What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

Well fuck.

Was installing my new shock and the bike fell off the stands. Bike being on its side actually made getting the new shock in way easier. Managed to get it partially up. Currently sitting on front fork stand and swingarm until I can find some help lifting the rear end up enough to get a spool stand under it. Of course I attempted this while I'm home sick from work with a cold because why the fuck not? 

Shoulda just stayed in bed and watched the expanse. 

20190327_142428.jpg

• Sad 1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only real damage besides my pride was the carbon fiber end cap of my yoshi pipe. At first I thought it was just a scuff, but its cracked and buckled as well. Just fired this letter off to sales at yoshi r&d. Let's see if my literary and ass-kissing skills can net me a freebie.

Hello,

Let me open by saying I've been using your exhaust systems on my motorcycles for about ten years now and I am always impressed with the quality of fit and finish, performance and sound of yoshimura exhausts. They are my go-to. I will never use another brand. 

Today while working on my 2018 Suzuki GSX-S 1000F it fell off the stands and the carbon fiber tip of my beautiful new alpha series muffler was scuffed and cracked. While the scuff can likely be wet sanded out, the buckled and cracked carbon fiber looks to be irreparable. Can you sell to me directly or point me to a dealer who can sell me a replacement? 

Any help you can offer me in this matter would be greatly appreciated. I am eager to restore my motorcycle to its former glory and the yoshi pipe was really the crown jewel on an already gorgeous bike. Thank you for your time and attention, I look forward to your reply.

Thanks again and have a great day.

Sam

P.s.  I am not above accepting free stuff in recognition of my brand loyalty and fanboy-ism. 

22 minutes ago, Pauly said:

You called me out yesterday on my "Eurosnobbery", but at least I don't lick dirty Imperialist boots. 

You make me sick. Literally... I had to call off work today. :lol: 

If it gets me some free shit I'll clean and shine them boots before I lick em. I got my pride, but last time I checked it wasn't an option at checkout on revzilla or riders discount. 

20 hours ago, Gixxus Christ! said:

Well fuck.

Was installing my new shock and the bike fell off the stands. Bike being on its side actually made getting the new shock in way easier. Managed to get it partially up. Currently sitting on front fork stand and swingarm until I can find some help lifting the rear end up enough to get a spool stand under it. Of course I attempted this while I'm home sick from work with a cold because why the fuck not? 

Shoulda just stayed in bed and watched the expanse. 

20190327_142428.jpg

Welp, might as well make it a full track bike now.

• Like 2

Put on the front Roadsmart 3 tire on and discovered I should probably replace my front brakes as well. Waiting on new chain, sprockets, and dampener set to arrive before I put the rear on. I’ll maybe add some pics of my hillbilly tire removal and install later. 

• Haha 1

For your entertainment:

hillbilly step 1 - hook ratchet straps to angle iron on the garage ceiling, attach ratchets to upper triple and lift front wheel 

Fg0QJGe.jpg

Step 2 - remove wheel

8qpdxig.jpg

step 3 - place wheel on 4x4s with carpet stapled to them and set them on the sturdy old card table stored in the garage 

eEtUSQ5.jpg

Step 4 - remove brake rotors and valve stem core

5M0AKgC.jpg

the best is yet to come

Step 5 - strategically back truck into garage so you have the right amount of clearance to place those wonderfully crafted padded 4x4s under the hitch so you can place your bead breaker and bar on your tire

c5f2nDS.jpg

Step 6 - use tire irons to remove tire

sTjyE4C.jpg

Step 7 - lube up new tire with soapy water and install using tire irons 

RxPJGjW.jpg

step 8 - take tire and 4x4s back to sturdy card table, reinsert core, air tire up to pressure, be sure bead sets, reinstall rotors

step 9 - install tire back on the bike and lower it back to the ground, ready to go riding 

ub3trga.jpg

Warning - step 5 requires a hillbilly engineering  degree 

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, durk said:

Step 5 - strategically back truck into garage so you have the right amount of clearance to place those wonderfully crafted padded 4x4s under the hitch so you can place your bead breaker and bar on your tire

c5f2nDS.jpg

Step 6 - use tire irons to remove tire

sTjyE4C.jpg

Step 7 - lube up new tire with soapy water and install using tire irons 

RxPJGjW.jpg

step 8 - take tire and 4x4s back to sturdy card table, reinsert core, air tire up to pressure, be sure bead sets, reinstall rotors

step 9 - install tire back on the bike and lower it back to the ground, ready to go riding 

ub3trga.jpg

Warning - step 5 requires a hillbilly engineering  degree 

Brilliant hillbilly ingenuity, I was hoping you would use a can of ether and a zippo to bead the tires, but you must not be from west-by-god. Also, gorgeous bike. 

7 hours ago, Gixxus Christ! said:

Brilliant hillbilly ingenuity, I was hoping you would use a can of ether and a zippo to bead the tires, but you must not be from west-by-god. Also, gorgeous bike. 

I’ve only had to use ether once when I couldn’t get a bead to set. Thanks for the compliment on the bike. As I was posting this hillbilly crap I thought of you and the fact that you were using appropriate stands and had your bike fall. Then there’s me hanging crap from the ceiling and popping beads with my truck hitch. Glad to see there was minimal damage to your bike and it’s getting fixed for a minimal cost. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, durk said:

I’ve only had to use ether once when I couldn’t get a bead to set. Thanks for the compliment on the bike. As I was posting this hillbilly crap I thought of you and the fact that you were using appropriate stands and had your bike fall. Then there’s me hanging crap from the ceiling and popping beads with my truck hitch. Glad to see there was minimal damage to your bike and it’s getting fixed for a minimal cost. 

Oh I was totally doing hillbilly shit. Front was on a triple tree stand but I had the back jacked up with a harbor freight floor jack under the exhaust lmfao. Next house will have a 500 lb chain hoist in the ceiling for reasons. 

• Upvote 1

Eh... I decided it wasn't perfect, so I redid it. Moved the controls out another 10mm and pulled the brake line and rotated it 180 degrees at the left caliper and master cylinder. This allows the banjo fitting at the master to turn down, instead of towards the triple tree. That gave me some extra slack required to move the master out, as well. So, the handlebar install is done well enough to satisfy my inner perfectionist. 

I thought I might tap the bar end to install the OEM weights, but they are threaded at 14x1.5mm and the bar ID is just over 14mm. So, no dice without drilling it thinner and machining a threaded insert. Too much drama for one weekend. 

Now I have to spend some time considering which bar weights are the least aesthetically unappealing. There are some shit products out there. All the nice stuff is twice what I paid for the handlebar. 

• Upvote 1