I'm Back...

ScubaCinci

Not that anyone missed me but I was in the Caymans doing some diving for a few weeks. Luckily, Matthew turned north and missed the Caymans or it may have been ugly. We were on a live aboad dive boat for 10 days so depending on where we were, our shelter may have been limited. Anyway, it's always fantastic diving there and I thought I'd share some pics and vids from the trip.

The reefs there are protected and it's a very popular diving destination so the wildlife there is very used to having divers in the water. Some even like interacting with them. There are several large groupers there that follow divers around like a dog and like to be petted. This is one of them (I think they named him Freddie)...

There was also a nurse shark that they call FINS (friendly inquisitive nurse shark) that is very friendly as well. I was able to pet it a few times...it's very surreal. Here is a video another diver shot of FINS scaring the shit out of another diver who didn't know it was there.

This is a shot of Bloody bay wall off of Little Cayman. The top of the wall is about 40 feet and then it drops straight off for thousands of feet after that.

GOPR1468.JPG

Here is me hanging out near one of the wrecks...

Joe.jpg

One of the many swimthroughs around the islands...most are might tighter and longer than this.

GOPR1533.JPG

One of the friendly turtles that comes right up to you.

GOPR1365.JPG

All of the stills and the first video were taken with my GoPro. I have a bunch more video and will be doing a compilation on Youtube when I have the time.

GOPR1354.JPG

• Upvote 3

Just now, ScubaCinci said:

I didn't know you were a diver.

I am not anymore.  Used to be hardcore.  Cold water, deep diving, dry suits, wreck penetration, you name it.  Certified up to Rescue Diving and was close to getting instructor.  One day I got tired and seriously over heated on a dive. Aborted, np and surface swam back.  Scared me bad though and I lost the edge.  Tried hard to get it back, got lots of help from people that had been through it. But I simply can't go down anymore without being on the edge of panic, and as you know starting out like that and having something simple go wrong will push you over the edge and then you die.

Similar to how people are on bikes...one close call and they hang it up. I get it. I have my advanced cert and my wife is a master diver but we don't do anything but recreational dives. The only wrecks we do are the ones sunk for reefs and generally we don't penetrate unless it's pretty wide open. That's one of the reasons I like the Caymans...water is warm, clear, very little (if any) current, lots to see, and navigation is relatively simple. We are seriously considering moving there in 10 years.

We are going to Raja Ampat in Indonesia in Feb for a 3 week trip. We are going to spend some time in Bali on the way out and stay a few days in Dubai on the way back.

That wall is pretty sweet. Would love to be able to see that. 

But I tried diving in a swimming pool once and it just wasn't for me. Just couldn't get used to the breathing. And the idea of not being able to stand up or just swim up in one breath freaked me out. 

I was a diver for the local VFD and most everything was zero visibility in rivers. I did a lot of diving in a couple local lakes that were fairly clear but the most fun I had was at Portage Quarry in Bowling Green. Needless to say I was never deeper than 50-60 feet.

Never could swing it but always was interested in the Cozumel trips or just a trip to Florida, about ten years back I gave all my equipment to a young guy making his way thru the ranks at the same fire dept.

BTW, nice pics and vids.

11 hours ago, bandit12 said:

I was a diver for the local VFD and most everything was zero visibility in rivers. I did a lot of diving in a couple local lakes that were fairly clear but the most fun I had was at Portage Quarry in Bowling Green. Needless to say I was never deeper than 50-60 feet.

Never could swing it but always was interested in the Cozumel trips or just a trip to Florida, about ten years back I gave all my equipment to a young guy making his way thru the ranks at the same fire dept.

BTW, nice pics and vids.

I couldn't do those zero vis dives...I've been all over the world diving and the Caymans are tops on my list - Little Cayman especially.

If you are asking me, no, I'm not an instructor. I have several friends that are though.

Yeah it's on my todo list to get certified just have other things that jump it cause my wife won't do it. We tried it while we were in the Dominican and I loved it she freaked out and won't ever do it again lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/7/2016 at 11:25 AM, ScubaCinci said:

I couldn't do those zero vis dives...I've been all over the world diving and the Caymans are tops on my list - Little Cayman especially.

I was no expert but I will say the zero vis dives will mess with you, I learned to use the force so to speak. Just close your eyes and relax or you will start seeing things because you are concentrating so hard on a certain object.