ISO: Cheap enduro

max power

Looking for a mechanically sound beater enduro. 

Especially interested in DR650 or XR650 or  XR400 or WR

But will consider others if the price is right.

Must be street legal and clean title

Whatchu got?

Edited by max power

13 hours ago, Casper said:

:wtf: 

Nobody to ride with anymore so I'm looking for something I can ride on the local back roads.   The FZ isn't any fun on Bubby roads. 

Wish you still had yours.  Lots of cool Single lane roads down here.

Seen one pop up on FB the other day that said it was a project bike, so I continued reading and it said it need a frame and the bottom of the motor had a crack in the case. So was like in other words you have a basket of parts? :lol:

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

On 2/1/2017 at 9:53 PM, ScubaCinci said:

Just found this on there in fact

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/5981356716.html

Thanks man but I'm looking in the 2000 and under category.

unless it's super minty and low miles but even then 2500 is probably tops.

That's why I said solid beater. Not concerned with how pretty it is because it's going to be ugly when I'm done with it.   

More concerned that it's been well-maintained

Edited by max power

21 hours ago, Ron505 said:

http://louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/5972819778.html

No mention of a title though....????

Ha, I just saw that one as well and was going to post it. XR650L's are street legal from the factory so unless somewhere along the way the title was lost and resissued as an off-road vehicle, it should be good to go.

Ohio is one of the easiest states to street title an off-road vehicle so don't let that stop you. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ScubaCinci said:

Ha, I just saw that one as well and was going to post it. XR650L's are street legal from the factory so unless somewhere along the way the title was lost and resissued as an off-road vehicle, it should be good to go.

Ohio is one of the easiest states to street title an off-road vehicle so don't let that stop you. 

The asking price is in line as long as there aren't any surprises to disqualify it from being street legal.  I always pause a little when I see an overbore because that means someone went out of their way to add power, and not just with the cheap mods (lifting the needle, richening the idle circuit, etc.).  If they did it right and used quality components, I wouldn't worry, but there are a lot of carb butchers and shit kits out there that could spell heartache later.  Don't commit to buying until you hear it start cold, warm up and ride at all RPMs and you go through all the gears on a test ride.  A bike this age will have been through plenty.

I have a 1991 250cc model overbored to 280cc and like the XR650L, it' solid, has plenty of power for its intended use and is cheap to buy parts for as long as there aren't any frame or bottom end problems.  Service intervals are long, so they're easy to maintain and the 650 is plenty strong for both single track and highway.  Neither are comfortable for long road rides and they have reputations for being cold blooded - my XR250L can hardly be kickstarted under 45-50 degrees.

Just now, ScubaCinci said:

The great news is, I think the XRL is pretty much unchanged since 1993 so parts are plentiful and generally cheap. Very easy to work on too...no valve shims and easy to access. I hate valve shims. 

Me too.  They're supposedly more stable but man, they're a PIA when you don't own the exact shim you need.  I'd rather spend 20 extra minutes getting the nuts adjusted just right than calculating and hunting down shims for a day (or more if you can't buy them locally).  That said, I had an oh-shit moment last fall when the previous owner didn't torque the nuts down enough.  One intake ran completely off and another intake ran half way up the post.  Thankfully the one nut dropped inertly into the valve cover, and XR engines tough as tanks.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I'm putting my street-legal '91 XR250L up for $1500 soon.  Has aggressive new tires and heavy duty tubes, new steering bearings, fresh valve adjustments, new fluids, 280cc overbore kit, mikuni pumper flat slide carb, 3 gallon Clarke tank, trail gearing, white brothers exhaust and adjustable alloy brake and clutch perches and levers.

She's kick only, seeps a tiny bit of oil at the rocker cover gasket and resists starting below 50 degrees, but once warm, pulls strong and does biways into Wayne no problem.  Let me know if you want pics before an ad goes up in a week or so. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...