MotoAmerica at PIRC in 2017!

redkow97

13 hours ago, redkow97 said:

Okay, I'm looking at aerial photos.  They need bridges to the infields for camping space.

Yah I wouldn't put that past them! I've always thought the spectating opportunities were pretty limited at the old Beav. Guessing maybe better with the new south addition, but it's no MidOhio.

20 minutes ago, i-Zapp said:

Yah I wouldn't put that past them! I've always thought the spectating opportunities were pretty limited at the old Beav. Guessing maybe better with the new south addition, but it's no MidOhio.

When they were coming around to do surveys during a trackday, we said about a bridge to the infield for more spectator spots.  There isn't a terrible amount of room on the infield and there is a lot of elevation change, but a bridge across the front straight to get into the old T5-8 region would be sweet.

12 minutes ago, Jester_ said:

we can also do pit bike races

Now you have done it....

the problem with a bridge to the infield is that it creates the need for so much more fencing to keep morons off the track.
  the bridge might end up being a smaller project than idiot-proofing the infield.

I'd be down for camping and pit bike shenanigans.  Are these knobby grass/trail shenanigans, or DOT flat-track shenanigans?

I'm definitely in for this.

If they want to make this a successful event, they really need to reconsider the whole camping thing. They have tons of areas you could camp, and ample parking. I would imagine for an event this size they may shut down the kart track for extra garages for the teams. Plus they have the huge "vehicle dynamics pad" that could offer parking/camping. 

Oh, and Eddie better bring a lot of wieners. Hoping they would bring in a few more food/drink vendors for the weekend. 

9 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

the problem with a bridge to the infield is that it creates the need for so much more fencing to keep morons off the track.
  the bridge might end up being a smaller project than idiot-proofing the infield.

They don't even need to allow access to the entire infield. The infield is pretty narrow, but a bridge to the old T5/T6 hill on the infield with some grandstands would  be awesome. You could see down most of the old "North" Track and a good portion of the new track as well. 

• Upvote 2

Something like this would add a ton of field of view of the track...pretty much all of the north track besides the carousel, and a good portion of the south, because it is a high elevation.

infield bridge.jpg

Here, I'm really good at technical drawings so I made this up. 

Red line is the "T1 Bridge". Sell naming rights to some sponsor to cover the cost. Gray line is fence, and black lines are grandstands. It would be awesome. There's a road up to "Spectator Hill" now. Camping/parking along the hill in that area? All the other areas in yellow are possible camping areas as well. 

Now someone submit this to PIRC and tell them we'll need it done by August. 

PittRace.png

Edited by TRMN8TR

I like where your heads are at, and I had the same thought with the runoff in T1.

The only problem I foresee with putting a bridge beyond start/finish is that it may block the spectator view of the braking zone from along the paddock fence.  That would kind of suck.

I'm not sure whether or not I agree that they have "tons of camping area."  On the one hand, 99% of dome tents can be set up on the skid pad with no stakes.  On the other hand, if there's a light breeze, everything goes flying away.  they need level grass areas that are 15 x 40' to park a car and put a tent or two there.  Or if grass space is REALLY at a premium, require parking on the asphalt, and make the spaces 20x20' and don't allow cars in the camping area.

As I noted earlier, security is a huge expense when you factor in camping.  Anyone who has camped at Mid Ohio knows all about that.  Eliminating vehicle traffic from the camping area would be a good start, but packing a large number of people into a tight space invites some issues.

I was serious when I said I would volunteer to help with the logistics.  I'd go out and measure/paint RV parking spots, survey camp sites, etc. for free if it meant we could stay at the track for 3 days straight.

Didn't really think about the view of T1... make it a few steps up from the paddock (so it is overhead & out of the line of sight when in the paddock) and it would be like Road Atlanta's pedestrian bridge.  It would be a good climb down into the infield.  Some pretty good advertising space 

ama-road-atlanta-2008-front-straight.jpg

20 hours ago, TRMN8TR said:

Now someone submit this to PIRC and tell them we'll need it done by August. 

With how the new owner has been attacking the upgrade of the old Beav I wouldn't be surprised if it's already on paper.