K&N filter failures

RHill

I think it was nut weld, but Derek did not detail. For the record I was not present, only talked to him after the incident and dig up this thread... seems like they have a serious problem on their hands.

Edited by whaler

19 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

I believe it's the nut weld I didn't really investigate 100% yet but I will when I get home

Yes let us know because ive been running these for tens of thousands of miles. Also was this recently installed or was there some mileage on it?

On 10/8/2016 at 10:31 PM, Casper said:

Weird. I've used K&N oil filters exclusively for over ten years. Now you all have me worried. 

I use the Purolator, but didn't know they changed the design. Still have some to use up, I bought them on Amazon as a six pack from the factory. Any of the recommended from that calsci list should work fine. I will avoid K&N now, I tried and didn't like their air filters either. And yes, everything Fram is terrible.

50 minutes ago, whaler said:

@DerekClouser K&N filter failed at a track day today. Split and coated the track.

And me, and my bike. My shorts got some stuff in them too.

45 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

What capacity was the failure? Gasket? Nut weld?

The nut for sure, probably the weld.

I've been using K&N for years without problems. Just lucky I guess.  Just ordered up some WIX after reading this & doing a little googling.  Glad the failure today didn't cause anybody eat the assfault. Hope you didn't sustain any engine damage Derek.

12 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Wonder if the failures follow a certain model number. Mine takes a 303 I would guess his gixxer takes maybe a 138.

This failure seems to not follow any model types. Appears to be a bad manufacturing process.

Edited by whaler

1 minute ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Are you goons using the nut to tighten the filter? I've been using these for more than a decade on all of my bikes without a single failure. 

No, it was done at my place in the early summer. Probably 3000 miles on it. With that being said, what is the purpose of the nut? It should take the torque as required by the manufacturer and why would a company supply and market on the fact that you can just use a 17mm socket to put on and remove.

44 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Are you goons using the nut to tighten the filter? I've been using these for more than a decade on all of my bikes without a single failure. 

No, for example Derek's was put on hand tight.  As it should.

Yea I've always used the nut to install and remove, BECAUSE my bike has little to no clearance to get your fingers or a filer wrench on the side. Currently have a WIX on my bike (because parts store was out of the KN) and had to dent it to get it on. Hard to explain unless you see it but you cant get any grip on it so the nut is nice. 

10 minutes ago, Wolfman1 said:

Always used the OEM filter and never had any issues.  Sure I pay a little more, but you get what you pay for and sometimes the end result is much more costly.

Kawasaki changed thier filters a couple years ago. Went to order one and the part number changed. Compared the new to the old and the new one felt thinner and lighter. Looking inside the bypass valve was plastic on the new part number one. On the side the old one said made in Japan the new one said made in Taiwan. And the price went up $.50.

So I refuse to buy the Kawi oem filters now.

3 hours ago, what said:

To elaborate a bit more, the failure was along the dotted red line on the bottom of the nut. Here's a handy dandy image I made:

KNFailure.jpg

The failure is in the same spot every time. On the VFR forum, just had another guy go down cause of oil dripping out the cracked out area...... This is a class action law suit in the making... 

I always just hand tighten my filters.  I've never used a K&N Oil filter before and this will be my last. I'm still hopeful no damage was done to the motor.   

This is the result of it failing on the back stretch of Mid-Ohio at 12K RPM at ~140mph. 

Edited by DerekClouser

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

Keep the filter and the video and the records.  They are most certainly responsible for any damage.

A guy in the UK had this exact same failure happen to him and it caused some pretty serious damage to his engine. K&N ended up paying for the repairs but he had to pester them for a while. If there is damage, hound them about it. Dig up purchase records, keep all evidence, etc. They HAVE been paying out and they have known about this problem for years. 

• Upvote 1