Route 555 north of Athens, wow.

i-Zapp

Drove down to OU to visit my son in my wife's new 335i and decided to take the scenic route from Zanesville to Athens using route 555 (the "triple nickel"), and wow what great roads. I've never done Deals Gap, but i can't image it's got anything on 555. Pristine road surface, crazy elevation change in places, no cops, and almost no traffic. Plus beautiful scenery this time of year. We took the road there and back and probably wore 10k off the tires. :)  The only downsides are blind crests, blind turns, and the corner markings are very inconsistent.  But there's def places to wick it up and still be safe. I've pretty much relegated my fast riding to the track, but i'd seriously consider returning with the Ape...

18 minutes ago, what said:

I'm not a huge fan because of all of the hidden drives/driveways. It's a fun road but there are others that I'd choose to ride in Ohio before 555. 

Which ones do you like What?  I've got some vac days to burn before it gets cold. :)

13 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

Must have been some paving done cause that section was really rough. You can't compare TN/NC roads with Ohio roads, they're just vastly different IMO. I like 555, just not my favorite Ohio road.

i did a search for "555" on this forum and got no results, so figured i'd discovered something special. ;)

Must be a search engine limitation. Or, these ride routes are a closely guarded secret, especially based on the replies from everyone on this post "yah, it's good but not my favorite", then no offer to divulge that favorite. not fair.

Some kind gentlemen when he was younger and had more time on his hands started a post that was a sticky to start chronicling all the good roads and routes for newbs and those that hadn't discovered some before. It never really took off like imagined but maybe one day another young chap with time on his hands will come along and add to it

30 minutes ago, i-Zapp said:

i did a search for "555" on this forum and got no results, so figured i'd discovered something special. ;)

Must be a search engine limitation. Or, these ride routes are a closely guarded secret, especially based on the replies from everyone on this post "yah, it's good but not my favorite", then no offer to divulge that favorite. not fair.

If you enjoyed the road you did discover something special!Finding a great "new to you" road is a big part of exploring an area.Sure you can have people tell you about the good stuff,but it's much more fun coming across some road you never heard of and finding a hidden gem that few people ride.

With that being said I could set you up with a nice twisty route from Zanesville that includes the top part of 555.

1 hour ago, i-Zapp said:

I guess I should have shared some of my favorites. 26 from Marietta, 565, 78 West of 77, 377, 144, 329, 775, 141, & 681. I use motorcycleroads.com alot. I just start hitting random roads and usually stumble into something good. I'm spoiled living in SEO, so take my opinion like a grain of salt.

• Upvote 1

I'm with @JustinNck1 in that living in the area, we tend to ride these over and over til they get boring or no longer hold interest. 339 to 821 is a nice stretch. 530 to 60 is nice. 56 out of Athens. 124 out of Pomeroy used to be nice. Not 124 from Hockingport to Pomeroy. That is a complete disaster or was the last time I went out it. 

Just now, thompsonian said:

I'm with @JustinNck1 in that living in the area, we tend to ride these over and over til they get boring or no longer hold interest. 339 to 821 is a nice stretch. 530 to 60 is nice. 56 out of Athens. 124 out of Pomeroy used to be nice. Not 124 from Hockingport to Pomeroy. That is a complete disaster or was the last time I went out it. 

Hockingport to Reedsville got repaved this spring.

On 10/2/2016 at 6:30 PM, drc32-0 said:

That's a big OR faux pas there I- Zapp.All the cool kids around here love to rave about how bad 555 is.

I'm with you,especially Zanesville to Ringgold.

555 is awesome. Don't let the haters fool you. It's dangerous with the blind curves, but one of my favorite roads. 

25 minutes ago, Casper said:

It's been about a year. Dick. 

Last time we had a conversation like this was about how your Colorado trip was 'a couple of years ago'. After I clarified that for you, you had to change your title to 'I used to ride my motorcycle'.  Sure you want to continue? Cuz this time it will be 'I am Tonik's bitch'.

Edited by Tonik

29 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Last time we had a conversation like this was about how your Colorado trip was 'a couple of years ago'. After I clarified that for you, you had to change your title to 'I used to ride my motorcycle'.  Sure you want to continue? Cuz this time it will be 'I am Tonik's bitch'.

Ha. Nope, it was last fall.