What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

30 minutes ago, cptchaos said:

Installed the led license plate light and took it out for a spin. Checked pressure on the tires and both were way over the spec. PO must have had a reason, maybe not but now I know why the grip felt so weird in turns. 

What was it?

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Changed the rear tire. I had just purchased a new tire this week anticipating the current one only had a few hundred miles left. Rolled the bike in the garage last night and noticed a nail sticking out of the tread :(

So spent the evening mounting up the new tire. Only got 3000 miles on the Metzeler Sportec M7 on the rear of my DRZ. Seems awful short lifespan for such a light and low powered bike. 

Trying out a Power RS. The latest Power series comes in SM sizes and the DRZ OEM size is H rated which should warm up faster than the W rated models that most sportbike tires come in. The DRZ is not going to test the 168mph limit on a W rated tire :D

• Downvote 1

Added new grips and ram mount for my phone. Of course ordered one set of grips open ended and they sent a totally different color pair with closed ends. I being the impatient type already had the stock grips off and all surfaces ready for new grips so a little cutting and got them to fit so I can ride this weekend. Of course had to go for a spirited ride to make sure the grips would not bind on throttle side after the alteration. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, motocat12 said:

Some take that much to set the bead and never get deflated. how new were they? do they have balance weights or diy jobbied?

It's a 2012 and the tires are original. I didn't check the sidewall to see what the max pressure is but I think that's what the po may have referred to instead of the manual or sticker on the swingarm. 

Looks like from my research it is a known issue that Yamaha is looking into. If you accidentally try to start in gear with kickstand down or turning off with key or dropping kickstand it will cause the check engine light to come on. Only way to turn it off is take it too the dealer. They have my bike to check it but hoping it is something dumb like that so I can get it back Tuesday. My garage feels empty with no bike.

I took about two minutes to verify that the USB cable was the issue with my phone charging setup.  Once I swapped out the cable I spent the rest of the day working like a Hebrew slave child out in the yard.

16 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Took off the rear hugger/chain guard because it was rubbing on the tire after I changed the chain and sprockets. Not sure how re-installing it caused it to shift the way it did.

You must have f'd something up.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Danimal said:

the hugger is designed for SV rear end and 160 rear wheel/tire

Your SV is running a 180 width GSXR rear wheel

Under one of the mounting points on the chain cover area there was a steel band that extends up to keep it spread wider to fit the GSXR wheel.

(Tonik is right lol)

I saw that when I took it off, must have got bent in during re-installation. Dan, at this point you cant go anywhere, I'm forever going to have questions about how/what was done do this damn thing. I know better than to ask why.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Danimal said:

well the hugger was on the bike before I went to the wider wheel, so I had to adjust.

You're Asian

You'll figure it out

Theres so much custom stuff on this thing, everytime I do something to it theres always a surprise or something to be learned :lol:

Well I stripped the bike down yesterday to fix a valve cover gasket that's been leaking for about a year now. I love riding this old girl but I fucking  hate working under her bonnet. Hope the leak is fixed only time will tell, it was an all day job just getting to it and putting it all back together.

20170614_193838.thumb.jpg.8ce2d96a532880275ec80229a2ada143.jpg

20170614_193655.thumb.jpg.aaec4ca5885c57f8629f37b0185f225e.jpg

I moved my GPS mount from the handlebars to over the gauge cluster, using a homemade Ram type mount.  It really cleans it up and gives a much better view of everything.  I also updated my footpegs from stamped steel to cast, machined aluminum.  Much wider and more aggressive (too bad I'm not), plus rode about 200 miles.  Not a bad weekend.

Updated GPS Mount Tiger.jpg

UpdatedfootpegsTiger.jpg