What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

State 8? 2009 had abs as optional right? 

Doc do you have notes on every bike for sale in the area? I think somebody else recently purchased a bike and you knew exactly where it was from and you were quoting mileage or something about it as well if I remember correctly. 

Just now, durk said:

Doc do you have notes on every bike for sale in the area? I think somebody else recently purchased a bike and you knew exactly where it was from and you were quoting mileage or something about it as well if I remember correctly. 

Pre ride Insomnia and motorcycle ADD is a bad combo my friend. I ride 10X better when I get good night sleep hehehe 

Not all bikes, just some bikes I was keeping an eye on and reading about them, and then start thinking about them, then if it progresses to dreaming about them and the final stage is obsessive compulsive wanting them...... Bad if I progress to that state hehehe thank god 99% time it stops at reading and thinking :D 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NinjaDoc said:

Pre ride Insomnia and motorcycle ADD is a bad combo my friend. I ride 10X better when I get good night sleep hehehe 

Not all bikes, just some bikes I was keeping an eye on and reading about them, and then start thinking about them, then if it progresses to dreaming about them and the final stage is obsessive compulsive wanting them...... Bad if I progress to that state hehehe thank god 99% time it stops at reading and thinking :D 

You're welcome! I saved you from the evil mean Aprilia!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MSerfozo said:

Yup, an '01.  Bought it new and have been modding it since day 2. There's a photo here, in my intro.

Your signature says you have one too, but all I ever see you post about is the Honda project.

I've had my bandit for like 4 years, pretty much done modding it. Has 1100 katana cams, yosh exhaust, jetted up and k&n oval filters, timing advance, busa shock, I have a set of Sonic springs and some racetech gold valves to put in the forks if I ever get around to it. 

Your bike looks sharp, I've thought about going naked with mine, the plastics are pretty banged up. I'd end up going full retard with it tho and putting a koso gp style gauge cluster and some dual morimoto HID projectors. Also, I ride my bandit very fast and I like the wind protection from the fairing. 

1 hour ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

I've had my bandit for like 4 years, pretty much done modding it. Has 1100 katana cams, yosh exhaust, jetted up and k&n oval filters, timing advance, busa shock, I have a set of Sonic springs and some racetech gold valves to put in the forks if I ever get around to it. 

Your bike looks sharp, I've thought about going naked with mine, the plastics are pretty banged up. I'd end up going full retard with it tho and putting a koso gp style gauge cluster and some dual morimoto HID projectors. Also, I ride my bandit very fast and I like the wind protection from the fairing. 

I have all the same mods as you except my exhaust is Holeshot.  I had gold valves until I swapped to the 'busa front end.  Forks have Racetech springs and the rear is Eibach.  I like the old-school analog gauges so when I went naked I grafted 1st gen Speed Triple headlights to the cut-down fairing stay.

I don't ride so fast, rarely triple digits, but I use the Pilot Power 3s all the way to the edges.  And I prefer to be in the wind - much less turbulent than the stock screen.  Try it, you'll like it. 

Took the rear end apart looking for a license plate light that didn't exist. PO did the tail tidy thing along with the integrated turn signal taillight and called it a day there. I had to pop the seat to put the battery tender leads in the battery anyway so I decided to figure out why the license plate had no light. Shame this vendor didn't put it in the brake light but an aftermarket light is on the way. 

IMG_20170604_142457593_HDR.jpg

Been having issues with crank case fumes billowing out of the little cone filter I put directly on the calve cover breather lately and figured that was not a good look. Bought a few feet of 1/2 ID hose and relocated the breather back behind the motor hoping that the fumes would cool enough to not look like smoke. Did not work. 

Wondering if it would be kosher if I used a T fitting to tie that breather into the trans breather that then vents into the oil reservoir. Trans and crank case should be at the same pressure, shouldn't hurt, right? 

Oh, also I took a can of engine bright and a toothbrush to the motor cases below the carbs and hosed it down, so it doesn't have those super cool brown gasoline stains that let everyone know 'hey, I own a cool vintage bike'. 

Adios, street cred....

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Wondering if it would be kosher if I used a T fitting to tie that breather into the trans breather that then vents into the oil reservoir. Trans and crank case should be at the same pressure, shouldn't hurt, right?

The trans and crankcase are the same pressure, but somewhere you still have to vent to atmosphere or you'll pressurize the inside of your motor.  Normally, the vent is connected to the airbox so those fumes get sucked back in.  I assume you've removed the box in favor of pod filters?  Can you run the vent from the top of the valve cover to the back of the bike?  An oil catch can will help if you're getting fluid out of your vent line.

1 hour ago, MSerfozo said:

The trans and crankcase are the same pressure, but somewhere you still have to vent to atmosphere or you'll pressurize the inside of your motor.  Normally, the vent is connected to the airbox so those fumes get sucked back in.  I assume you've removed the box in favor of pod filters?  Can you run the vent from the top of the valve cover to the back of the bike?  An oil catch can will help if you're getting fluid out of your vent line.

It's like you skimmed my post....

The trans breather vents into the oil tank (dry sump motor) which is pretty much atmosphere. 

I'm running open velocity stacks, that's why no airbox. 

The vent is currently ran to the back of the bike, that's what I did to my bike yesterday. 

Keep up man. 

11 hours ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

relocated the breather back behind the motor

You did not say how far behind the motor.  I assumed since the smoke was still bothering you, it was not far enough back.  My bad for assuming.

I also gleaned from reading your post, that you had an oil reservoir and it's likely a dry sump, and your signature confirms it to be a '73 Honda.

Now to answer your question, the Rabbis would need to know if the oil tank has it's own physical vent or if it's at atmosphere because it's vented through the trans and crankcase to the valve cover vent.

Got my oil temp gauge in the mail and stopped by summit to buy a fitting to allow me to thread the sending unit from the gauge into my oil cooler lines. Got home, tried to dry fit it and the sending unit that came with the gauge was way too long, bottomed out in the inside of the fitting well before any threads we're engaged. Found a super short one in summit catalog, picking it up tomorrow. Then I can try and devise a way to bar mount a gauge meant to go in a car dashboard. 

Installed the led license plate light and took it out for a spin. Checked pressure on the tires and both were way over the spec. PO must have had a reason, maybe not but now I know why the grip felt so weird in turns.