route 83 south closed

bmwnut

14 minutes ago, bmwnut said:

was going to take it and ride a little of the epic route with my son but was stopped a the county line  could not find a short way around

Where is it closed? I was looking to take 83 from New Concord to Bristol Saturday. 

• 3 weeks later...

Little detour for any of you fellas coming down 83 from the north. Pick up sr541 in coshoton heading south it will run right into sr658. 658 dead ends into sr209 you'll hang a right and it'll bring you right back to sr83 a few miles north of New Concord. These are some nice roads and worth taking a detour even when sr83 is open. Adds some miles but a nice ride sr658 and sr209 both freshly paved in last couple of years. 

I've led a few FJR rides on these roads in the last year or so.We had a guy on a ST1300 go down hard on 658...several broken ribs and vertebra.The only crash we've ever had on a ride I routed and led...pretty shitty feeling having someone crash bad on a ride you set up.I was talking to the property owner as the wrecker loaded the bike on his flatbed and he said there has been at least 14 crashes on that corner in the ten years that he has owned the property.You'll be going the other direction so that turn really won't come into play.

Weekday construction only on 83 (8am to 3pm) so weekends it's open. It's south of otseego so you can also pick up 93 south there it's a fun road freshly paved. From there route 40 east will bring you back to 83. Also new hope rd connects 93 to 83 it's a great little road but not marked well and has some very tight turns. 

That's the best stretch of 83 there, southbound especially, & yes, it is just daytime weekday closures through October I believe. I take 93 north (from Zanesville) to 83 south to 209E to 658N to Guernsey Valley Rd east to Eighth St Rd S to 541 W and reverse 658 S & 209 W. Then 83S to Norfield Rd where you can veer off straight onto New Hope Rd a few miles into Norfield (It's easy to accidentally go straight onto New Hope Rd westbound, as you see the New Hope Rd pavement over the crest of the hill on Norfield, but you don't see until it is right up on you that Norfield Rd makes a hard left turn where New Hope intersects nearly head on - both take you back to 93)

Did you guys ride that route? Be very careful BOTH directions on 658, I squeeled my tires quite a bit once going into the turn in question southbound, it's tighter than one would expect. I was even fully aware of that turn's sneakiness, and this was after I found out the FJR guy crashed on that exact turn. It snuck up on me, too! That was after maybe my 8th time on it, even! It's the one with the collapsing shed on the south end (on your right if heading northbound). 

Wonder why the shed is collapsing? Because a southbound car ran off the road through the turn and wrecked into it... a tidbit I got from talking with Denny about his buddy's crash. Denny's buddy that crashed was a former racer even... This is why I never mention that road on the forums. It can be tricky and really bite ya... a real unpredictable road, you really need to be reading every corner to the fullest extent, no letting yourself get in a comfortable rhythm... I would not take any non-advanced riders on that road unless I led them at a casual pace (a challenge for me, I try to slow it up and my newer rider buds say "you ride really really fast..." (I keep it within 5-10 of the speed limits!)

Edited by Chuck78

I guess maybe I shouldn't of posted that one up. It's one of my ways home from work when I ride in. Figure when you travel a road all the time you don't think of that right away. I remember when I was a kid we use to ride our ten speeds along 658 and thought it was awesome. If I caught my kids out riding some of these state routs on a bicycle now I'd choke em. 

It's all good, just need to make sure when they are brought up on the forums that we raise the concern there are certain portions of roads like this that often bite riders pretty bad...

Like the 15mph decreasing radius off camber super tight blind right hand turn heading southbound on the brand new repaving job OH-536. Located a few miles in to 536 southbound, one of the first few curves southbound that you hit after the stop sign on 536 at the Sykes Ridge Rd junction. Not a problem northbound, it's an increasing radius 15mph turn that way...

Many roads that I love the most of all are roads that can be very dangerous to less advanced riders or ANY rider who let's their gaurd down... After 7.5hrs riding yesterday, I approached a turn and at that last minute read into it that thus was a much tighter turn than my 45 mph entry speed was okay with...at which time I grabbed a handful of brakes and recollected to myself "oh yeah dumbass, that was a 15mph curve warning sign you just blew past in a blur..." rider fatigue is often transparent to the rider until it is too late, luckily I have great late model ninja brakes & fantastic rubber on my 1970's superbike!

Edited by Chuck78