K&N filter failures

RHill

I have a couple that are going in the trash....this one wasn't on my bike(and not my video), but it still nearly caused me to lose the front end through T7.  I've been hearing about these things failing more and more.  Don't risk it, don't ride with a K&N filter, on the track or on the street.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, what said:

so he did dump shit all down the back straight into t7?

don't think "all down the back straight" applies here, but there was definetly something that caused this:

Well I used to use only OEM filters on my bike but then Kawi went cheap and started having them made in China and the quality went to shit. Been using K&N ever since no problems in 20k miles. Should I look into other options? I refuse to use the fram tin cans.

Edited by 2talltim

29 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Well I used to use only OEM filters on my bike but then Kawi went cheap and started having them made in China and the quality went to shit. Been using K&N ever since no problems in 20k miles. Should I look into other options? I refuse to use the fram tin cans.

I've mostly used OEM, zuki's but picked up a few K&N's awhile back....may have even been before the issues arose.  In any case, after everything I've heard + this, I'm not using them.  IDK what exactly caused the guys issue...for all I know it could have been not safety wired and backed off because it was only finger tight or some other stupid human error, but it just isn't worth the risk if there is a miniscule chance it is a faulty oring design on the filter

15 minutes ago, blue03636 said:

was it double oringed? I have used k&n for the last 10 years.

Think if it was doubled up it wouldn't have made it 75% of the way through the twilight, can't say for sure because I didn't look at it after.  There is this too:

I'm pretty sure CCS and Wera have banned them.

if that's true, I'd guess there would be talk of it on their boards.

interesting... I've used them for 10ish year myself with no faults or issues.. all my track bikes have gotten them (albeit always safety wired) but zero failures.

I have heard of a few people  accidently  doubling the oring... but it wasn't a manufacture issue it was them pulling the old filter off the  o ring staying in plac on the case then just tossing on the new filter with out wiping down the  case, seating position...  this is a  installation issue not a KN issue to me

• Upvote 1

I doubt it is doubling up, because only an asshole/idiot would blame the filter if it was doubled up. 

I've literally heard about K&N oil filter issues just about every trackday for the past 6 months, didn't really put any thought into it, then this happened.

IDK, I'm fine w switching brands, no real loss.  Post up on youtube and question the dude.

33 minutes ago, whaler said:

Have never seen an OEM filter that was shit.  The few bucks difference in cost just doesn't add up compared to this type of failure.

The ones for my bike had a part number change from Kawi. When I got the first one with the new part number it felt lighter and looking at the filter media on the inside it looked thiner and less corrugations. That's when I noticed on the side "made in china", the old part number one I took off the bike that day said "made in Japan". But they still charged the same price.

I another note the K&N I buy say "made in mexico" but they do seem a better quality

Edited by 2talltim

I just bought (2) of these to put on the SV.  One of the guys I spoke with last time at MidOh wasn't running his S1000RR because the nut on the end of filter was pulling on the cap and causing some weeping, totally different failure mode than the one being discussed.

51f8oeCSLSL.jpg

I used Purolators before and was happy with them until they quit making them.  This is my first time trying Hifiltro's and filters w/ the nut on the end.  Should I be worried?  I figure most of these filters are coming off nearly identical manufacturing lines.

Edited by Trackbikez

hose clamp FTW, really easy to reuse and get great pre-tension every time

agree about not using the nut to tighten or wire the filter.  Always found it easier to throw a strap wrench over the filter to loosen/snug the new filter.

would really like to see how these have failed....quick google search brought up failures around the nut and sliced o-ring

On the VFR forums/threads, its an over discussed topic on how the spot welds on the K&N nut on the end of the filter fatigue and create a leak.... No chance I'm using one of those...

And a btw - here's a good chart on oil filter alternatives

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

Cheers and beers....

Edited by mello dude

• 10 months later...