Looking to get my second bike... Hmm..

Scene

Hi All,

I'm sure many other people have been in my position and are ready to get something new. I currently have a 2001 CBR600f4i and it's getting up there in miles. 30k+. I am looking to work on it through the winter, such as replacing the chain, sprocket, maybe new tires and whatever else is needed so I can get it ready to sell by spring time. Not sure how much I should sell it for but I would just like enough to help me get a new bike.

I definitely want something more current. Maybe like a 2010+. I'm not sure on what to get though. Should I stick with a Honda? 600rr or 1000rr? What are your opinions? Also, any short riders in here? Lol. I'm 5'4/5'5" and I can currently ride my bike with no issues. Are the newer 600rr's higher in seat height? What about the 1000rr?

Long shot, but I LOVE the way the BMW S1000rr's look lol.

My cousin had an R6 and the seat height was a little too high for me. But then again it was my first bike I ever rode so it could be something I'd just have to get used to.

I do know that lowering is an option but doesn't that effect steering and whatnot? That's why I avoided lowering my f4i. The guy I bought it from even included a lowering link but I never bothered getting it installed.

R6's (the current gen) sit higher in my exp. I'm typically a one foot down at a stop light kind of guy myself, so a bike would have to be super tall for me not to want to ride it. That bike with 30k+ miles and it being a 2001, you may get $2500 (imo) if its immaculate and has all that maintenance done. Maybe less if the valves haven't been checked. Unfortunately it's just an older bike. You'd be correct to sell it during spring time though.

My daytona has 31k and I'm about to track it this weekend. So long as a machine has been properly maintained it shouldn't spontaneously combust if that is what is playing into your decision to start looking for something else.

1000's are a completely different beasts, especially the s1000rr's. Not to scare you away from a liter, but just warning you. You can get in deep really quick on a liter bike.

Lowering changes the chassis/ steering geometry. I've never lowered any of my bikes, I've ridden lowered bikes, in my experience the lower the speed, the more you feel the bike has been fucked with. Still not my preference as you have less ground clearance as well.

Thanks for the information guys.

2500 seems reasonable. I was aiming for 3000 but I guess I wasn't too far off. Yeah I do routine maintenance and oil changes every 2000. I haven't rode much this year as I have been very busy lately and also bought a new car recently.

I've never rode a 1000 but I was just wondering how much different they were.

I also have this urge to get a Grom, lol. Just something fun to ride here and there, but I also want to just stick with the sportbike so I can enjoy some Sundays out on the backroads.

I am also a one foot at a stop light kind of guy. But I guess the best way for me to find out the best bike is to just go to a dealership and just sit on a bunch of them.

59 minutes ago, Scene said:

But I guess the best way for me to find out the best bike is to just go to a dealership and just sit on a bunch of them.

This. Also ride as many things as your friends/ dealers will let you. It'll give you a better idea of what you like and dont like. 

Liters are fun. But can get you in over your head way quicker than a 600. 6's are more "fun" imo because I like going through the gears. On my old liter, I'd be in one gear, crank the throttle, and I'd be in the back of the car in front of me.

I like to use the following rule for owning motorcycles (even though I am not following it right now, but a lot of members here do). N + 1 where N is the number of motorcycles you currently have.

I just purchased a 2002 F4i for 3600. They are selling for anywhere between 3k to 4k. Its a Honda and expect it to last longer than a typical sport bike of its age... I lurked around on the CBR forum for some time now. There are several owners with 100k+ on there bikes. And one owner with an F4i with over 300k+, with video footage to prove it. If your hell bent on gwtin a new bike, that's all great, but that Honda you have still has a lot of life in it, unless its been abused. 

I'm very intimate with the F4i. Early models had cam chain tensioner issues. Other than that, bullet proof. Plus it's fun going just as fast if not faster on a bike while others are making payments and getting hit with full coverage premiums. 

7 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

I sure miss my F4i. Mine was an 01 with 30k miles,and was due for a cam chain tensioner when I sold it. Great bike, more comfortable ergos than an RR IMO. Height issues never bothered me, 30 inch inseam, you get used to it.

The manual cam chain tensioner upgrade was a very smart upgrade. When putting them on the track, high mount exhaust (power commander) and upgraded rearsets, steering dampener were a must. 

I had a 01 F4i that I sold around 30,000 miles because I got a 05 600rr. I just sold the 600rr this summer with 34,000 and picked up a 1000rr. Biggest difference between F4i and 600rr was the knee crunch. Not sure there is much difference in seat height. I did feel the 600rr was quicker and handled better. To me it's more of the same with the 1000rr. Handles better and even faster. 

