What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:01 PM, vf1000ride said:

Dude, it's a Triumph.  They still have the same issues as the cars did with the Lucas electrics in them.  You need an electric smoke refill kit.  I used all of mine while fixing my Sprint the one time or I would let you have my bottle.  Looks like;

Lucas_zps8e6b60d9.jpg

You know why the English drink warm beer?

Lucas also make refrigerators...:p

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

@jacobhawkins you gonna switch the bodywork from track to street to track back to street every time you want to ride??? I'm far too lazy for that, I'll be switching body work on a tuesday and taking it back off on friday lol.

Yep, if I can do it in two hours, I'm good.  Plus it will give me a chance to go over everything several times a year.

• Upvote 2

"significant vacuum leak from throttle body boots."

Maybe that's why the Triumph was running funky and didn't like to cold start. Looking at the service manual, replacing the boots doesn't seem terribly difficult. Unless of course someone on here knows otherwise?

Edited by what

12 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Hack technician didn't tighten the clamps, then? 

Sounds like they dry-rotted. I'm inclined to believe them as the bike developed a bit of a whistle the last few times I had it running and throttle response was really sluggish. I remembered the bike being a lot snappier when I bought it but thought I was just looking back with rose-colored glasses, until I rode the SV a few days ago and the front came up a little when I got on the throttle hard. I know for a fact the Triumph used to pull harder than the SV but the front hasn't been light on that bike for a while now. 

Edited by what

If you go with new boots check to see if the triumph has o-rings between boot and motor. Some of the Kaws do and I didn't realize it so I had to wait another week on the o-rings when doing mine

3 minutes ago, Killer_kaw said:

If you go with new boots check to see if the triumph has o-rings between boot and motor. Some of the Kaws do and I didn't realize it so I had to wait another week on the o-rings when doing mine

Thanks for the advice. There are o-rings on my specific model, but the newer version (2013+) they replaced them with Fixodent. 

5 minutes ago, what said:

sounds like they dry-rotted. I'm inclined to believe them as the bike developed a bit of a whistle the last few times I had it running and throttle response was really sluggish. 

you can also silicone caulk them as a standby until you feel like getting them replaced and verify the cause.

2 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Yanked my Hayes for mechanical Tektro. Sick to shit of hydraulic brake quirks. I just wanna ride in the woods. I don't need downhill brakes. Installed some shitty Avid FR5 lever and Aquila calipers. Time to crash into some trees. :eek: 

Also replaced 6 spokes in the rear wheel and spent a few hours dishing and truing. So, I have 6 DT Swiss spokes and 26 shitty Chinese spokes in my rear wheel. I'm going to regret not rebuilding the whole thing. I just know it. 

You and tonik today, posting bikes in the bike threads and bikes in the bike threads. Not only are you a mod, youre the mod of the pedal bike forum.

https://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/111273-what-did-you-do-to-your-bicycle-today/

I walked past my salty bike in the garage a half dozen times today.  I have an early trip tomorrow and I'd like to take it to work at o-dark thirty, but I'll have to judge the safety of that when I get up at 4.  It's going to dip into sub-freezing temps tonight.  I'm hoping the strong wind is going to dry out the roads.  We'll see. 

• Upvote 2

New seals/oil dropped off at @Hoblick's place, who's being awesome and rebuilding my track bike's new forks. 

Upper triple clamp removed from the track bike to get bored out by 1mm tomorrow or Saturday.

Test ride scheduled for Sunday on a possible switchamaroo for this season. 

Yep, productive day. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...