What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Replaced front brakes and air filter on the Virago yesterday. A mouse had got inside the housing and chewed up the filter. I left him a mothball inside the housing so he doesn't try to move back in.

This morning I saw the headlight on in the garage and discovered ignition, fuel pump and headlight were probably on half the night.
Pulled ALL the fuses, key off, kill switch off, and everything is still hot. Definitely a short somewhere. Had to just disconnect battery for now until more time for diagnosis.

Probably the same mouse that ate the filter also has a taste for wiring.

Edited by XV1000

24 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Now you check  https://www.jakewilson.com and see what you could have saved..lol

$5.58 plus sales tax would be my savings.  It's worth that to me to patronize a local brick & mortar store that also fills my needs for many other items.  If nobody ever buys from a storefront, bike shops will go the way of camera stores.

• Upvote 2

On 7/22/2017 at 3:52 PM, Isaac's Papa said:

I can chew some miles, especially now that I'm in better physical condition. I don't even feel sore after 400+ miles on the Supersport these days. It's pretty cool to notice the increased endurance, and I was doing 500 mile days (all two-lane) when I was my heaviest. Granted, that's on the Multistrada. I did the SS1k on the Multistrada a few years ago. I just never turned in my paperwork. (too fat and lazy) 

I'd like to do it again, but I don't know about multiple days. I was pretty mentally fatigued after the SS1k. To the point of almost crashing because I forgot to put my feet down at a stop light. I don't care to think about the preparation involved in the big rally rides. I mean, you get to train on a motorcycle, so that's cool. The rest of it seems terrible. 

I've done a bunch of 1k days and several back to back, but never sent in the paperwork.  At least a half dozen I did per the rules and kept a log and receipts, but managed to screw up something, like an ending receipt or making sure one of the required stops has a time stamp.  My understanding is that the IBA has a pretty open mind about the SS and I'd have enough other supporting evidence (like my spot track) that it be no problem, but I never sent them in.  I'll have to one of these days just to prove I'm not completely full of shit.  I'd also like to do some of the bigger rides like bun burners and coast to coast.  They won't document those until you've done a SS.  

3 minutes ago, PhilD'oh! said:

I've done a bunch of 1k days and several back to back, but never sent in the paperwork.  At least a half dozen I did per the rules and kept a log and receipts, but managed to screw up something, like an ending receipt or making sure one of the required stops has a time stamp.  My understanding is that the IBA has a pretty open mind about the SS and I'd have enough other supporting evidence (like my spot track) that it be no problem, but I never sent them in.  I'll have to one of these days just to prove I'm not completely full of shit.  I'd also like to do some of the bigger rides like bun burners and coast to coast.  They won't document those until you've done a SS.  

My end receipt was bad, no timestamp. But the hotel receipt was time stamped on check in so that saved me. Yea, I hear on the 1k they will bend a bit. After that they are more strict.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Spent WAY more money on Sunny than I should have. She's a bit rough around the edges and needs work. Carb may need rebuilt ( or may just drop $400 and install a FCR carb and he done with that)

And only Doc will understand why her name is Sunny ( Chinabike's name is Merry lol) besides being Suzuki yellow

so its confirmed which ship goes to grand line :) 

you need to get a sticker/decal  like this up front 

a1f21c396889e265beb5ab8b4cfb16e2.jpg

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, B-Mac said:

Replaced my stock Front Fork with a set of progressively wound springs that will handle my heavy old fat encrusted body frame. Also went with 10W fluid.

Fork%20maint%202.jpg

Nice ManCave!  

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Looked at it through my garage window after my run this morning.... really need to get out on it soon. Lots of stress and uncertainty lately.

This weekend I'm looking at getting out on the new wheels. Was thinking Hocking but if Cleveland/Northerners are looking to ride maybe we can meet at Otsego and do that route or something instead. /shrug

15 minutes ago, Danimal said:

how does one "get ready" for cleaning and lubing a chain?

• Set aside an open area?
  • Stack clean rags next to said clean area?
  • Shake the chain lube can well until the ball rattles easily and then hope it stays that way?
  • Plan your ride around places that aren't dirty?

Curious minds need to know!

I "get ready" by simply admiring my shaft!

Well I was remodeling a bathroom yesterday getting ready means turning on the compressor and blowing all the saw dust out of the garage as much as I can and finding Kerosene, rags, rearstand and chain lube. 

Wish I had a motorcycle shed in the back or a shed for all the tools to keep the dust out of my garage. 

Made my way through SEO on it. I took a guy that is local to me on the trip. About 3 hrs into the trip he laid his bike down. I was leading and I felt terrible. I gave him the ride your ride speech and all but felt bad that he went down. Thankfully the only thing that really got damaged was his right mirror. He banged his knee but seemed fine. I give him credit he wanted to finish the trip even after I offered to just to just call it a day and head home. It took us 12 hrs to ride what I would probably finish in 10 hours, but he was understandably a little gun shy. All things considered it was still a good day. 

Sorry to hear that news Durk. I was more fortunate today.

Took a 275 mile break in ride out to Marietta for lunch and hit a few roads. Had to stay at or below 4k rpm so was shifting like a mad man up and down the G/B. 78E-377S-555S-676E, Lunch at the Marietta Brewing Co. 26N-&8E-536 S&N-78W-Home. Great day, lite traffic and bike’s suspension set up was spot on. Just need a few more miles to free the motor up a bit. 536 is a hoot!

Marietta.jpg

Edit.jpg

• Upvote 1

@B-Mac new bike? I ran the same route to Marietta. Followed your route out of Marietta as well minus 536. I originally planned to hit 255 and 536 but after my buddies spill we really struggled to make time. Glad you had a good ride. Hope you can join us on the 5th. It would be great to ride with u again. 

• Upvote 1