What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rushed home from work and snuck in over 100 miles. I’m afraid it may be my last ride for the year. I hope not, but the weather doesn’t seem to want to cooperate. 
BGVSud4.jpg

Cq10N7P.jpg

Edited by durk
  • Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Hows the "big girl" treating you?

Pretty good for the most part. She rolls pretty well. Deceptively fast. I often find myself riding just as fast as I would on the CBR without noticing it, especially with the bigger of the 2 windshields I have. I’m not as aggressive in corners as I would be with the CBR, but I still get after it a bit. The biggest bonus is the wife has actually asked to take the bike occasionally. She isn’t quite up to my all day long trips but we have made a couple 1.5 hr runs. She’s not quite super comfortable yet. I do have her convinced to maybe try out a Goldwing with me with the idea of possibly longer trips. Thanks for asking. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, durk said:

Pretty good for the most part. She rolls pretty well. Deceptively fast. I often find myself riding just as fast as I would on the CBR without noticing it, especially with the bigger of the 2 windshields I have. I’m not as aggressive in corners as I would be with the CBR, but I still get after it a bit. The biggest bonus is the wife has actually asked to take the bike occasionally. She isn’t quite up to my all day long trips but we have made a couple 1.5 hr runs. She’s not quite super comfortable yet. I do have her convinced to maybe try out a Goldwing with me with the idea of possibly longer trips. Thanks for asking. 

Great idea!  The big girl is deceptively fun, but the Wing 2 up is tough to beat.

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

Motor started ticking and there's some metal in the oil. Early DRZs have camchain issues, I'll throw a new camchain on it, no biggie. 1312557738_drzrightside.thumb.JPG.6191809c62048435b7ebec582c74b20e.JPG

Still ticking, NOPE must be bottom end issue D'OH.

• Sad 2

21 hours ago, RymerC said:

Motor started ticking and there's some metal in the oil. Early DRZs have camchain issues, I'll throw a new camchain on it, no biggie. 1312557738_drzrightside.thumb.JPG.6191809c62048435b7ebec582c74b20e.JPG

Still ticking, NOPE must be bottom end issue D'OH.

Check the can chain tensioner.  Some of them had issues.   I had a DRZ400 that the previous owner changed the cam chain tensioner to an aftermarket for a similar reason. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Connie14 said:

Check the can chain tensioner.  Some of them had issues.   I had a DRZ400 that the previous owner changed the cam chain tensioner to an aftermarket for a similar reason. 

I wish it were that easy. I've already replaced the camchain and tensioner on this one.

• 3 weeks later...

Got one of these which seemed pretty slick if you don't have usb or voltmeter. 

It measured 12.5 in the car even when i gave it gas but it is a CVT.

Measured a spare battery at 13.2 with a regular voltmeter. This thing 12.5.  Measured a 9v batt.. 12.5

Raising hell with the seller. 

Image 2 - Dual Ports 3.1A USB Car Cigarette Charger Lighter Digital LED Voltmeter 12V/24V

Edited by motocat12
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I finally got off my butt and started my winter project.  I bought a crashed Bandit last spring that had a very nicely built motor along with Brembo brakes and masters and a RaceTech built shock.  The suspension/brake parts went on immediately but the motor swap was planned for a "winter project".

image.png.c5d9890ca8ee4b1a7fb6b57234763945.png

I finally got busy last Saturday with getting mine ready to become the transplant recipient.  I pulled the exhaust, oil cooler, lower motor mounts, and sprocket cover.  After I get the carbs and a couple of electrical connections loose, it'll be time to R&R the motor.

image.png.e52db5005e61073a25ef303ed52fcd88.png

image.png.a08eec11a53e1b61f3a3dc1a0c1ee969.png

I'm not sure what to do about this exhaust.  Should I try to have it recoated or just polish it as good as I can and go with it?  It's been on there for 18 years - guess I can't complain.

image.png.b1cddf0a95a3292c8115cfbcf5e79704.png

Edited by MSerfozo
  • Upvote 2

The exhaust is probably a jet-hot ceramic coat job. Left alone, eventually would be a rust hole somewhere....

It's easier to deal with it while it's off the bike..

-Jeez, I'm all caught up in my bike wrenching, first time in a few years..waiting for spring!

Edited by mello dude

51 minutes ago, mello dude said:

The exhaust is probably a jet-hot ceramic coat job. Left alone, eventually would be a rust hole somewhere....

It's easier to deal with it while it's off the bike..

Any advice on where I can get it recoated?

1 hour ago, MSerfozo said:

Any advice on where I can get it recoated?

I only know of Jet Hot.. but there are others.... this is on my "to do" list, but not this season... (I hate effn with header studs)

https://www.jet-hot.com/

Other example... 

https://nitroplate.com/news/

Idea.. maybe Hoblick would know a source... 

On 2/15/2022 at 5:30 PM, mello dude said:

I only know of Jet Hot.. but there are others.... this is on my "to do" list, but not this season... (I hate effn with header studs)

https://www.jet-hot.com/

Thanks for the ideas, mello dude.  I got a quote for $450 from Jet Hot to strip it and coat with a satin finish.  If the price was half of that, I'd have it packed and shipped to NC today.  They do claim it's lifetime guaranteed, whatever that means...

Do you (or anybody else) have any experience with them?

Scotchbrite and SOS are pretty cheap. I would attempt to clean the header myself before I paid someone to coat it. It's just a streetbike, when it's all said and done. The exhaust is going to look like every other exhaust after a season or two, anyway. 

Feedback I'm getting is a power coating place that does 2000 degree high temp Cerakote is a good way to go too......

If I'm being cheap, I sand the effe outta it and use a 2000 degree ceramic paint on it. The trouble with that is it needs to oven baked on for any longevity.....

Edited by mello dude