What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/8/2024 at 8:28 PM, Pauly said:

Spent some time pulling more cabinet facing off the Tupperware. Almost there and thought about going all the way, but my fingers started to protest. Two fat blisters on my thumb and index fingers quelled my enthusiasm. Very pleased with the way it’slooking so far.

20240308_162056.jpg

Wood dash is classay.  
Definitely a keeper. 

I mounted the speed sensor more permanently on my lower fork leg using Sugru, same as the old bike. The tape will hold it in position until the Sugru cures, about 24 hours

IMG_4352.thumb.jpeg.074e88734ea879bc3b334874283e0787.jpeg

then put one of the new decals on the topcase to make it official 

IMG_4353.thumb.jpeg.4a879633d24630afcb17789f1867d3cb.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced the dealer installed new Bridgestone Battlax Sport Touring T32 Rear that was installed per my request as part of the sales deal with Iron Pony. ONLY 3,875 miles and WTF. What Bad luck with that choice. So Today I Installed a good old reliable Metzeler Tourance.

B.S. Battlax S.T. T32.JPG

Metzeler Tourance.JPG

Edited by B-Mac
  • Upvote 2

I've wanted an adventure bike for a while.  I've ridden many gravel roads on the Goldwings, Connie, dirt bikes, and sport bikes.  I came across a leftover 23 Husky, so I finally pulled the trigger:

20240405_135315.jpg

• Upvote 4

Began the process of spooning on some new shoes for the Wing last night. Just removed the tires lasts night. I spooned the new ones on today. Pain in the butt to spoon off as well as on, but new tires are on. 

Z93btD5.jpeg4jOkt8y.jpeg02Jgq4h.jpegnnv8sIc.jpegK07YFa9.jpeg0cA8n0S.jpegShnzPRi.jpegcLw4Jum.jpeg

• Upvote 4

I removed more paneling and the arm rest brackets Amanda said she would never use. Reinstalled the giant wind deflectors, which are hideous but very effective. Changed the oil and filter. Rode it to work yesterday.

Turned 27k on the ride home. Also rides like a dream at 85mph. 

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pauly said:

I removed more paneling and the arm rest brackets Amanda said she would never use. Reinstalled the giant wind deflectors, which are hideous but very effective. Changed the oil and filter. Rode it to work yesterday.

Turned 27k on the ride home. Also rides like a dream at 85mph. 

I’m assuming the wind deflectors allow you to get some air directed at you? I feel like I pretty much ride in dead air even with the windshield vent open. I need to find a way to get more air flowing, especially on my face. 

1 hour ago, durk said:

I’m assuming the wind deflectors allow you to get some air directed at you? I feel like I pretty much ride in dead air even with the windshield vent open. I need to find a way to get more air flowing, especially on my face. 

Both.

Closed: Directs air further away from pilot and passenger.

Open: Redirects air onto pilot and passenger. 

• Upvote 1

If you two would get a newer wing you could use them to deflect warm air from the radiators on you in the cold, or block it in the heat.

Durks radiator air flows ass backwards. Paulys may too.

Edited by Tonik

42 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Caution: They SUCK at deflecting minivans. 

You being here to post that is pretty strong evidence that they do a great job.

• Upvote 2

Woke mine up from its winter nap yesterday.  Needs a new front tire before I leave for Texas on may 5th.  Just turned 100,000 on the clock when I put it away last fall   

IMG_6327.jpeg

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Pauly said:

Caution: They SUCK at deflecting minivans.

Those pictures hurt to look at. Glad you and your passenger are both still here with us. Thanks for the information too. I may look into a set of deflectors. 

• Beer 1

16 hours ago, Tonik said:

You being here to post that is pretty strong evidence that they do a great job.

The Kraut helmet I was wearing saved me. The flat-six stopped the minivan. The air deflectors were pretty good at air management, though. 

at 1200 miles I made the change today to synthetic oil on Sunny2.0. Motul 7100 20W-50. And she is purring like a happy cat. So I wandered around a bit to feel her out and man, does the DR like the 20W. Shifts like butter. 
Ready now for leaving next Monday for a week in Appomattox VA and the Horizons Unlimited event there. After that? The Yukon and Alaska!

DSCN4271.thumb.jpeg.7974b15950332ceba893552baa90715a.jpegDSCN4272.thumb.jpeg.43db950097c538890d747abb352ff7e5.jpeg

I sold what’s left of the old bike along with the unused parts from the new bike to a fellow DR650 enthusiast who has the tools and capabilities to rebuild motors. 
He sent me pictures of the old lump. As suspected, the cage on the main bearing failed. Somehow bizzarrely, no apparent damage anywhere in the motor other than some scoring on the crank. He’s replacing the bearing a confident she will run again!

IMG_5842.thumb.jpeg.30a2ea7ddfe33e350f9a4671d4479a51.jpegIMG_5835.thumb.jpeg.a354c99e3ced148d616d1fbf3d69c97e.jpeg

Edited by Danimal
  • Beer 1
  • Upvote 1