Looking for new career path...

GixxerTravis

Well ok...what do you do (besides motorcycles) for a hobby?  Can you make money from it?  is there a demand or market?  Maybe a planner for home/commercial builders?

Go here:  http://www.linkedin.com/

Look around for companies in an area that interests you/  Just for ideas.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wandering Soul said:

Sell building material?  Not Lowes' or Homo Depot...some major wholesale distributor.  You're familiar with trade tools; Grainger or the like as a counterman, then look to outside sales.

I disagree with your logic on not working for Lowes or the orange box. I do work for Lowes as an exterior sales associate. In home sales for building materials. GREAT job. If you work in the store the pro desk is where you want to be. Some of the best networking happens at the pro desk. You will meet a ton of contractors and possibly your next career with a builder/general contractor. You may have said and I didn't read it but where are you located? A lot of the "counter" salesman make shit money anyhow. I wouldn't go that route if I were you. 

Home Depot outside sales reps statistically earn over $50k a year according to the google.  Although that was just a quick search result with no particular demographic or experience level included, so I don't know what kind of starting salary that would actually be.  Guess it depends on WHAT Travis wants to sell, and which niche of the market he intends to target.  

Inside sales in my local Lowes' seems to have a big turn-over.  I'm opposed to working somewhere for six months or less, showing up for work one day to be told "We don't need you anymore".

I've no idea about outside sales at Lowes' or such; true.  But from what I've seen of sales anywhere, you go big or go home...to starve.  The salespeople I've interacted with spend a lot of time developing relations with different purchasing departments, shop owners/managers, distributors of their own product.  Huge amount of time actually; away from family on the road staying in hotels, eating fast food.  Only to have potential customers stand them up or buy from a competitor.  I'd have to have the prospect of a six figure income to jump through those hoops.

I don't mean to discourage the OP.  Some people love it, work like madmen and do quite well at it.  It gets to be a question of balance of your own life vs. making that next big commission.

Not sure how old you are or why you want a less labor intensive job or the scenario. My job can be laborious but the pay makes it worth it. Starting out you can make close to 100k a year and it just goes up from there. I build power lines and sometimes it is a lot of work sometimes not so much. Also not sure if you can operate equipment or not but that's less laborious and you can still make good money in the Powerline field by running equipment such as bulldozers backhoes loaders and boom trucks. They aren't hard to learn how to operate either. If you can get crane certified 200k a year isn't very hard to reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

On 10/11/2016 at 10:16 PM, GixxerTravis said:

I'll look into outside sales a bit.  I couldn't imagine working in a store like Lowes etc... I'd go mad

I've thought about driving for Uber on the side, wonder if anyone has experience with that?

My supervisor did Uber during the RNC.  That gives you some idea of how we're compensated... 

Uber can make you a reasonable amount of money, but the wear on your vehicle is definitely something to consider.  I'm not familiar enough with the Galion area to tell you whether or not there is enough demand to make Uber a job.  What you want is the "surge" rate.  That is where you make real money.  That also means you're going to be driving people home from large events.  People tend to drink at large events.  It's not a cakewalk job, but run the numbers or just give it a try.  You can "quit" easily enough by not opening the app...  You just need a qualifying vehicle and a few driver references. 

It would certainly be supplemental income while you figure something else out.

Since you have worked construction I was going to suggest either construction management or safety coordinator on large projects.I took a look at your profile and I noticed you are 23.At 23 the possibilities are limitless!Take a hard look at what you like to do, maybe get some assessment for career training.Move if you have to,but don't just settle.If you don't like what you do for a living it's going to be a long shitty trip,I don't care how much money you make.Don't rule out school,there's over 300 million people in this country,you need to set yourself apart with skills or education.You might very well be able to get financial help with school because of your accident.Train hard,work hard,keep a good attitude,help others and go for what you want.

I'm looking at this from the opposite side of the career path...I'm 56 and will be retiring in about three years.I know you can't imagine 56 from where you are now,but believe me it gets here A LOT faster than you think.Make some good decisions now and you can have a very good life in this country.Good luck!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2016 at 9:10 AM, BadTrainDriver said:

Air Traffic Controller.

My brother was an ATC in the Air Force. When he got out, no one would hire him because he didn't have some type of degree! Sometimes when he applied for low level jobs, he was told he was over-qualified. The world is a strange place.

On 10/31/2016 at 9:10 AM, BadTrainDriver said:

Air Traffic Controller.

I actually applied through the government for ATC, never heard back

On 10/30/2016 at 7:52 PM, snot said:

Ever talk with a career counselor?

And I'm not quite sure what a career counselor is... haha

On October 11, 2016 at 10:16 PM, GixxerTravis said:

I'll look into outside sales a bit.  I couldn't imagine working in a store like Lowes etc... I'd go mad

I've thought about driving for Uber on the side, wonder if anyone has experience with that?

you like to drive? Get your CDL.. drive a semi. Its not all that hard to get your CDL. If you don't want to go the semi route, get your Class B and just stick to dump trucks. 

On 11/7/2016 at 5:26 PM, Bad324 said:

Property Management companies love people with construction background. I did that for a year after the construction company I worked at before closed up shop

My aunt does that! She's been on me about an opening for leasing consultant opening they have.. it just has crappy pay. hah

16 hours ago, GixxerTravis said:

My aunt does that! She's been on me about an opening for leasing consultant opening they have.. it just has crappy pay. hah

yea I left the place I was at because the owners and upper level management were all assholes that paid shitty. I was recruited by their competitor that paid better but ended up at my current place because it was still more money and a way better commute

Edited by Bad324