Thoughts on FZ1 generation 1

Connie14

I have been considering adding a first generation FZ1 to the garage.   I have always liked them and the KLR from afar.  My concern is that it may be too similar to the Connie,  so I may not ride it much.   I am hoping that the lighter FZ1 may allow me to return to riding sooner than my Connie.   Any thoughts or suggestions?

Awesome bike...not comparable to the Connie IMO which is more comparable to the FJR. 1st gens are carb'd and have a more relaxed riding position than gen 2's. Pulls hard all the way to the top and easy to loft the front with just a twist. Wind protection is OK, can be made better with a larger screen if you want. No hard pannier options that I'm aware of but several saddlebag solutions out there. Pretty sure you can mount a topcase on there though I never had one on mine. The best thing is you can find lightly used ones for a song.

Case in point that I saw over on the FZ1 forums...has upgraded front/rear suspension, jetted and in nice shape:

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2002-Yamaha-Fz1-118987390

Edited by ScubaCinci

I like mine! easily the most competent all-rounder that I've owned.

Engine is of two minds about itself; no real power until 5-6k, and the ACTUAL power hits around 7. It allows you to be assertive in traffic without being ludicrous. But, stout enough to haul my heavy ass around with gear on the freeways at super-legal speeds without complaining. As currently geared it pulls ~5.5k at 80mph. The carbs are good and smooth, supposedly much better than the '06-on FI versions. Big gas tank, too, just over 5 gallons; I averaged about 40 mpg all the way back from Heath OH, averaging almost a hundred mph for the trip, including a 5 minute gas stop. Cruising range easily over 200 miles.

Suspension is good. Dives a little in front but I'm, again, a very big boy at 6'3" 320. Competent. Leans well, stable through corners, handles bumps nicely.

Ergos are great. Very comfortable in a tuck and in cruise mode; I've put several hundred miles at a stretch on mine with no real effort. Wind protection is bad -- fairing is too far forwards and aftermarket windshields don't really do much. The seat is well-padded and pretty comfy, but the front seam splits by the gas tank on the regular. Consider after-market.

Bike features are basic. Carb'd like I said, so factor in some more maintenance for those. No ABS; no TC; no electronics really of any kind. Does feature a center stand, which I use more often than not. Headlights are great.

I have a full Givi 3-bag setup on mine and it handles the extra weight well.

FYI ... Mine might be for sale depending on your level of interest. This bike is fast enough that I have been considering something slower out of a misguided sense of self-preservation.

Edited by Ryan_c_F

I love my FZ1, it is a very solid dependable bike.  I liked the FZ1 so much, after I totaled my first one I decided to get another one.  Comfortable seating position and plenty of power.  You cant go wrong with a first Gen FZ1.  If you do decide to get one, I suggest an Ivans jet kit, as it will help tremendously with the buzz between 4-5K RPM and throttle response.  @whaler and I have worked on multiple FZ1s for years and know pretty much everything about them if you have any specific questions.  Good luck with your purchase, there are quite a few out there.  I found mine in southern Indiana with 7K mi and all original in near perfect condition.

Personally, I find FI to be easier to work with because you can use a power commander or flash to adjust. Try pulling all the carbs and cleaning them and/or jetting. Not fun. I think up to 2008(?) on the second gen there was a problem with frames cracking at the weld.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Connie14 said:

It seems that the Gen 1 FZ1s are more popular than the Gen 2 due to fuel mapping issues.   Did this ever get resolved,  or do they need a fuel commander?  Would I be better off looking at Gen 1s?

Ivans Performance has a flash that fixes all the fuel issues and really makes the Gen2 a great bike.

Stay away from 06 and 07 as they do have issues with frame welds and stators.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Connie14 said:

It seems that the Gen 1 FZ1s are more popular than the Gen 2 due to fuel mapping issues.   Did this ever get resolved,  or do they need a fuel commander?  Would I be better off looking at Gen 1s?

Depends on what you're looking for in a bike.

The Gen 2 is more sporty, the Gen 1 is more tour-y. Gen 1 carbs are smoother in traffic out of box, bigger gas tank, better two up; Gen 2 FI is better for engine response, the suspension is more modern, looks a bit nicer IMHO.

Coming from a Connie the Gen 1 might be more up your alley regarding rider demographic, but the Gen 2 is a great bike as well.

4 hours ago, Ryan_c_F said:

Depends on what you're looking for in a bike.

The Gen 2 is more sporty, the Gen 1 is more tour-y. Gen 1 carbs are smoother in traffic out of box, bigger gas tank, better two up; Gen 2 FI is better for engine response, the suspension is more modern, looks a bit nicer IMHO.

