Sturgis, SD

blue-yamaR6s

Just got back from spending all of last week in Sturgis, SD and surrounding area riding the roads and twisties out there.  Quite epic roads and for me the trip of a lifetime.  Went with a friend from work and some of his friends.  Seven of us total.  Met up with 2 more guys while there for 2 of the days.  Purposely went the week before the Sturgis Rally to beat the traffic and the price increases.  Rode 1,000 miles of roads there in 5 days time.  Had a blast doing some canyon carving and sight seeing too.  Custer State Park and Mount Rushmore Roads were awesome.  Went to Devils Tower one day and down through Spearfish Canyon.  Deadwood was a neat place as well as Hill City and Custer.  Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road were epic.  Traffic started getting heavy the last few days there.

Overall, it was a great trip and would do it again in the future sometime.  I would highly recommend it but not during the rally week.  

• Upvote 3

I went out there when I was younger and was amazed by everything. Pretty sure I was there the week before bike week as well, still thousands of bikes. I have been wanting to go back ever since. Did you catch a lot of BS out there for riding something other than a Harley

7 minutes ago, AndonD454 said:

Did you catch a lot of BS out there for riding something other than a Harley

I have been out there twice, once in the spring and once the week before the rally.  Never got any crap, other than the usual nose in the air won't talk to you bullshit you get from some of them no matter where you are.

10 hours ago, AndonD454 said:

Did you catch a lot of BS out there for riding something other than a Harley

I caught more ribbing since I was the only sport bike from my own group, but all in good fun.  Didn't care.  I could out run them all anyway.  So many bikes and more came while we were there.  Everywhere we went there were lots of bikes.  Everyone seemed really friendly and we met several Harley riders that were friendly. Waved at lots of them but quite honestly, the wave was too often to catch everyone.  Had a great time and the roads were what we went out for.  So many good roads there to ride.

We did a 13 day, 4,000 mile, 9 state trip to Badlands and Black Hills area last week of June / first week of July this summer.  Stayed in Deadwood for 6 nights and did day trips from there.  2 couples on 2 touring bikes.

Did Needles Highway (twice), Iron Mountain Road (3x), Spearfish Canyon (twice), Nemo Road, Vanocker Canyon Road, and Custer Wildlife loop were great.  Sturgis was preparing for an AMA motocross race July 4th weekend (through the middle of town), but it was fairly quiet.

We also Clipped the corner of Montana on the way to Devils Tower.  Came back through Nebraska.  Aside from Scottsbluff, what a boring state to ride across......