What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

2 hours ago, CurbedSedition said:

I'm a novice at working on my own bike. Most extensive work I've done has been oil changes and replaced the battery. What should be done to the chain to keep it healthy?

All I did was got back tire off ground put in neutral and checked the teeth out the sprocket to make sure there is no broken teeth or weird wear patterns. After that looked good then I covered in kerosene really good and scrubbed the hell out of all sides of the chain, a little more kerosene then started drying it really good with rag until it is dry to the touch. Then lubed it. If I found messed up sprocket I'd replace chain and both sprockets. I've dealt more with dirt bike maintenance but now that I have a street bike again I need to start keeping up with maintenance as I hate giving anyone money for something I am capable of doing myself. May have a different perspective if I hit the lottery.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

Rode to work this morning, nice brisk 52 degrees. Sitting here looking at camping gear. The idea of moto-camping sounds like fun, but camping gear selection is just overwhelming.

Start with the cheap to mid level stuff.   You can upgrade as you go along.   I bought basic Coleman stuff, and it has been good enough.  I have a friend that has top of the line camping stuff, but he rarely uses it. 

4 hours ago, CurbedSedition said:

I'm a novice at working on my own bike. Most extensive work I've done has been oil changes and replaced the battery. What should be done to the chain to keep it healthy?

Remember...It is far better for a chain to be too loose than too tight...within reason.  AND, there is no sense in lubing a dirty chain, if it is an O-ring/X-ring chain.

Edited by Qman
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

Rode to work this morning, nice brisk 52 degrees. Sitting here looking at camping gear. The idea of moto-camping sounds like fun, but camping gear selection is just overwhelming.

Moto camping is awesome and I felt overwhelmed getting ready for my trip too.  I needed a small tent since my others are huge and a sleeping bag.  Look for stuff that packs small and is on sale/clearance.  There's a ton of stuff to choose from...

46 minutes ago, tall_tracy said:

Moto camping is awesome and I felt overwhelmed getting ready for my trip too.  I needed a small tent since my others are huge and a sleeping bag.  Look for stuff that packs small and is on sale/clearance.  There's a ton of stuff to choose from...

Tent is most important...Hard to beat this one for the $$:

http://www.campsaver.com/kelty-salida-2-tent-2-person-3-season

Next most important is the sleeping pad.  Here's what I use:

https://www.lightspeedoutdoors.com/sleep-pad-with-pillow-blue.html

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Qman said:

Next most important is the sleeping pad.  Here's what I use:

https://www.lightspeedoutdoors.com/sleep-pad-with-pillow-blue.html

This is the one part I wasn't 100% sure on. Do I go with an air mattress or a sleeping pad? I've seen good opinions on both options.

1 hour ago, JustinNck1 said:

This is the one part I wasn't 100% sure on. Do I go with an air mattress or a sleeping pad? I've seen good opinions on both options.

No question...go with Self-inflator pad.  Unless its always gonna be hot at night, you need insulation between you and ground.  An air mattress with no insulator in it will suck the heat out of you like a bad date.!....plus, an air mattress is more susceptible to temperature changes...as temps drop, so does the pressure.   The only downside of the self inflator pad is it can be bulky to pack.

I bought bike camping gear, all lightweight stuff. It doubles as backpack gear. Check the "packed" size of tents, many have poles that are very long. Not sure how to get that on a bike. Not many packed short and small tents to chose from. A couple of the camping websites are good about listing that packed size. Make a list of which ones seem like it will fit on your bike. I went with a mil-spec "coyote" solo tent. Hard to find. Also picked up an older model Eureka two person tent that packs pretty short. Got both foam mat and mil-spec air mattress, but have no opinion yet. Except the foam mat won't fit inside anything. It has to roll up, strap tight, and hang somewhere. Figured I might make a water-proof bag to fit that. Note: the solo tent and the air mattress actually fit inside a single compression bag, about 8"dia by 12" long. Didn't really compress that, I did for the sleeping bag and a little pillow. Wait till you try to pick out camp cooking gear for the bike. lol, good luck. And yes, self-inflating. Also, one of those silver survival blankets works well on the ground, as a heat reflector. Well, so does pine needles...

• Upvote 1

New tires on the meanstreak today. Also done in an effort to put some air under this bitch. Went up a couple sizes to fill the fenders. Had to let the air out of the rear and cover it in crisco to get it in there. Yet to see how it handles with those balloons on there. 

IMG_2718.JPG

Rebuilt the front forks, developed a small leak on the Dragon trip. Made my own seal driver. PVC coupler that was just big enough to go over the inner tube. Then I Dremel'd the OD down so it would fit into the outer tube. Then a section of PVC to use as a battering ram.

Cost me $4.50.

IMG_20170702_152118.jpg

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Tonik said:

Rebuilt the front forks, developed a small leak on the Dragon trip. Made my own seal driver. PVC coupler that was just big enough to go over the inner tube. Then I Dremel'd the OD down so it would fit into the outer tube. Then a section of PVC to use as a battering ram.

Cost me $4.50.

IMG_20170702_152118.jpg

I got a few PVC seal drivers as well. Works great.

1 hour ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

You do know that air is an insulator right? 

You do know that air conducts heat rather well...just ask your radiator.  When air is trapped, and cannot  readily transfer heat via conduction, as in closed cell foam, it becomes a good insulator. An internally open air mattress will circulate air from your body to the ground and back and you'll freeze your ass off!

Edited by Qman