Best motorcycle insurance

Blitz

Hey all,

Looking into switching motorcycle insurance to cover my two bikes. I've had Liberty Mutual, and while they have been sufficient, their claims process was anything other than speedy.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Any suggestion should come from having at least one claim experience from the company, as I find that process really shows the true colors of the insurance provider.

Thanks in advance. I'm sure your answers will be helpful.

Had Geico for a while and had one claim that they handled really well. It wasn't my fault but they paid me and went after the other guys insurance to get paid back and won. Later on i revived a check from the other insurance company for my deductible. I shopped around a couple year later and found Riders to be cheaper and switched. And like many others found they wanted to jack my premium after just one year with no reason. Shopped around again and went with Progressive for a couple years then they did the same thing, jacked my rate for no reason at all. No tickets, no claims, nothing. So again I was back in the market, and ended up back with Geico. I pay $380 a year for full coverage on 2 bikes and 2 riders and comp on a 4 wheeler.

Edited by 2talltim

The cheapest the bastard in me can get is to switch from esurance to progressive and back every year.  The car is on Geico who annoy me but give the best price  even against all vehicle discount quotes all on the same co.  No claims to change my priority from price to satisfaction

I'm with Cincinnati Insurance.  Have all my vehicles, house, tools and other toys insured with them through an agent.  $1300 a year total, and bike's about $325 a year full coverage and extra medical.  Had 3 claims in 30 years and they pay up well.  Biggest problem is the agency; I've had a few go-rounds with them increasing coverage without consulting with me.  I've found that the agency representing an insurance company deserves to be researched; not all of them are on the up and up.  Over the years I've gotten quotes from other underwriters and none of them beat what I have.  I read where people switch back and forth all the time.  It's hard to build a good working relationship when you don't have a history with them.

Also your credit score can affect your rates.  I went through a bit of tough times about 10 years ago.  I got them to work a bit with me and finally got the rate dropped.

I always shop around from year to year to find the best deals.

One specific issue I had was when IP had this Ducati fuel pump take a shit on him and we were in Caldwell.  He called his insurance (Rider's) for roadside assistance.  They only offered like 7 miles free towing.  Fortunately, someone had premium AAA and we were able to scandal our way to free towing all the way home.  I believe IP switched insurance companies after that.

6 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

I always shop around from year to year to find the best deals.

One specific issue I had was when IP had this Ducati fuel pump take a shit on him and we were in Caldwell.  He called his insurance (Rider's) for roadside assistance.  They only offered like 7 miles free towing.  Fortunately, someone had premium AAA and we were able to scandal our way to free towing all the way home.  I believe IP switched insurance companies after that.

+1 on this. Insurance Roadside Assistance has been sub-par with Geico. AAA or AMA roadside assistance is worth considering.

Just now, Tpoppa said:

State Farm has always been the cheapest for me.  I pay less than $400 total a year for 2 motorcycles...and I've had a "couple" speeding tickets.

State Farm here also.  Decent rates and a local agent I can go scream at if needed.

44 minutes ago, RCBS said:

Is anyone carrying Life Flight/Heli Insurance?  I have considered it after hearing what a ride in the 'choppa costs.  My current insurance will not cover 50% of that ride.

I have Allstate for everything bundled (house, cars, motorcycle), its the cheapest we have found.  Still paying for my helicopter ride after my accident, it cost $27,000 and insurance didn't put a dent in it and most helicopter services are private, so there is no negotiating on the fees like you can with hospitals/doctors. What most don't realize is the medical coverage for yourself is minimal with all of the insurance providers, even at full coverage, it is designed to cover passengers and the other vehicle/passengers involved in the accident.  I found out that my insurance would only cover my medical expenses (the driver) up to $5,000 and that is it.  We asked if this could be raised and the most they offer is $10,000, so of course we raised it to the max as it only cost a few dollars extra a year for this option.  Just surprised as I have full coverage for all automobiles and the motorcycle and still ended up screwed after my accident.  I always thought the major medical you carry on your auto insurance covered everyone including the driver. :nono:

28 minutes ago, Wolfman1 said:

I have Allstate for everything bundled (house, cars, motorcycle), its the cheapest we have found.  Still paying for my helicopter ride after my accident, it cost $27,000 and insurance didn't put a dent in it and most helicopter services are private, so there is no negotiating on the fees like you can with hospitals/doctors. What most don't realize is the medical coverage for yourself is minimal with all of the insurance providers, even at full coverage, it is designed to cover passengers and the other vehicle/passengers involved in the accident.  I found out that my insurance would only cover my medical expenses (the driver) up to $5,000 and that is it.  We asked if this could be raised and the most they offer is $10,000, so of course we raised it to the max as it only cost a few dollars extra a year for this option.  Just surprised as I have full coverage for all automobiles and the motorcycle and still ended up screwed after my accident.  I always thought the major medical you carry on your auto insurance covered everyone including the driver. :nono:

I have heard some horror stories about the chopper rides and what they cost in the past.  Insurance is around $200 year I think, but the flight costs will be fully covered.  I have also heard about the lack of medical for the Driver.  I have a supplement on my policy for my medical...can't remember details, but I'm paying a little more for it and getting much better coverage for myself.  I don't think many people realize that they are "assed out" on their own medical in event of a crash as far as insurance goes.  Most only focus on the policy cost, rather than the details of coverage when shopping.  I would rather be over-insured than under, any day.

On 10/4/2016 at 8:36 PM, whaler said:

Auto/bike insurance is for passengers and objects, your health insurance is what covers you for major medical.

If you have shit insurance and have to deal with network crap, you can get taken to the cleaners.

Med pay can help. I've got my medpay at 10,000 per accident per person. Will more than cover my max out of pocket of 5,500

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2016 at 10:39 AM, RCBS said:

Is anyone carrying Life Flight/Heli Insurance?  I have considered it after hearing what a ride in the 'choppa costs.  My current insurance will not cover 50% of that ride.

The cost of helicopter and several days in the hospital is more than most of us make in 2-3 years... good point worth looking into.

Edited by Chuck78

I had my gear cut off both times. First time all that was cover was my helmet 2nd time all my gear was covered. State Farm for 5 bikes. Medical insurance paid for most of the life flight rides. I did get a cool pair of sun glasses from the first ride. 2nd ride I was knocked out and don't remember a single thing, 

I added an accident policy last year. So in addition to medical, it pays a fixed amount per accident... I figured why not just in case something happens on the bike.

Pays a couple grand for a minor broken bone, more for a major broken bone like a femur. Other things like major burn treatment. Pays an awful lot if you lose a limb, vision, stuff like that. Probably covers 50 different types of injuries and it's dirt cheap.

Worth looking into I would say.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

I turned down the accident policy at work and right after that broke my leg, the next year I passed on it again and the boy broke his ankle, next year I give in and sign up. Crash and break my collar bone. Thinking to myself this is going to pay off. Turns out I crashed in Nov. it didn't start until Jan. Son of a bitch. No accidents last year. 

• Sad 1