Epic Ride - Your Thoughts - New Route Idea

DerekClouser

49 minutes ago, thompsonian said:

@DerekClouser if you head down this way, or bring a group down, I'll gladly give you a sweep or show you some possible hidden gems.

I don't know the roads for crap being a Columbus schmuck but I'd be happy to help test any new routes @DerekClouser is considering... 

:p 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DerekClouser said:

I honestly don't ever remember riding 676. Might have to test it out before the year is out.  That will let me know how I feel about it for a group setting.   I just rode 26 with @dpgasser a few months back and it was okay, but if they are chip/sealing it, might be out of the question. 

I wouldn't suggest 676 for a group that is unfamiliar.  There are a few corners on that can get you unless you know the road.  There's also a jump.   

Edited by Tpoppa

18 minutes ago, Danimal said:

maybe it's just me, but cannot wrap my head around how ANY ride of <4-500 miles could be considered "Epic"

I am well aware of the folks that ride distances to get TO the ride...but still

The OR Epic ride SHOULD be a several day affair

Day one: Everyone mosey to the meet location. Meet and greet with food and drinks

Day two: a REAL Epic ride of 400 or so min miles. Have alternate routes to ditch if the rider is incapable of continuing safely

Day three: ride home.

Epic Gap Ride

OR Annual Group Ride

The ride doesnt have to be a ton of miles to be considered EPIC. Usually the roads ridden are enough to be considered EPIC in themselves. I ride a sport tourer capable of many mile rides and yet mine usually consist of around 300 to 400 miles due to the roads I'm on. And in my 300 mile radius there are some pretty challenging roads that are quite EPIC in themselves.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, thompsonian said:

550 can seem "boring" especially from the Barlow to Sharpsburg section. It's similar to 78 but depending on the time of year, there will be lots of tractor traffic. May consider 676 as an alternative. Picks up outside of Marietta and goes all the way to 555 that you can either run into Barlow or into Chesterhill. This is mine and @JustinNck1 backyard. Our playground. If you need any scouting done, let us know. We'd be glad to do our part.

20 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

676 is a wonderfull road, paved with in the last two years. Some corners are tricky though need full focus on it. for eg there is one corner u go straight into a house lol unless u literally twist your neck to look through the corner

676 Much better than 550 to get back across.  I usually come home from Marietta on it but turn onto 339 so I can get me a Rock n Roll Sub in Beverly.  Thought I had video of it, but I guess not.  I may have to make a run down there for documentation/scientific purposes.

• 4 weeks later...

New guy here. Obviously haven't been on one of these rides but sounds great. Seems a lot of you fellas are from way up north and way west of the area you like to ride and lucky me I'm right in the middle of it. You guys ever think about different locations for beginning and end to cut some of the miles? You could start somewhere like coshocton head south 83 to 78 loop around bottom of old mans cave area then point em north on 664 finishing up in the Hebron or jacktown area. Something like that could add some more miles to your epic ride and cut down on getting to it. May sound crazy. Just a thought. 

1 minute ago, Killer_kaw said:

You guys ever think about different locations for beginning and end to cut some of the miles?

Don't see that happening, a fair number of folks (aka sissies) trailer to the event. Plus we sometimes have a cookout in the parking lot....too many moving parts to make work on multiple locations.

10 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Don't see that happening, a fair number of folks (aka sissies) trailer to the event. Plus we sometimes have a cookout in the parking lot....too many moving parts to make work on multiple locations.

Gotcha. Didn't see that trailer thing coming. 

6 hours ago, Killer_kaw said:

New guy here. Obviously haven't been on one of these rides but sounds great. Seems a lot of you fellas are from way up north and way west of the area you like to ride and lucky me I'm right in the middle of it. You guys ever think about different locations for beginning and end to cut some of the miles? You could start somewhere like coshocton head south 83 to 78 loop around bottom of old mans cave area then point em north on 664 finishing up in the Hebron or jacktown area. Something like that could add some more miles to your epic ride and cut down on getting to it. May sound crazy. Just a thought. 

I like the miles!

Can not understand those who complain about having to ride to a ride.  We live in Ohio, there is a two lane backroad to everywhere.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

My route to the ride is as much fun as the ride, itself. I love all of my precious miles. 

That said, I believe "Epic" is more of a trademark or title, than an adjective on this ride. It's "the big one" we all ride to to see each other. It's our big M&G for the season. The ride is there because we own motorcycles and we should ride them. However, the ride is more about bringing everyone to the same place so we can hang out and goof around. That's what makes it Epic. 

unless I'm completely talking with my anus... then just ignore everything I said, or might say in the future. 

Nailed it!

I like the route and we can manage a few more miles. 

Oddly enough we typically do end with more miles than the route is calling for. It might be the wrong turns we make too.

Edited by snot
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2016 at 2:56 PM, Tpoppa said:

I wouldn't suggest 676 for a group that is unfamiliar.  There are a few corners on that can get you unless you know the road.  There's also a jump.   

The jump is my favorite part!

On 9/14/2016 at 3:47 PM, Danimal said:

maybe it's just me, but cannot wrap my head around how ANY ride of <4-500 miles could be considered "Epic"

I am well aware of the folks that ride distances to get TO the ride...but still

The OR Epic ride SHOULD be a several day affair

Day one: Everyone mosey to the meet location. Meet and greet with food and drinks

Day two: a REAL Epic ride of 400 or so min miles. Have alternate routes to ditch if the rider is incapable of continuing safely

Day three: ride home.

See OR gap trip

On 9/15/2016 at 10:30 AM, RCBS said:

676 Much better than 550 to get back across.  I usually come home from Marietta on it but turn onto 339 so I can get me a Rock n Roll Sub in Beverly.  Thought I had video of it, but I guess not.  I may have to make a run down there for documentation/scientific purposes.

Rock n roll sub?  Details please. 

Trying to to get the bubbys together to party at the fishin shack in Beverly. 

Always looking for decent eats in that town. Although the seemingly weekly steak frys at the eagles/legion work out well. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, max power said:

The jump is my favorite part!

See OR gap trip

Rock n roll sub?  Details please. 

Trying to to get the bubbys together to party at the fishin shack in Beverly. 

Always looking for decent eats in that town. Although the seemingly weekly steak frys at the eagles/legion work out well. 

Jukebox Pizza.  Just across the river in Waterford.  First left off the bridge.  Small pizza joint.  Rock n Roll Sub just their take on a footlong submarine.  I enjoy them.  Their Super Nachos are also pretty good.  It's just become one of those spots I love to stop and eat at when out riding.  

http://www.menupix.com/menudirectory/menu.php?id=350010168

• Upvote 1

On 10/21/2016 at 4:12 PM, RCBS said:

Jukebox Pizza.  Just across the river in Waterford.  First left off the bridge.  Small pizza joint.  Rock n Roll Sub just their take on a footlong submarine.  I enjoy them.  Their Super Nachos are also pretty good.  It's just become one of those spots I love to stop and eat at when out riding.  

http://www.menupix.com/menudirectory/menu.php?id=350010168

Ah, ok. I figured that's what you were talking about. That place is right down the street from the fishing shack.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 2:56 PM, what said:

I don't know the roads for crap being a Columbus schmuck but I'd be happy to help test any new routes @DerekClouser is considering... 

Andy, This is not a new route. Remember the soft field of grass on 260 south in 2014.

:p