Jump to content

What did you do to your bike today?


JustinNck1

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Danimal said:

Hah

 

AB03A6E3-3985-4EA9-8D6E-52C72D4D9007.jpeg

Looks like Deal's Gap in 1899.

 

Took the R1 down for its out of state inspection today. Found out that the front wheel will not stay on the ground pretty much no matter what. Hooligan bike for sure.

Edited by what
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Installed Givi handguard extensions for the GS. The only other mod has been a handlebar riser, which was absolutely necessary for my short arms. Taking it to NJ tomorrow for work and coming home sometime Wednesday. I will bring my electric liner for the ride home. Forecast is calling for snow and high of 30 for Wednesday. 

Fancy Beemer, don't fail me now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Pauly said:

Installed Givi handguard extensions for the GS. The only other mod has been a handlebar riser, which was absolutely necessary for my short arms. Taking it to NJ tomorrow for work and coming home sometime Wednesday. I will bring my electric liner for the ride home. Forecast is calling for snow and high of 30 for Wednesday. 

Fancy Beemer, don't fail me now. 

those handguards will be nice for the cold

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, what said:

those handguards will be nice for the cold

I took the Cruze due to the weather. A 7 hour commute in constant rain was not remotely appealing. Oh, well... 

The handguards are sweet and definitely going to make a difference. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pauly said:

I took the Cruze due to the weather. A 7 hour commute in constant rain was not remotely appealing. Oh, well... 

The handguards are sweet and definitely going to make a difference. 

Yeah weather is pretty crappy but you ADV freaks seem to thrive on pain. I guess you haven't fully transitioned yet. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

I would have done the same.

I-80 in the rain and fog is bad enough in the car. Between the 18-wheelers playing "slowest up the hill" and the PA drivers having zero clue how to operate an accelerator, I would have been on high alert all day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, what said:

Yeah weather is pretty crappy but you ADV freaks seem to thrive on pain. I guess you haven't fully transitioned yet. 

I haven't leveled-up in gear. I hope to put more miles on the GS next year than the Cruze, but I will need to invest in a quality touring suit. My Joe Rocket is nice for day romps, but it falls short for practical touring. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Pauly said:

I haven't leveled-up in gear. I hope to put more miles on the GS next year than the Cruze, but I will need to invest in a quality touring suit. My Joe Rocket is nice for day romps, but it falls short for practical touring. 

If you are looking for a challenge, take a look at the Kentucky Adventure Trail.   The GS is pretty much built for it, but polish up your off road skills first.

I did about half of it a few years ago (the whole loop is about 1000 miles, IIRC).

It was fun and challenging even though some stretches were a little above my off roads skills.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

If you are looking for a challenge, take a look at the Kentucky Adventure Trail.   The GS is pretty much built for it, but polish up your off road skills first.

I did about half of it a few years ago (the whole loop is about 1000 miles, IIRC).

It was fun and challenging even though some stretches were a little above my off roads skills.

You have to break out any pivot wheelies?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

You have to break out any pivot wheelies?

I went through water that was higher than the air intake on the CB500x.  I had to go fast enough to create a wake.   If I would have lost momentum, it would have sucked water into the intake, and that CB likely would have been abandoned in KY.

At one point, I had so much mud stuck to the tires that the front wheel wouldn't turn.

There was 500 foot(?) incline that was about a 35-40% grade where the trail was made up of rocks the size of baseballs.  I made it about half way up before I lost all forward traction and was just shooting rocks downhill with my rear tire.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

I went through water that was higher than the air intake on the CB500x.  I had to go fast enough to create a wake.   If I would have lost momentum, it would have sucked water into the intake, and that CB likely would have been abandoned in KY.

At one point, I had so much mud stuck to the tires that the front wheel wouldn't turn.

There was 500 foot(?) incline that was about a 35-40% grade where the trail was made up of rocks the size of baseballs.  I made it about half way up before I lost all forward traction and was just shooting rocks downhill with my rear tire.

Sounds kinda fun. I'd probably want something more like what Danimal is riding for those kinds of trails. Lighter :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Sounds kinda fun. I'd probably want something more like what Danimal is riding for those kinds of trails. Lighter :)

After his mods and luggage Dan's DR650 is not really light anymore. Maybe lighter than a GSA but that is not saying much :D

I'm hoping to do the KAT next summer but will be riding a DRZ400, I do plan on riding the "hard" sections, so there is that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pauly said:

Everyone knows the 2018 BMW R1200 GS Adventure is the only bike capable of such feats. 

And those that know usually just say "GSA", the rest of the description is redundant 🤣

My coworker who rides a GSA thinks the same thing...until he was asking for help picking it up :D

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

I would not add any of the luggage. Didn't think I was going to have to add that, but here we are.

@TimTheAzn doesnt get it....the only way to ADV is with a full set of lockable Aluminum Panniers, loaded with every conceivable camping convenience and a tool kit to rebuild everything on the bike except the part that will actually fail. 😂

 

  • Beer 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CBBaron said:

And those that know usually just say "GSA", the rest of the description is redundant 🤣

My coworker who rides a GSA thinks the same thing...until he was asking for help picking it up :D

You say redundant like it is a bad thing? 

I already dropped it. Had to call in for reinforcements to get it back up. Then I watched a YouTube video and realized I was lifting it wrong. Live and learn. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CBBaron said:

After his mods and luggage Dan's DR650 is not really light anymore. Maybe lighter than a GSA but that is not saying much :D

I'm hoping to do the KAT next summer but will be riding a DRZ400, I do plan on riding the "hard" sections, so there is that.

Keep an eye on the weather if you attempt the KAT.  There are some low areas that are prone to flooding.  The water can get too deep to pass very quickly. 

In some sections, if the clay/mud gets too wet you won't be able to get enough traction to ride up the inclines.  We had a GS1200, Triumph Tiger, GS800, and my CB500x all get stuck on the same hill.  We had to back the bikes down the hill in defeat.  And that was only after about 20 minutes of moderate rain.

The KAT is the most challenging thing I've attempted on 2 wheels.  I'd do it again, but only if there was no rain in the forecast 😄

 

edit...I had the least off road experience in our group.  Even the guys that rode the KAT before struggled in the wet.  Every bike went down at least once after it rain started.

  

 

Edited by Tpoppa
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Pauly said:

I will offroad this bike, eventually. My main reason for buying it was three-fold:

1. The Whale is boring.

2. The GS is not.

3. I can almost afford it. 

There is longish offroad trail in Ohio called the TOT.   That's where @theroamr   and I started to develop some basic off road skills.  It's not very challenging (except for 1 or 2 sections), and you "probably" won't drop your bike 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...