Back into Riding

Sday

Didn't ride for many years. I feel like a novice...

Moved to SC for work and bought a bike and now back in Ohio. Looking forward to finding others to ride with. 

East of Cincinnati in Brown County. 

Steve

20160925_102438.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the welcome.

I like Ohio but was looking forward to no real winter weather. At least it is nice this week... 

I live in Sardinia, pretty close to Mt Orab!

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Casper said:

Welcome. Most of us want to get out of Ohio. This website helps keep your sanity though during the winter. 

I think that's overstating it a LITTLE.

Ohio has a lot going for it.

- we get all 4 seasons, which I think makes us appreciate nice weather a bit more

- low cost of living.  Even in Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and other "down town" areas

- with that said, there is also a good mix of suburban and 'country' living options if you want acreage, or more Trump/Pence signs in your life. I believe this is why Ohio accurately predicts presidential elections.  We're like a miniature Untied States.

- lots of professional and college sports teams

- Mid-Ohio, Nelson Ledges, PIRC, Indanapolis Motor Speedway are all within realistic driving distance.

- did I mention cost of living?   Friends of ours in Virginia (DC area) are about to pay more than double what we paid for a smaller house and a nothing yard.  My house is 20 years older, so theirs is more up-to-date inside, but even if I factor in $50k worth of remodeling on my house, we're still making out by $150,000 or more.  Yes, they make more money than my wife and I do in Ohio, but they don't make DOUBLE what we do.  The property costs increase disproportionately to income.

- we're relatively insulated from natural disasters.  Yes, we get a crazy blizzard every 15 years or so, but tell me the last time Ohio was decimated by a hurricane or an earthquake.  Tornadoes are certainly possible, but not like they are in the plains states. 

- Few poisonous spiders, etc.

• Upvote 2

You sure are a glass half full kinda guy. :)

- we get all 4 seasons, which I think makes us appreciate nice weather a bit more

I'd rather have 3 or less at this point. Spring, Summer, and Fall are great. The older I get, the more winter sucks. 

- low cost of living.  Even in Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and other "down town" areas

Have you seen the price of a 2bdr condo in downtown Columbus? Yes, our cost of living has been great, but it's skyrocketing quickly. 

- with that said, there is also a good mix of suburban and 'country' living options if you want acreage, or more Trump/Pence signs in your life. I believe this is why Ohio accurately predicts presidential elections.  We're like a miniature Untied States.

I can't think of a state that doesn't have this same quality. Maybe Maryland? 

- lots of professional and college sports teams

I'm not so sure I'd use our sports teams as a positive for Ohio. Sure some are doing exceptionally well this year, but that's the problem; this year is the exception. Our sports teams generally suck. 

- Mid-Ohio, Nelson Ledges, PIRC, Indanapolis Motor Speedway are all within realistic driving distance

There are many tracks in warmer states. 

- did I mention cost of living?   Friends of ours in Virginia (DC area) are about to pay more than double what we paid for a smaller house and a nothing yard.  My house is 20 years older, so theirs is more up-to-date inside, but even if I factor in $50k worth of remodeling on my house, we're still making out by $150,000 or more.  Yes, they make more money than my wife and I do in Ohio, but they don't make DOUBLE what we do.  The property costs increase disproportionately to income.

Of course DC costs a metric shit ton more than Ohio. 

- we're relatively insulated from natural disasters.  Yes, we get a crazy blizzard every 15 years or so, but tell me the last time Ohio was decimated by a hurricane or an earthquake.  Tornadoes are certainly possible, but not like they are in the plains states. 

Several places can claim this as well that are warmer. Like Georgia, Tennessee, western North/South Carolina, etc...

- Few poisonous spiders, etc

Fuck spiders. 

14 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

The real reason we live here. Honestly though, i don't see myself living anywhere else. Ohio has a little bit of everything.

I've lived here my whole life. If we took away the cold/snow/salt of winter I'd love it. Ever been to Austin, TX?

You can complain about anything.

If you're convinced housing is "skyrocketing" in downtown Columbus, get a couple of friends together and invest in (rental?) property.

Sports teams are a draw.  Cleveland has 2 championship teams, and one in the World Series starting tonight.  I'm not a Buckeyes fan, but they are a perennial competitor. I have nothing against the Reds unless they're playing the Indians.  The Bengals are currently leading the division, and Dalton is on my fantasy team, putting up 20+ points a game.  They look like a playoff team.  maybe even more than 1 game this year!   If all that doesn't net 'a positive' for you, then you just don't like sports.

Of course Ohio winters suck, but we're not getting Minnesota-like freezes, and blizzards are relatively infrequent.  As noted, I think that makes spring that much more of an event.  Move south, if you'd like, and enjoy the additional tornadoes!

43 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

You can complain about anything.

If you're convinced housing is "skyrocketing" in downtown Columbus, get a couple of friends together and invest in (rental?) property.

Sports teams are a draw.  Cleveland has 2 championship teams, and one in the World Series starting tonight.  I'm not a Buckeyes fan, but they are a perennial competitor. I have nothing against the Reds unless they're playing the Indians.  The Bengals are currently leading the division, and Dalton is on my fantasy team, putting up 20+ points a game.  They look like a playoff team.  maybe even more than 1 game this year!   If all that doesn't net 'a positive' for you, then you just don't like sports.

Of course Ohio winters suck, but we're not getting Minnesota-like freezes, and blizzards are relatively infrequent.  As noted, I think that makes spring that much more of an event.  Move south, if you'd like, and enjoy the additional tornadoes!

Motorcycles > sportsball :D 

2 hours ago, redkow97 said:

The Bengals are currently leading the division, and Dalton is on my fantasy team, putting up 20+ points a game.  They look like a playoff team.  maybe even more than 1 game this year!  

Umm. Bengals are current 3rd in the division. Above only the Browns. Steelers have a full game on them and a win over them this season. Ravens currently have the same record.

However I do enjoy the sports, mostly football. I enjoy all four seasons, though would prefer if late fall early winter came with more daylight. 

But ofcourse what motorcyclists would not want a few more days a year of great riding.