4 Day 1000 Mile Wytheville VA Trip

JustinNck1

So I attended the 2016 FJR Eastern Owners Meeting this year. This was my first big rally with the FJR folks and it was a blast. 

I left Thursday, ran across 33 to Ravenswood, WV and over to route 16. I stayed on 16 all the way through and picked up 52 in Virginia going over Big Walker Mountain. What a day. 350 miles of just awesome tight and technical twisties. This gave me amble time to get used to my new top case. I got to meet up with some old friends and meet alot of new ones at the rally. This year, there was 105 people registered. 

Friday, I rode with some of my Canadian/New York friends on a provided 270 mile loop. Once again, just endless great roads and scenery. Our pace was brisk, but not too wild. We kept our group sizes small which makes passing much easier. Then after an all day ride, the parking social hour lasted to throughout the night.

Saturday I decided it was a good day to just go out on my own and see how lost I can get. Well i definitely did. I got on a secondary road, which turned into a mud road, so i just turned around and picked another random road. I made this day short, due to the previous 2 days were still wearing on me. Saturday evening was our banquet dinner, which consisted of a catered meal with several free gifts from many companies, door prizes, 50/50, silent auction, and a fugliest Hawaiian shirt contest. I didn't win a free set of tires from Bridgestone, but I did get a set of Grip Buddies. I tried them out on the way home, not bad.

Today was go home day. I was going to 2 lane it all the way home, but the fog was terrible. I slabbed it back 77 and made it home about 9am. All in all, I had a great time and it made me really recognize how great roads Virginia has. The rally did have a few casualties. One deer hit on Thursday (Rideable), one low side Thursday (Brand New 2016, Rideable), one low side Friday (2014, Completely Totaled), and an automatic shift FJR shift solenoid failure. (Cracked Sub-frame Mount, He loaded the bike in a U-haul van last night and the van broke down this morning, rough weekend for him).

Here are some pictures and a short video from the trip.

Thursday Morning

20160922_070422_zpswpxxtbeq.jpg

Big Walker Mountain Overlook

20160922_141510_zps8ynqs078.jpg

View from my room

20160922_144727_zpsppv7xhli.jpg

Our Friday Group

20160923_155833_zpsqob9v8tk.jpg

Parking Lot Social

20160923_221136_zps5zoqp8sg.jpg

Saturday on 16

20160924_105148_zpsu6rkcn2k.jpg

Banquet Dinner

20160924_185603_zpsbi4nnwzg.jpg

Video From Friday's Ride

Edited by JustinNck1
  • Upvote 3

Glad you had a great time riding with some really great FJR people!

I normally make it to EOM, but missed it this year because I was riding The Smokies with some really old friends that same time frame.  I'm really glad Wayne didn't go down after whacking that deer though and regret not getting to hang out with Tyler.  I did make it to NAFO this year...it was awesome!