Tools for Tires

JackImpact

What tools will I need to remove my front and rear tire when it comes time for service or work? 

I have quite a set of tools, but I hate running into needing something specific at the last minute and having to go find it in the middle of the night. 

I also specifically could use some help on torque wrenches. 

Thanks guys. 

1 hour ago, zx3vfr said:

Lock tight for pinch bolts and axle. Maybe an odd sized hex key for the front axle. 

Dont cheap out out on the torque wrench. 

Recommendations on the torque wrenches? Not afraid to spend money on a good tool. 

49 minutes ago, JackImpact said:

Recommendations on the torque wrenches? Not afraid to spend money on a good tool. 

I've had bad luck with the the new style craftsmen ones. I really like the Kobalt ones. They are built nice, come with a hard case. I got 2 of them.

48 minutes ago, JackImpact said:

All 4 of mine are Matco. 1 is a 1/4" inch lbs for tiny fasteners for plastic/magnesium/aluminum valve covers. Goes up to 80inch lbs. 

another is a 3/8" up to 300inch lbs. 

3rd is a 3/8" 10 ft lbs to 100ftlbs 

4th is a 1/2" 45ftlbs to 200ft lbs. 

2 hours ago, zx3vfr said:

Lock tight for pinch bolts and axle. 

I have never EVER put lock tight on a pinch or axle blot. And I've been changing tires for 20 years. Even when properly torqued I find that those bolts are hard enough to get loose on the next change and never had one come loose.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

I have never EVER put lock tight on a pinch or axle blot. And I've been changing tires for 20 years. Even when properly torqued I find that those bolts are hard enough to get loose on the next change and never had one come loose.

+1 on no lock tight. I've never seen a manual specify to use the either.

I have three Sears Craftsmen torque wrenches, small one that does in lbs., medium one that will go to about 40 ft lbs. and a larger one that goes to about 150 ft lbs.  They were a little pricey, but I didn't want junk.  I use all three when working on my bike/friends bikes.