Learn me all about Lasik

2talltim

I'm sick of wearing glasses, I hate them with a passion. So I was thinking of having lasik eye surgery next year but I need to get on the ball now. I will need to know how much for starters to add to my health care flex spending account during open enrollment coming in in a month for next year. So I need to get in for some consultation's and see if I'm a good candidate or not. So let me hear what you all know. The good, the bad ,the ugly I want to hear it all. Like to hear referral's and the dos and do nots. I currently wear single vision lenses and have a slight astigmatism. I live in central Ohio about a hour north of CBUS, 40 min from Newark and 20 min from mansfield.

AND GO......

Edited by 2talltim

Second just do it. My dad did it at least 15 years ago and still good. Ex-gf also did it and great results. The recovery is the worst part, like any surgery. Check out the different types, she had the PRK done. Do both eyes at the same time. Cost for her was $2400.

I had mine done over 15 years ago.  I had it done by Dr. Marino at LasikPlus in Cincinnati.

I had both done for about $1500.  I had a slight astigmatism too.  They were able to correct that as well. 

The surgery was a little stressful, because I was awake, and afraid I would move my eye and end up blind.  Just me worrying.  In those commercials, they used to show people sitting up and seeing 20/20 across the room immediately after the surgery.  It wasn't like that for me.  My vision was a little off for a day or two.  I had the night time halos that some people get, but after about a month those went away. 

My advice would be to do your research and then do it!

Good Luck!

Edited by okeefe01

$3300 and six years later...  20/60 vision, back to using contacts and/or glasses. 

Could get a "free" retreatment, but 1) you have to pay a $75 reassessment fee from the LASIK place, plus whatever it costs to get your optometrist to do the extra testing and fill out the forms required by the LASIK place to get the retreatment.  And 2) how many times do you really want to mechanically alter the structural integrity of your cornea?

The only positive now, not having as bad a prescription as before, and could get away with standard spherical contacts rather than toric lenses, though after the last eye exam a week ago, torics are being recommended again.

$3300 out of an HSA would've bought a lot of glasses or contacts. YMMV

My oldest son just had it done three or four weeks ago and on the way home he said it was awesome. He had it done at Roholt in North Canton and as we was leaving Canton headed south he said " wow, I can read all wheel drive on the back of that car ".  That car was like six to eight car lengths ahead of us and he was shooting his bow two days later.

My brother in law had his done probably twenty years back and also said it was a great help. 

I know people that tried the bargain route, their back to wearing glasses. My mom had hers done 15 years ago, just now started wearing readers, but that is an age thing. I had mine done by TLC. I think mine was $3600 for custom Lasik. 0% financing for 24 months. Made my last payment 2 weeks ago. Only regret is I didn't do it sooner.

My father in law was a doctor and he always said never operate on a healthy organ.

Contrary to his advice I had LASIK 12 years or so ago. At the time, my prescription was such  that I had to wear hard lens contacts and I could not wear sports goggles. I never could comfortably put in or wear the contacts. I played a lot of sports and of course scuba diving and so it really made sense for me to do because these things are difficult to do with regular glasses. However, I did and do have some issues. I still to this day have dry eyes where I never had them before and at night I get a lot of starburst and glare from the lights. These aren't huge issues but the dry eyes were fairly bad for me for years. I always had to carry eye drops with me and put gel in my eyes before bed as without them I would wake up with my eyes nearly dried shut. This was mostly in the winter when the humidity was low. Over the years this has gotten better but I still have to use the drops now and then.

There are a lot of people that have really severe dry eye and other issues, it's a small percentage but it happens. I always tell people if you can wear contacts don't do the LASIK. If you can't wear contacts then consider it carefully. Looking back, had I been able to wear contacts I wouldn't have done the procedure.

Don't be sucked in by the marketing stuff. Read up on issues people have. I found out 20/20 vision just means you can read x sized letters at x distance (I forget the metrics). Even if you see double but can read them, you still have 20/20 vision. It says nothing about your visual acuity.

For a lot people it's the best thing they ever did. For others, it's a nightmare. Not trying to scare you, just don't take it lightly.

I wear glasses again but am not dependent on them. I can see well but not crisply and especially since I'm on the computer all day, wearing them helps. Once I become dependent on them again, I'll give contacts another shot. 

I used Dr. Marino also here in Cincinnati. I had my original surgery many years ago and had to have an enhancement done last year. Lasik was a quicker recovery than PRK. It takes a couple of weeks for clarity to set in. Being a paramedic/firefighter, its the best thing I've done.

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

On 9/24/2016 at 7:26 PM, OsuMj said:

I read a study that said long term effects of having the surgery, which can create a little scar tissue, can make glaucoma more difficult to detect.  I'll have to see if I can find the article.

One of my co-workers just had his done, lens replacement, to take care of glaucoma.  Not long after, he went in to have the other eye done.  

Well not sure if this is going to happen now, just found out my kid might need about $2000 worth of dental work done. Something about bone spurs in the jaw causing her pain and inflammation. But if not now like to keep my option open for near future.

I had it done 15 years ago'ish. Friggin freaky procedure. Cured my stress headaches from squinting at a computer all day.  Now I have days shits all really really blurry, only direct cause I can figure out is looking at this stupid phone too much. If I stay off it in fine. That can't read tiny things up close is setting in with old age also. I believe it to be unrelated to lasik. 

I had lasik done 3-4 years ago. Cost was around 3500 and the procedure wasn't too bad. Had a few issues with dry eyes at first and they seemed drier than usual for the first year. Vision also seemed to vary a bit for the first year or two but has stabilized now. Sometimes my eyes do dry out and my vision gets noticeably worse, like after welding for several hours, then comes back once I use drops or rest. It didn't give me as good as vision I had with contacts but I'm supposedly 20/20 according to my eye doctor. I used to have a lot of trouble with my contacts and would definitely do it again... 

• 1 month later...

Had mine done about 5 months ago now,  first month left me with rainbow circles around every light source.  that's faded and my vision is as good as it ever was with glasses.  I went to clear choice in Brecksville. $80/ month on a carecredit card for 5 years. 

I did well with contacts,  but I had a really big prescription, -7 /-7.5 and contacts higher than 8 are uncommon and expensive. 

Overall very pleased....

1 hour ago, magley64 said:

Had mine done about 5 months ago now,  first month left me with rainbow circles around every light source.  that's faded and my vision is as good as it ever was with glasses.  I went to clear choice in Brecksville. $80/ month on a carecredit card for 5 years. 

I did well with contacts,  but I had a really big prescription, -7 /-7.5 and contacts higher than 8 are uncommon and expensive. 

Overall very pleased....

I was getting in the same boat. My contacts kept getting more expensive and they wanted me to switch to hard contacts. That's when I went to lasik.