Fall Gap Trip 2016

Tonik

Because I'm using a stupid iOS iPhone (as some would say) I can't seem to import the routes into Sygic. I've tried to sync with iTunes, adding the routes to the available files for that app, added them to iCloud and Dropbox and setting the app accordingly but it never sees them. I have them in the .itf format out of the ITN app. If anyone has successfuly imported routes using an iPhone, let me know.

And for the Android users...I don't want to hear it. :thefinger:

Garmin doesn't like the routes made on Google unless you do A LOT of waypoints, otherwise it re-routes where it can for what it deems as the best routes.

I recreated the routes in Garmin Basecamp and created the accompanying GPX route files for them. I loaded them on my Zumo 660 and they seem oK. Note, the start and end points for each leg are just the relative spots near the start/end locations - not the actual hotel addresses, etc. Basecamp is shitbox software and it was an extra step that I was afraid would fuck up the route I had created. Store the actual addresses separately in your GPS if need be as posted in the OP.

It'd be nice if someone else loaded these up and did some spot checking to make sure I didn't fuck up...it's a bit painstaking to do.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3641568/GPS/OR_Fall_Gap_Trip.zip

Edited by ScubaCinci

Sell the Garmin and buy a used Android on Swappa.  Should have plenty of money left to buy Sygic again for Android.  Just run it off WiFi.  At least that way you will have one device that isn't useless.  Lots of Androids are waterproof too that should be a treat for you.

On iOS you can import POI's but not routes. I found a 2015 post from someone who had contacted them about it and they "are working on it". It has nothing to do with security, importing routes simply doesn't work on the iPhone yet because they haven't built the functionality. I have applications that allow me to move files onto the phone in whatever folder I want and iTunes is moving the files over as designed, I can see them in the directory. Yes, Apple sucks and Andriod rulez blah blah. I should've looked into it more first.

Doesn't matter, I have them loaded in my Garmin and now anyone else can too.

Did that as I thought maybe there was a particular naming convention required. It never creates a discrete file for the route. It seems to update a metadata file used by the app but I didn't start digging into that...not worth the time and effort to start interrogating that file and potentially hacking it to insert the routes. 

That meta data file sounds like the file it uses as you navigate..  It tracks your progress so you can exit the app at lunch time, start it back up and pick up where you left off.  Are you sure you are putting the files in the right place?  On (vastly superior) Android it is   \Sygic\Res\itinerary

That is not the same folder structure used on the iPhone (there is no itinerary folder) nor for what it sets up on Dropbox when used for the Cloud service. Yes, I did go ahead and create the itinerary folder and try it that way. It's not my first rodeo...it's just not set up to import routes on iOS yet. The fact that this folder doesn't exist by default supports this. I spent way more timing fucking with it than I should have...it just bugs me when something doesn't work when I think it should. I'm generally good at making things like this work so that also bothers me but I also have a trip to the Caymans in a few weeks to prepare for.

All in all, I'd rather use the Garmin anyway so I can listen to audio from my phone without naggigation interrupting all the time. I can still use the app to get from point A to B in a pinch without a cell signal and I've saved off the hotel addresses on there already. It just would have saved me time to import your routes from Google.

FYI - when I re-created your routes in Basecamp, I noticed a few spots where it takes a weird or unnecessary route when getting from one road to another. It's probably the way Sygic interpreted the route from Google between the given the waypoints and it's minor stuff. Had I not been recreating it, I would not have seen them.

I'm pretty sure there were some like that last year (I remember some times when you took a different path than my GPS said) and I'm sure you are aware of the 'anomalies'. I only call it out for others so that if they are following the route and either notice we are deviating slightly or wondering why we took the route we did.

48 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

I'm pretty sure there were some like that last year (I remember some times when you took a different path than my GPS said) and I'm sure you are aware of the 'anomalies'. I only call it out for others so that if they are following the route and either notice we are deviating slightly or wondering why we took the route we did.

Yea, rarely does it import the first time from Google to Sygic correctly.  Always a few minor changes....I just add a few more waypoints to google and do it again.  Sometimes it can be a bit of a PITA, and I have had to split one of my Colorado routes into to 2 parts because Google has a limit to the number of waypoints.

