Fall Gap Trip 2016

Tonik

I'm all booked for hotels...time scheduled off work, etc. Now we wait.

I'm heading on a car trip down there this weekend like my wife and friends do every year and the weather is supposed to be spectacular. I expect the same in October. :challengeaccepted:

Yeah, on the way down last year it was pouring as I hit the gap...leaves everywhere and I was fully loaded with luggage etc. By far my worst ride on there... I had some slippage here and there - enough so that my ass was puckered the whole time. The bonus was that I saw very few other vehicles and I was going slow enough to pose "D

129Slayer-small.jpg

5 hours ago, Tonik said:

Ok, still in.  Meet spot is just off 77 near Beckley at noon.

BP Gas Station.

2001 Robert C Byrd Dr

MacArthur, WV 25873

welcome back ToniK, this is real tonik we been missing. All business no banter full of hate. :)

on a side note, I fully belong to casper group now, but if there is even a 1% chance I can get to make this trip I will take it and make it work. Jerry has 1000 words of appreciation and respect with how you run the trip. He said its like a swiss clock work with no headaches.

Yep, bring layers you can peel off midday when it gets warmer. I bring 2 sets of gloves too, one vented and one thermal/rain proof even though I have heated grips. I wish I had room for both rain and vented boots but that's just too much to carry on top of everything else.

Those running GoPro's should bring and use the vented case...the temp changes even midday due to elevation changes are enough to fog that bad boy up. I lost some good footage last year to a foggy case.

On a side note, I saw Garmin announced a new action camera yesterday that looks a bit like the GoPro. Lots of nice features like voice activation but no word on pricing yet. If you've thought about picking up a GoPro you might wait and check it out.

I am most likely in :banana: Will test out my riding endurance at the EPIC ride but expect I can survive :) Also I reserve the right to cancel if weather looks miserable, I expect that many miles on a DRZ to involve considerable pain an suffering but the ride is worth it. If the weather is miserable the equation changes :(

Plan to book my hotels today or tomorrow unless someone else already has and is looking to split costs. PM me if you want to split rooms, non smoking please.

On the road by sunrise sounds good to me. Its my normal schedule anyways. I'll bring layers. Packing is going to be tricky I don't currently have much luggage for the DRZ and dont want to load her down with too much. 

Craig

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

Yep, bring layers you can peel off midday when it gets warmer. I bring 2 sets of gloves too, one vented and one thermal/rain proof even though I have heated grips. I wish I had room for both rain and vented boots but that's just too much to carry on top of everything else.

Those running GoPro's should bring and use the vented case...the temp changes even midday due to elevation changes are enough to fog that bad boy up. I lost some good footage last year to a foggy case.

On a side note, I saw Garmin announced a new action camera yesterday that looks a bit like the GoPro. Lots of nice features like voice activation but no word on pricing yet. If you've thought about picking up a GoPro you might wait and check it out.

I too have been bitten by the foggy case issue. Lost a whole weekend of footage down there. 

I had told a few others already but I was just down there in the car and the Cherohala Skyway has been freshly blacktopped on the NC side (they were done but edge lines weren't painted yet). This is on day 3 of the itinerary for those not familiar with the area.

I had told a few others already but I was just down there in the car and the Cherohala Skyway has been freshly blacktopped on the NC side (they were done but edge lines weren't painted yet). This is on day 3 of the itinerary for those not familiar with the area.

Also heard from a quite a few on the TOTD FB page that it is real slick and oily and probably will be for a few months. Just like any fresh paved road it will be that way till it completely cured and seasoned. But I heard they did a wonderful job and it is as smooth as glass.

• Tonik unpinned this topic