clutch doesnt slip and shifts fine, but would it be just simply all that weight on the bike???

(We rode with the same weight/cargo n shit last Fall and many times in the past on a long weekend trip up northern michigan Tunnel of Trees and never has the bike behaved like it did on that Monday +Tuesday on this Deals Gap trip!)

Been trying to get dawn on board with the idea of us NEEDING a NEW BIKE, like the Versys 1000LT.

Then Trade mine in. lol

I've never heard of a bike stalling or cutting out from overloading it.  Possibly bad fuel...?...but I'd check out your connections at the relay, battery, grounds, fuse block, etc to be sure they're clean and solid.  Years ago I failed to double check my battery terminals after the winter hibernation and had a corroded connection stall my ninja on a ride, so it's well worth the time to go over things.  Dealers typically wont dig into a fix if they can't duplicate the problem, they may just chalk it up as operator error and send you home.  Glad to hear you made it home ok, and hopefully the bike stays sorted out.

I checked everything that I could think of and such, not that I'm a mechanic or shit.

Checked the air filter (maybe a bunch of LEAVES got sucked into the airbox and were blocking the filter? Nope.

Checked the connections on the fuel pump and other varies things. All connectors are snapped and together like they should. I did NOT notice any bad wiring, chewed up wires or stuff like that. All fuses on the bike are fine!

Battery terminals are clean (as they always have been) and tight, nothing loose, etc. I even checked the ECU wire plug-in. its like a 50-pin plug. Its all plugged in and correct. (Thought maybe it vibrated loose? As was the case for ONE ninja650 owner on the Ninja 650R Forums I read about).

I even took the gas tank off the bike and removed the fuel pump itself to check the very bottom if a bunch of crud was being sucked onto the fuel pump possibly restricting fuel slow. Nope! :(

One thing I did notice (I mentioned earlier) is I noticed Monday evening at the hotel, as I was lubing my chain. The chain was pretty TIGHT. I adjusted the slack to 1.2" (1.4" max loose slack spec) days b4 the trip.

So wtf would it "Tighten" during our 1,400 miles instead of loosen? So maybe the chain was binding up too much causing the motor to just die? Chain only has 5,000 or so miles on it.  I usually get 10-15k miles out of a chain. I have lubed it often as I normally do 300-400 miles as in the past. Seems to be 1 or 2 kinked links, but not real bad. Sprockets look good, no sharp teeth or badly worn teeth. At this time of the year, I'll get a new chain/sprocket set (Driven Racing this time) next spring when I have the extra money! I've been using Sunstar steel sprockets and some cheapo $50 520 chains off Jakewilson.com :)

Damn it man, put a battery in it.  Everyone that saw and heard that bike said put a battery in it. If I recall correctly it is 7 years old.  These kind of gremlins on FI bikes are always the battery.  If it isn't the battery, then it's the battery.

Battery can test fine but be bad. Case in point - battery on my track bike when I bought it tested fine but would not hold a charge. Also, a hot battery is a pissed off battery. A 30 minute test ride isn't going to create the same conditions as a 1500 mile twisty-filled 2-up jaunt through hillbilly land. 

Another thing - I was having issues with my Triumph last year just randomly shutting off while riding and then refusing to turn back on for 2-5 minutes (random), then it would start right up light nothing was ever wrong after resetting all of the dash/ecu/etc. This only happened when the bike had been out for a few hours, usually towards the end of a ride. It really got pissed off at me when I took it for a track day, I wasn't sure I was going to get home (was a dum-dum and rode the bike to the track). People said bad battery, bad battery. I was hesitant, because it still ran but I bought a new battery. 

No issues at all after installing the new battery. If it isn't your battery, it's probably gonna be expensive. 

Edited by what

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

If your battery is original, you should change it before it leaves you stranded. 

Again. 

Dont buy a cheap battery, either. I don't care who tells you it doesn't matter. They're wrong. Buy a OEM spec Yuasa. 

Cheap is NOT good; true.  And I've no idea what you all use in your bikes, but I've found in both my bikes that a good AGM battery is best bang for the buck,  My Bastard Panhead has a generator, which is an antique pain in the ass.  Even with it, I got 6 years out of the AGM battery with no problems.  It still worked in a friend's old bike for another year after I took the pan off the road.