Ohio Riders Invades Deals Gap 2017

Casper

On 4/19/2017 at 1:56 PM, theroamr said:

I'm in staying with Tony and Paulie Weds, Thurs and Fri. If I stay sat night will need somewhere to stay a night.

Anybody planning some off road?

I will be riding with a group of Big Adventure Bike's doing the 3 day Smokey Mountain 500 on June 8th. Leaving out of Stecoah, NC. (Iron Horse) coming your way on 28 but turning off early  2511 Fontana Rd, Robbinsville, NC 28771 on the Upper Tuskeegee Road heading to Tellico Plains area the first night. This will be a mix of dirty roads with some curvy asphalt connectors. We will be on 50/50 Mitas E-07's tires. You can drop out at many locations and head back to Fontana or ride on with us. We will return to Iron Horse on the 10th.  Brian

Here is a reference Video:

Not Me.

https://youtu.be/WrPkxtkP77k

https://youtu.be/qnS_MJFv9k0

Edited by B-Mac
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, max power said:

Looks like the only ones trailering are me and What.  

Joel and I were planning to trailer down together and will have four bikes between us. Might be able to fit you on my trailer.

Tim,  you are welcome to ride with us. 

what,  I know we have talked about trailering together. Wasn't sure that I was going until recently and I still haven't got my vacation approved. Get with me and we'll see what we can make happen.  

Depending on Joel getting the twin star ready I may not take my Enduro.  If that's the case, we would have four bikes on my trailer (me, Joel, rawlins, what) which would fit no problem. 5 gets pretty tight, but has been done.  

Thanks for the offer man. I may head down a day or 2 early if I can swing it so I'll probably drive myself. Currently I do have a spot for a smaller bike on my trailer, nothing larger than a Daytona though, probably. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, what said:

Thanks for the offer man. I may head down a day or 2 early if I can swing it so I'll probably drive myself. Currently I do have a spot for a smaller bike on my trailer, nothing larger than a Daytona though, probably. 

Andy's street tripple tried to do butt stuff with my daytona on the way back last year. Be forewarned.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Andy's street tripple tried to do butt stuff with my daytona on the way back last year. Be forewarned.

Hey, lets not try to place blame on a single party. Both of them were up to no good. 

• Upvote 1

As I have stated before I will be bringing my Travel Trailer. In a desperate spot I could put a single bike in the trailer as long as it was not massive. I will also have room for at least 2 other people if anyone wants to ride in the cab of my pickup.

• Upvote 2

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:44 AM, B-Mac said:

I will be riding with a group of Big Adventure Bike's doing the 3 day Smokey Mountain 500 on June 8th. Leaving out of Stecoah, NC. (Iron Horse) coming your way on 28 but turning off early  2511 Fontana Rd, Robbinsville, NC 28771 on the Upper Tuskeegee Road heading to Tellico Plains area the first night. This will be a mix of dirty roads with some curvy asphalt connectors. We will be on 50/50 Mitas E-07's tires. You can drop out at many locations and head back to Fontana or ride on with us. We will return to Iron Horse on the 10th.  Brian

Here is a reference Video:

Not Me.

https://youtu.be/WrPkxtkP77k

https://youtu.be/qnS_MJFv9k0

sounds fun. Ive been practicing off road and from what Ive seen in the videos I should be okay. Now if wet my battlewings will not be up to the task.

1 hour ago, Danimal said:

Andy,

I'll have a rear Mitas E-07 for you to take down for me. We can work out the details as the time comes.

OK?

Sure thing. I'll be bringing all my tools along including the tire changing variety (weights too), so we could potentially just do the tire change at Fontana.

1 hour ago, Danimal said:

Brian,

I'd love to do this with you if you think thje 250 wouldn't be slowing you guys down much. I'll be leaving NE Ohio the evening of 5/31 heading down thata way. 

Keep me in mind for this ok?

No problem what so ever. You and the Romer are welcome to join in for as long as you like. We stay in motels, you can trail camp if you like. Iwill keep you updated.

5 hours ago, Danimal said:

Oh...I will be trail camping Brian. Will stay a few days at Ironhorse, and a few days at Blue Ridge MC Campground as well.

I'm taking a full three weeks off for this trip, so will also do a couple motels too.

Just picked up a used Redverz Solo tent in great shape (only used for a single Alaska trip by original owner). Can't wait to use it.

The ironhorse is a pretty kewl setup!  The little restaurant on the road in has some awesome catfish too!!

7 hours ago, what said:

Sure thing. I'll be bringing all my tools along including the tire changing variety (weights too), so we could potentially just do the tire change at Fontana.

I'm bringing some tire change friendly equipment as well so whatever you may not have, I likely will

50 minutes ago, Qman said:

The ironhorse is a pretty kewl setup!  The little restaurant on the road in has some awesome catfish too!!