Coming from a Connie the Gen 1 might be more up your alley regarding rider demographic, but the Gen 2 is a great bike as well.

9 hours ago, whaler said:

Ivans Performance has a flash that fixes all the fuel issues and really makes the Gen2 a great bike.

Stay away from 06 and 07 as they do have issues with frame welds and stators.

There seems to be a lot of fz1s for sale now (as well as vfrs).   I need something somewhat light, and it can't have too much of a sporting riding position.  This will allow me to start riding in a few weeks, and I can resume riding the Connie and sporty bike in the spring. (New ACL should be 100% this winter.) How is the Gen 1 FZ1d vs early 2000s VFRs?  It seems like I could get either one inexpensively, then sell it in the spring if I don't like it.

6 minutes ago, Connie14 said:

There seems to be a lot of fz1s for sale now (as well as vfrs).   I need something somewhat light, and it can't have too much of a sporting riding position.  This will allow me to start riding in a few weeks, and I can resume riding the Connie and sporty bike in the spring. (New ACL should be 100% this winter.) How is the Gen 1 FZ1d vs early 2000s VFRs?  It seems like I could get either one inexpensively, then sell it in the spring if I don't like it.

FZ1 is way more comfortable than the VFR.  I have had both and although the Honda is a great relaxed machine compared to a super sport, the FZ1 is all day comfortable, faster, and handles just as good out of the box.

• Upvote 1

I had a FZ1 gen 1, and had (2) FZ1 gen 2, still have the 2006 FZ1. All great bikes, good handling, good power and great riding ergos. But, I have to admit I like my Kaw Ninja 1000 the best! Can't wait to see the new FZ10!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Connie14 said:

I went to a dealer today and sat on a VFR800, and you guys are right.  The FZ1 seems to be the way to go. Now time to watch Craigslist. 

Heli-bars help a lot however I still don't think that will be enough help with how bent your knee would be still

On 9/14/2016 at 6:50 PM, Connie14 said:

No experience with the VFR unfortunately, but from what Cycle-Ergo shows me, the VFR is canted forward about twice as much as the FZ1. It's got clip-ons, where the FZ1 is handlebars, so that'd fit.

The FZ1 leans me forward slightly but it's much closer to a UJM than it is a race-replica... in fact, the rider triangle is almost exactly the same as the C14 Concours.

The FZ1 is 510lbs wet, so it's not exactly a lightweight in the sporting world, but it's manageable, especially on the move.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

My Gen 1 was great. Ivans jet kit, and a slip on. Mine made 136 rwhp.  It did everything, from touring, to track days, to commuting. One thing to be aware of is the second gear issue. Mine lost second gear. On your test ride, if you can, make sure to take it to red line. Mine started jump out of gear around 8-9000rpms. Ended up being cheaper to replace the entire engine, than just the gears. My fz1 also had an ohlins piston kit done by traxxion dynamics and a penske rear shock. Had a magura front master cylinder and braided lines. Best brakes i've ever used. It was a rock solid, super dependable motorcycle. The only reason I got rid of it, was shear boredom. 

• Upvote 1

I have a 2006.  First year of gen 2.  The fueling issue was taken care of easily with an Ivan's fuel cut eliminator.  The welded cracking on the frame was a very limited issue on a very small batch of bikes. I keep an eye on mine, but no issues so far and I don't expect any.

Great bike. Comfortable, powerful, handles well and looks great.

not a fantastic 2 up machine. 

Edited by max power

9 hours ago, oldschoolsdime92 said:

My Gen 1 was great. Ivans jet kit, and a slip on. Mine made 136 rwhp.  It did everything, from touring, to track days, to commuting. One thing to be aware of is the second gear issue. Mine lost second gear. On your test ride, if you can, make sure to take it to red line. Mine started jump out of gear around 8-9000rpms. Ended up being cheaper to replace the entire engine, than just the gears. My fz1 also had an ohlins piston kit done by traxxion dynamics and a penske rear shock. Had a magura front master cylinder and braided lines. Best brakes i've ever used. It was a rock solid, super dependable motorcycle. The only reason I got rid of it, was shear boredom. 

The second gear issue is a problem on 01-02 and early VIN 03.  The gears were redesigned and I have really never heard of the issue on 04-05 bikes.

1 hour ago, whaler said:

The second gear issue is a problem on 01-02 and early VIN 03.  The gears were redesigned and I have really never heard of the issue on 04-05 bikes.

This is the first time I have heard of this issue as well.  I know the FZ1 has a longer  jog from first to second, maybe this was the issue with the early year models and it caused 2nd gear to wear out prematurely.