NEO to Marietta 9-24

durk

I know it's short notice, but I wasn't sure I was going to be able to do it. Still fighting a cold, but I should be good. My plan is med-fast pace, but if I'm not feeling it, may be medium. I'll see how it goes. Plan to leave my place around 6AM, puts me in Lisbon around 7AM, and New Concord around 9ish. Plan to hit Subway for lunch in Marietta for about half hour. Return trip is still up in the air, but my plans were 26,260,800,255, and possibly 536 if its actually repaved and maybe some other great twisties off the river. I know most of you use google maps, but this is my mapquest link to Marietta.  

http://mapq.st/2ddYlaw

Hope the link works. Let me know if anyone is interested. We can discuss meet time and place. I've never lead a ride, but have rode with quite a few of you and my plan is ride your own ride. 

On September 23, 2016 at 10:10 AM, drc32-0 said:

Let us know what you find...255 is supposed to get some new pavement also.

255 had signs posted at 800 and 7 with nothing on them yet. It looks like they're are prepping to pave a lot of patching. I saw the same signs on 556. On 556 the signs said the road will be closed 9-26 until a date in October I did not catch(sorry I was going to miss my window to pass a truck). 536 has about 75% new pavement complete. It is strange there are like 3 one lane sections with traffic lights that need some heavy work. I would have thought they would have fixed these areas and then paved everything all at once. Pavement is grooved for a small distance off of 7. In general the pavement gets better and better the closer you get to 78. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, durk said:

I would have thought they would have fixed these areas and then paved everything all at once. 

Lol.That sounds a lot like my post in Eastern Ohio Paving Updates.I had a little rant about ODOT's strange scheduling habits.

Thanks for the updates.I'm working out of state right now so I don't know when I'll be able to check out the new pavement on 536 and the other roads.I'm going to get out for ride tomorrow but I doubt if I'll get that far east.

28 minutes ago, what said:

26 was in pretty good shape on the section we were on... except we got stuck behind a giant train of harleys that for real never went above 41mph and probably averaged closer to 30. For the whole run.

:|

Those Harley's must top out at 41 mph...that's what the small parade  was doing that I passed on 555 a couple of weeks ago.

4 minutes ago, jacobhawkins said:

That big bucket is great for photo ops!  Bike looks good man, glad you had a good day.

I kicked a Boy Scout troop out just so I could get the photo. I kind of felt bad about doing it so I did ask politely. 

Glad you had a good ride durk, it was a beautiful day.

I had a great time despite myself. Did about 380 miles and made it home right at 4.

I did learn several lessons and a couple of them the hard way. 

I low sided on a sharp RH turn. Came in too hot, panicked and grabbed a handful of front brake. 

First my concentration was not fully on the road because I was concerned by the pickup that was trying to chase me after I passed him in the straight. Second when you cant see through the curve, especially if the warning sign say 15mph, assume the worse. Third grabbing the front brake hard in the middle of a turn is a really bad idea.

Good news is my gear worked as intended and I only have a couple bruises and a little soreness for the accident. Wore a couple holes in the jacket and pants but over all it held up well. The bike did even better with the only noticeable damage is scrapes on the hand guards and a slightly tweaked handlebar. SuperMotos do crash well :D

So despite the biff I had a great day. Just need to replace the no longer waterproof pants :( . I guess that is a small price to pay for the lessons learned.

Also later that morning I learned I am slow. On a nice curvy part of new pavement on 250 in WV I was passed like I was standing still by a rider on a sport bike. I was not pushing it hard since it was not long after my biff and he was obviously skilled, but it was humbling seeing how much smoother that rider was carving the corners. 2 or 3 corners later he was out of site.

Craig

24 minutes ago, CBBaron said:

Came in too hot, panicked and grabbed a handful of front brake. 

Just something to ponder, I will bet a dozen donuts you were not too hot for the bike.  Bike was fine, it would have made it if you let it.  It was your head that decided it was too hot. We all have done it.

Glad you and the scoot are ok man.