BTW, I got a Sena now.  So be warned, if anyone tries to pair with me I will shoot them.  I know a lot of you have Sena's so instead of carrying my usual 5 shot 38 I will be carrying my 16 shot FN 45.  With an extra clip.

• Upvote 2

:lol:

The intercom does come in handy...but you've managed to get along without it so far so I guess you'll make it without it ;)

I've honestly only used the intercom function one time and that was on this trip last year with Tim so he could tell me he was going to zip around our slow asses and rip it up. :D

Edited by ScubaCinci

54 minutes ago, blue72beetle said:

Oh dang. I need to check off some states on the new bike. Lemme see if I can get days off work...

@2talltim Still need some one to split a room with?

I think I was bunking with @Danimal, but I think @JustinNck1 was looking for a bunk mate too. Maybe if you and @Danimal want to get rooms to split since you already know each other then I can split them with @JustinNck1 since I know him. I dont really care how ever you bubbys want to work it out.

Edited by 2talltim

40 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

I think I was bunking with @Danimal, but I think @JustinNck1 was looking for a bunk mate too. Maybe if you and @Danimal want to get rooms to split since you already know each other then I can split them with @JustinNck1 since I know him. I dont really care how ever you bubbys want to work it out.

That works for me. I don't have reservations yet.

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

BTW, I got a Sena now.  So be warned, if anyone tries to pair with me I will shoot them.  I know a lot of you have Sena's so instead of carrying my usual 5 shot 38 I will be carrying my 16 shot FN 45.  With an extra magazine.

FTFY

22 hours ago, 2talltim said:

I'm still looking for someone to split room costs with.

2 hours ago, CBBaron said:

I'm still looking for someone to split room costs with.

Little off topic getting away from the talk about rooms. But I'm curious on how the 400 will keep up with a pack of touring and full blown sport bikes. I don't want to steer anyone away from this ride so please don't take it that way. I just know most of the bubbys in this group and we/they will be hauling the mail most of the time, and will be some 80mph stretches of freeway. I just don't want to see you get left behind or folks feeling obligated to wait and people getting butt hurt and all that jazz. I'm sure we can work out gas stops for you but extended stops are probably not going to happen. Not trying to be a dick here just genuinely concerned about this and want to make sure you and everyone else has a good time with out worry. If you feel confident you and your machine can handle it I'd love for you to prove me wrong and shut my whore mouth. If you do just make sure you have back up plans to get to the hotels every night if you loose the group.

Edited by 2talltim

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

Little off topic getting away from the talk about rooms. But I'm curious on how the 400 will keep up with a pack of touring and full blown sport bikes. I don't want to steer anyone away from this ride so please don't take it that way. I just know most of the bubbys in this group and we/they will be hauling the mail most of the time, and will be some 80mph stretches of freeway. I just don't want to see you get left behind or folks feeling obligated to wait and people getting butt hurt and all that jazz. I'm sure we can work out gas stops for you but extended stops are probably not going to happen. Not trying to be a dick here just genuinely concerned about this and want to make sure you and everyone else has a good time with out worry. If you feel confident you and your machine can handle it I'd love for you to prove me wrong and shut my whore mouth. If you do just make sure you have back up plans to get to the hotels every night if you loose the group.

I'm a little concerned about keeping up, but much more so about my ability to endure riding an unfaired bike with a narrow seat for that many hours. 

I know I won't stay with the group on the freeway. The 400 will do 80 but I don't like holding the thumper at nearly WOT for long stretches. 70 is more my choice for a freeway cruising speed. However I think the SM will handle the twisties as well or better than any touring bike and can keep up with any sane speeds on 2 lane roads. Worst case I will have the routes in my GPS and meet you all at the hotel :D I usually ride solo so its no big deal to me if I can't hang.

I think the only stretch of freeway we have is at the end of the first day. I will just let the big bikes stretch their legs and take my own time to get to the destination. Really I'm just looking for an excuse to go ride some great roads down in that area. I won't be disappointed if I can't stay with the big bikes and I hope noone will make any special effort for me. I know I am choosing a somewhat inappropriate tool for the task so I do not want that choice to impact others.

Craig

• Upvote 1

• Tonik unpinned this topic