So many people seem to think 30k is high miles and it's gonna die soon. Let's do some math on that. If you bought a bike new for $9k and you only got 30k miles out of it, you'd have paid basically .30 cents a mile to ride that bike. Plus gas, insurance, mods you did. Do your actual factory recommended services on time and fix things when they need fixed and keep the thing. You'll get so many more miles than 30k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, durk said:

I had a 01 F4i that I sold around 30,000 miles because I got a 05 600rr. I just sold the 600rr this summer with 34,000 and picked up a 1000rr. Biggest difference between F4i and 600rr was the knee crunch. Not sure there is much difference in seat height. I did feel the 600rr was quicker and handled better. To me it's more of the same with the 1000rr. Handles better and even faster. 

I raced a buddy back in the day on the 06 f4i and he was on an 05 600rr. I beat him 3 times in a row. He was lighter, but wasnt as experienced of a rider.

I bet that extra weight of the 1000rr makes it feel more planted in the corners. I had the opposite feeling to transition to when I went from the 1000rr to the 600rr. 

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

I did the majority of my learning on an 2006 f4i. I really liked that bike. Minus the banana seat.

Yea, Honda gay'd them up after the rr was established. Never understood why they offered both bikes for a few years. They never sold. 

I purchased one of the first ones in the area from Competition. To me FI on a 600 was a big deal. After putting 25k miles on the street it did ANOTHER three years Endurance racing. We never had a DNF because of a mechanical issue. Sold it to a local guy before leaving for Texas. Wonder how long he had it. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Vagabound said:

Yea, Honda gay'd them up after the rr was established. Never understood why they offered both bikes for a few years. They never sold. 

I purchased one of the first ones in the area from Competition. To me FI on a 600 was a big deal. After putting 25k miles on the street it did ANOTHER three years Endurance racing. We never had a DNF because of a mechanical issue. Sold it to a local guy before leaving for Texas. Wonder how long he had it. 

Where'd you live in Tejas? I lived outside of H-town in Sugarland for 10 years.

1 minute ago, TimTheAzn said:

Where'd you live in Tejas? I lived outside of H-town in Sugarland for 10 years.

Did a few years in Keller (Fort Worth) then finished in Cypress (Houston). Houston was really a great place outside of three months. (June-July-August). 

13 minutes ago, Vagabound said:

Did a few years in Keller (Fort Worth) then finished in Cypress (Houston). Houston was really a great place outside of three months. (June-July-August). 

I have absolutely no idea how I was a kid and lived down there (rode bikes everywhere, ran around, played sports.) I'd die in the summer if I had to go back. All the humidity from the Gulf, but none of the breeze. I did love living down there, loved the people, the diversity. I've been told I wouldnt recognize it now. (It's been a little over a decade since I've been back.)

28 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I did love living down there, loved the people, the diversity. I've been told I wouldnt recognize it now. (It's been a little over a decade since I've been back.)

Yes, diversity. Something that needs to happen on OR. ( yea, gotta stir the pot a bit). My community had many Asian, Indian, black and Hispanics on just one block.  My kids haven't had to deal with the racial crap yet.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Vagabound said:

Yes, diversity. Something that needs to happen on OR. ( yea, gotta stir the pot a bit). My community had many Asian, Indian, black and Hispanics on just one block.  My kids haven't had to deal with the racial crap yet.  

I didnt really experience racism up here. It's just more of the whole, lack of diversity. People just didnt grow up with it as they did down there so its not as "normal".

Biggest thing I've noticed is women arent as inclined to date asian men as they were down south. :dunno:

7 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I didnt really experience racism up here. It's just more of the whole, lack of diversity. People just didnt grow up with it as they did down there so its not as "normal".

Biggest thing I've noticed is women arent as inclined to date asian men as they were down south. :dunno:

Well since this thread is jacked anyway...

I grew up in South Lorain County. I was one of two minorities in the whole school. You ready for this? Sure everyone will get a big laugh. I hated Taco Bell simply because of ONE commercial. Last four years of high school all I heard was, "Yo Taco, run for the border!"  I'm actually Peurto Rican so technically I swam. Now I can laugh about it. But back then, I'd throw down a bunch. Only three suspensions! Like you I was also adopted into a white family. 

But being Asian must suck ass. That community is tight and I'm sure you don't fit in with the culture. And for women---not to stereo type but your fucked! Just become a millionaire. Lots of gold diggers out there! Money wins over penis size every time. ( Joke, please don't get butthurt, I also poked fun at myself). 

• Upvote 1