Stecoah Diner.  Good stuff, and VERY fair prices.  Their breakfasts are great as well.  Wife and I's maiden voyage to the Gap a few years ago was at IronHorse Inn.  They've got good chow there too ( the grilled salmon was stellar! ) only downfall is you have to get on the guest list in advance so they know how many they're feeding.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Hellmutt said:

I'm bringing some tire change friendly equipment as well so whatever you may not have, I likely will

I'll have everything one would need short of a No-mar stand to take a wheel off the bike, a tire off the wheel, a tire on the wheel, balance the wheel and put said wheel back on the bike. 

I may not have some socket sizes for front/rear axle nut. Currently I have a 22mm, 25mm and 27mm and that motion-pro multi size allen socket tool. I don't have a chain break tool either. 

I'll even bring lube. 

Edited by what

15 hours ago, Hellmutt said:

Stecoah Diner.  Good stuff, and VERY fair prices.  Their breakfasts are great as well.  Wife and I's maiden voyage to the Gap a few years ago was at IronHorse Inn.  They've got good chow there too ( the grilled salmon was stellar! ) only downfall is you have to get on the guest list in advance so they know how many they're feeding.

Stumbled in to this joint after trailering down all night and after an hour nap we hopped on the bikes to grab breakfast. it was awesome, highly recommend!

On April 25, 2017 at 8:32 AM, max power said:

Looks like the only ones trailering are me and What.  

Joel and I were planning to trailer down together and will have four bikes between us. Might be able to fit you on my trailer.

Tim,  you are welcome to ride with us. 

what,  I know we have talked about trailering together. Wasn't sure that I was going until recently and I still haven't got my vacation approved. Get with me and we'll see what we can make happen.  

Depending on Joel getting the twin star ready I may not take my Enduro.  If that's the case, we would have four bikes on my trailer (me, Joel, rawlins, what) which would fit no problem. 5 gets pretty tight, but has been done.   (Shit bubby you better be ready to be left in the dust on the trail A twin star is always ready I've never had one break that couldn't be fixed in the middle of nowhere putting my new tires on grandpas twin star now just because the 37-year-old tires will not be max power improved. I think this bike handles better then a xr does off-road 

All you Computer educated bubbys are going to rip on my trail rig changed the tires & chain in less then an hour & a half with the help of three different size spoons  ,but all you really need is three small spoons for a good spooning & yes i'm still taking my banana for the high-speed twisties

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by marlboro man

Okay guys, 

Unfortunately, I've accepted a position with a new company and the new job starts June 6th so I won't be able to attend this like I wanted.  I booked my trip the week before since I'll be in the interim between companies.  

I've only been there once before and it was literally for a day (enough to experience the tail, cherohala, rocky mountain national park)

Can you guys give me a list of must see's so I can program into Sygic so we don't miss out.  

So far I've got Bald River Falls, Cherohala Skyway, Wolf Pen Gap, Tail of the Dragon,  & Blood Mountain. 

I'm more looking for awesome scenic areas or dining areas or anything else you figure out is a must do.

Thanks gents! 

1 hour ago, DerekClouser said:

Okay guys, 

Unfortunately, I've accepted a position with a new company and the new job starts June 6th so I won't be able to attend this like I wanted.  I booked my trip the week before since I'll be in the interim between companies.  

I've only been there once before and it was literally for a day (enough to experience the tail, cherohala, rocky mountain national park)

Can you guys give me a list of must see's so I can program into Sygic so we don't miss out.  

So far I've got Bald River Falls, Cherohala Skyway, Wolf Pen Gap, Tail of the Dragon,  & Blood Mountain. 

I'm more looking for awesome scenic areas or dining areas or anything else you figure out is a must do.

Thanks gents! 

Gonna do the "Snake" while you're in the area?

http://www.421thesnake.com

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, DerekClouser said:

This is the go to route that I invented years ago that everyone else uses and raves about.  It covers all of the above, but not all of Blood Mountain. Tuff to hit Wolf Pen and all of Blood at the same time.

https://goo.gl/maps/ubUwddnqNfC2

In Franklin you have to go here, and get a bowl of the Blue Crab Bisque.  Yes, I was the first to discover this place too.  They only take cash.  Don't let the fact that it shares space with a gas station fool you.  It is 5 star French with very fair prices.

https://www.facebook.com/CaffeRel/

I am assuming you are trailing down, so I won't bother to waste time with my routes to get down there.  If that is incorrect let me know.

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Tonik said:

This is the go to route that I invented years ago that everyone else uses and raves about.  It covers all of the above.

https://goo.gl/maps/ubUwddnqNfC2

In Franklin you have to go here, and get a bowl of the Blue Crab Bisque.  Yes, I was the first to discover this place too.  They only take cash.  Don't let the fact that it shares space with a gas station fool you.  It is 5 star French with very fair prices.

https://www.facebook.com/CaffeRel/

I am assuming you are trailing down, so I won't bother to waste time with my routes to get down there.  If that is incorrect let me know.

Route looks awesome.  

Yes we are trailering. 

Any scenic spots that are a must see when down there?