TIPIC Restriction rides

tier10

As someone with only a permit I'm kind of limited where I can ride.

One of the restrictions is "No riding on interstates or congested roads".

I understand the interstate part, but what is considered a congested road exactly?

Common sense tells me not in a downtown city environment.

So, should I really be worried about that or?

With that being said, would anyone around Ravenna be up for a ride suitable for a newly permitted rider?

Unfortunately they are not very specific with what a congested road is.  Fortunately as long as you are not riding like an asshole the chances of getting pulled over are slim.  Make sure you gear up and ride safe and you dont really have anything to worry about.  Even if you do get pulled over I think most officers would be reasonable as they are probably aware of how vague the wording is as well.

Yes gearing up is the first thing I did.

And I figured my chances of getting pulled over were very slim as long as I don't do anything to create attention. I can also play the "nobody told me that part". Because seriously, nobody told me about the permit rider rules.

So, no takers? I can ride and use the controls without thinking about it.

On 9/27/2016 at 6:53 PM, tier10 said:

Yes gearing up is the first thing I did.

And I figured my chances of getting pulled over were very slim as long as I don't do anything to create attention. I can also play the "nobody told me that part". Because seriously, nobody told me about the permit rider rules.

So, no takers? I can ride and use the controls without thinking about it.

Ignorance isn't an excuse and you can get popped. It's in the Ohio motorcycle manual. 

• Upvote 1

+2 for MSF. I took the course and it waived me taking the on bike license test at the DMV. Not to mention the plethora of useful information they taught. Do they still offer classes where they supply the bikes? If so, that's the one I'd do and what I did. That way if you drop the bike, it's not yours getting the damage.

• Upvote 1

Just now, thompsonian said:

Dude...I went to a podunk school...you should consider it lucky I can even COUNT to 2....

As someone who is working k-12 public education, you have my sincere apology for your education.  We failed you.  Sorry man.

Yeah I looked those up and found out you can use their supplied bikes, learn something, and get a test waiver for your endorsement.

I should have more time in the next few weeks.

Anyone ever tell you guys that you're all crazy?

Tier10 - Yes, we're crazy.

But the MSF training is a truly great idea.  You seem sold on the idea. I'm not sure how much you looked into it, but the season is ending soon. I think they have sessions this weekend and next and then seem to be finished for the year. Surprisingly they still have openings. Looks like they opened multiple classes.

If you don't happen to take it this fall, please consider taking it next year anyway. You'll pick up a lot of good info.

Chris

• Upvote 2

https://services.dps.ohio.gov/MotorCycleOhio/Pages/Public/Announcements.aspx

As of right now, there are 4 seats left in a class next week at the Cuyahoga Community College in Parma.  That looks like the closest location to Ravenna.  I'm a coach for the program as are a few other members on OR so if you have any questions or issues getting registered, please post up.

Edited by jacobhawkins
  • Upvote 2