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

Just something to ponder, I will bet a dozen donuts you were not too hot for the bike.  Bike was fine, it would have made it if you let it.  It was your head that decided it was too hot. We all have done it.

Glad you and the scoot are ok man.

Very true. Too fast for my head and a bad line. I probably could have ridden it out by pushing the turn harder and using the other lane, but I don't process that fast enough. Like I said panicked, which is never a good thing. 

Need more practice!!!!

Craig

If you feel like you're in too hot, lean lean lean. I tell myself that every time my brain tries to tell me I'm going too fast and won't make it. If your pegs aren't dragging and your knee isn't down, you've still got room, especially on a sumo. 

Do you trail brake at all? Been working on that this summer myself and it helps a lot, also keeps the suspension nice and happy through the corner if you're smooth (doesn't dive the front before you dip in). 

Anyhow, glad you're alright. 

Edited by what

15 hours ago, what said:

If you feel like you're in too hot, lean lean lean. I tell myself that every time my brain tries to tell me I'm going too fast and won't make it. If your pegs aren't dragging and your knee isn't down, you've still got room, especially on a sumo. 

Do you trail brake at all? Been working on that this summer myself and it helps a lot, also keeps the suspension nice and happy through the corner if you're smooth (doesn't dive the front before you dip in). 

Anyhow, glad you're alright. 

I agree 100%. Thats where practice come in as sometimes things are happening too fast for the logical part of my brain to make the right decision. Which is where this went wrong. :(

And you are correct sumos have great ground clearance. Unlike most bikes I'm pretty sure I could lose traction before dragging hard parts unless the road conditions were perfect. Still even that is better than high siding so your recommendation still applies. 

I have not tried learning to trail brake yet. I think I still need to pick better lines and be smoother through the corner. And obviously I still have to learn to "lean, lean, lean" instead of brake when the turn tightens up. At this point trail braking might be one control too many. I really need to get the leathers and take the bike for a couple track days. I'm sure that would be the fastest way to learn seeing how I don't seem to get many full days to hit curvy roads.

Craig

Edited by CBBaron

3 hours ago, CBBaron said:

I agree 100%. Thats where practice come in as sometimes things are happening too fast for the logical part of my brain to make the right decision. Which is where this went wrong. :(

And you are correct sumos have great ground clearance. Unlike most bikes I'm pretty sure I could lose traction before dragging hard parts unless the road conditions were perfect. Still even that is better than high siding so your recommendation still applies. 

I have not tried learning to trail brake yet. I think I still need to pick better lines and be smoother through the corner. And obviously I still have to learn to "lean, lean, lean" instead of brake when the turn tightens up. At this point trail braking might be one control too many. I really need to get the leathers and take the bike for a couple track days. I'm sure that would be the fastest way to learn seeing how I don't seem to get many full days to hit curvy roads.

Craig

The track is a great place to practice any and everything. I'm faster and smoother after every day I spend up there. 

3 hours ago, CBBaron said:

I don't seem to get many full days to hit curvy roads.

You're going to the gap with a bunch of guys here correct? I'm sure you will be riding plenty of twisties. I've only been to the gap twice, but each time I feel I've come back a better rider. Ride your own ride and get comfortable. My guess is you will come back a better rider. You'll come back and ride roads you used to think were a challenge and be bored. 

4 hours ago, CBBaron said:

Craig

I think what helps me is getting into a rhythm. If you're relaxed and having fun, your less likely to screw up or panic. Following an experienced rider to work on your lines will help too. After this last weekend, I feel my riding skill has progressed as far as line selection goes. I spent an entire day following a faster rider than me, which helped me work on corner entry (my weakest skill IMO).

2 hours ago, durk said:

You're going to the gap with a bunch of guys here correct? I'm sure you will be riding plenty of twisties. I've only been to the gap twice, but each time I feel I've come back a better rider. Ride your own ride and get comfortable. My guess is you will come back a better rider. You'll come back and ride roads you used to think were a challenge and be bored. 

Yep, I'm really excited about that trip. I'm sure I will come back a better rider.